Author Topic: What do you think is a Gardener/ Farmers best friend?  (Read 1244 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
What do you think is a Gardener/ Farmers best friend?
« on: July 27, 2020, 11:12:01 AM »

I've noticed a trend every spring the squirrel population explodes in my neighborhood. Then in the summer a hoot owl visit my neighborhood and eliminates the squirrels. Dozens have vanished! I used to have a 60 foot tall Laurel oak tree.  In 2004 hurricane Charley damage the heart of the trunk but it's survived until Irma came to town and split it right in half. That owl or its siblings used to frequent that tree and would keep me up at night and I would curse at the owls.  Now this seems to be it's home hunting ground and even though the tree is gone he still visits.  I have nothing but praise for him because of my mango trees and guavas. I have a whole new perspective :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:23:07 AM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think is a Gardener/ Farmers best friend?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »
My best friend would probably be a shovel. I don't like birds of prey because they eat my chickens instead of the squirrels.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 01:13:33 PM »
My best friend would probably be a shovel. I don't like birds of prey because they eat my chickens instead of the squirrels.
My neighbors point take well taken  :)

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:52:18 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 11:07:37 PM »
Been living in a city and i like to hear owls at night.
I even like to hear dogs barking at night or roosters in the morning.

I even find relaxing to hear the ships engines passing on the Danube at night when i go fishing and sleep outdoor.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 11:34:19 PM »
Been living in a city and i like to hear owls at night.
I even like to hear dogs barking at night or roosters in the morning.

I even find relaxing to hear the ships engines passing on the Danube at night when i go fishing and sleep outdoor.
Sea Walnut how are your almond trees coming along. When are you going to get a decent long-range camera? I would love to see  photos from your country. Here is a photo of Ugly Betty who likes to eat mangoes and baby ducks

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 11:37:52 PM by bovine421 »

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 02:48:05 AM »
I know those snapping turtles from TV.We dont have them in Europe.
Just came from one of the almond fields where i installed chicken wire around 58 trees today.
Will post pictures in the chicken wire tree protection forum i made .

As for the camera,i bought this drone DJI Phantom wich came with the 4 K camera for free.
Its a Phantom 1 ,the oldest model from DJI and not the newer expensive ones .
I am building a custom battery for it to fly a lot longer time and longer range ,then il make nice videos with all my trees and also i want to film with the drone where Nitraria Scoberi grows .

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 06:03:24 AM »
I always appreciate a good rain.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 06:08:42 AM »
I know those snapping turtles from TV.We dont have them in Europe.
Just came from one of the almond fields where i installed chicken wire around 58 trees today.
Will post pictures in the chicken wire tree protection forum i made .

As for the camera,i bought this drone DJI Phantom wich came with the 4 K camera for free.
Its a Phantom 1 ,the oldest model from DJI and not the newer expensive ones .
I am building a custom battery for it to fly a lot longer time and longer range ,then il make nice videos with all my trees and also i want to film with the drone where Nitraria Scoberi grows .

That is way cool my friend i am very happy for you can't wait to see photos of your trees.  I do think you should plant a few pecans tree's. In Texas they have a fast-growing variety not sure of the name. Ugly Betty is actually a softshell turtle she would be highly insulted if she knew you called her alligator snapping turtle. LOL :) :D ;D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 06:16:13 AM by bovine421 »

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 06:46:36 AM »
+1 , nothing like knowing u dont have to water your garden for 2-3 days...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 08:52:09 AM »
Especially when you think of other parts of the country (West) where rain is scarce and drought common.  As much as I love the home state, California, I'm grateful it rains here in spite of the hot and muggy summer weather.
John

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 09:14:55 AM »
Hopefully we'll get a pass and there will be no tropical storms or hurricanes this year

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 05:04:47 PM by bovine421 »