Author Topic: Ground squirrels  (Read 1148 times)

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
Ground squirrels
« on: July 26, 2020, 03:34:35 PM »
Wow I never knew ground squirrels could be so destructive. Have started thinning them out with an air rifle. Any other suggestions?

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Ground squirrels
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 03:49:53 PM »
Be carefull because if they are wounded,they can attack you and they bite the balls .

Longranger

• USA, Bonsall Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 07:02:18 PM »
I always wear a cup when I hunt. :P

Epicatt2

• Fruit forest in progress . . .
    • Tampa, FL / Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2020, 08:23:55 PM »
Longranger, try this:

Mix together some wheat germ and concrete powder together half & half and add one or two drops of anise oil and stir it in well.

Put the mix in a bowl and place where squirrels will find it, but where it is protected from the dew and rain (obviously).  Put a bowl of water nearby because they will be thirsty after eating this mix.

I had squirrels chewing up my orchid collection one year and used this mix successfully to rid my yard of them here in Florida.

Also since this mix is not a poison per se then any cat or hawk, etc. that catches one of these affected squirrels won't be poisoned second-hand.

Best of all the rodents never develop an immunity to this mix.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 09:03:57 PM by Epicatt2 »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 08:50:34 PM »
I use a modified squirrelinator. I use wire to secure the lid shut, otherwise the squirrels can escape.

I bait upside down in a shaded area for three days, and on the fourth, I flip and check often.

Then I switch spots and continue.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 09:29:07 PM »
Longranger, try this:

Mix together some wheat germ and concrete powder together half & half and add one or two drops of anise oil and stir it in well.

Put the mix in a bowl and place where squirrels will find it, but where it is protected from the dew and rain (obviously).  Put a bowl of water nearby because they will be thirsty after eating this mix.

I had squirrels chewing up my orchid collection one year and used this mix successfully to rid my yard of them here in Florida.

Also since this mix is not a poison per se then any cat or hawk, etc. that catches one of these affected squirrels won't be poisoned second-hand.

Best of all the rodents never develop an immunity to this mix.

OK — HTH

Paul M.
==

Nice one!
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 09:31:02 PM »
I use a modified squirrelinator. I use wire to secure the lid shut, otherwise the squirrels can escape.

I bait upside down in a shaded area for three days, and on the fourth, I flip and check often.

Thry seem to be ignoring my squirrenator this year.  Squirrels are a major pain to deal with.  Im considering gwtting some cats but my neighbor said that they wont hunt unless their mom teaches them how as a baby. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 11:45:59 PM »
After posting that they ignor the squirrelinator went outside and found 2 in there

Also ordered one of these in the rust resistant version but havent tried it yet.  It has pretty stellar reviews on amazon.  Only issue is it gas to be reset each time and cant catch multiples like the squirrelinator.

https://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/products.php?mi=44491&itemnum=35803

« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:48:22 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 11:58:52 PM »

Thry seem to be ignoring my squirrenator this year.  Squirrels are a major pain to deal with.  Im considering gwtting some cats but my neighbor said that they wont hunt unless their mom teaches them how as a baby.
Female cats are the biggest hunters.Males dont hunt nearly as much.
Female cat plus sterilisation and food for the rest of her life is expensive to be used as a rat repellent.
All cats are chasing little animals that move ,even if they dont hunt.
My male cat is chasing my squirrel on the ground while she is jumping from branch to branch and tree to tree .
And sometimes she barks at him.
He will never catch the squirrel thogh ( endangered tree squirrel not ground squirrel).
I dont like when they catch sparrows and i saved a few sparrows ( also a pigeon/ dove ,that the cat jumped with her in mouth from a tree and they i runned after the cat until he released the pigeon wich then flew away)from their jaws right after they caught them.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 12:33:30 AM »
On comunist times we would call the guy from ,,The most belowed of earthlings,, and he would come from the gulag to deal with the rodents  ;D.
The title refers to a verry much loved person like Kim Jong Un( or Ceausescu) but the book is about a philosopher intelectual thats send to gulag and after he is freed he works as the rat control man .
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cel_mai_iubit_dintre_p%C4%83m%C3%A2nteni

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 08:51:35 PM »

I have a cat from a breeder so he didn’t learn hunting from his mom. He learned hunting rats and gophers by himself. He does chase squirrels (tree or ground).

That being said, squirrels are pretty agile and they have very sharp teeth. They are tough preys for cats and cats may not risk it unless they are desperate (or inexperienced). They could serve as a good deterrent though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk