Author Topic: ISO Coffee Seed  (Read 1214 times)

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
ISO Coffee Seed
« on: July 30, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »
Just wanna get ahead of everything before the ripening of these things. I’d love to buy bulk seeds of coffee for planting! I will be container growing them. Doesn’t really matter what type. Shoot me a pm if you have/will have any fresh berries in the future.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: ISO Coffee Seed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 08:54:47 PM »

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 09:15:18 PM »
I am a little worried to try green coffee purchased like that, I have tried in the past with very negative results. Looking mostly for coffee cherries if possible!

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 12:20:02 AM »
Theres sellers in hawaii selling fresh seed on ebay.  I've started them and they all sprout, I've got a couple trees from from those seeds planted outside now after a year or 2 in a pot. 
Brad Spaugh

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 07:32:47 AM »
Good idea, thank you!

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 07:16:53 PM »
Tried a few vendors on coffee seeds on eBay without any luck on sprouting. Gave a month and they all rotted away. Anyone have any for sale in bulk? Pm me. Looking for 50+ seeds.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 09:19:39 PM »
The seeds need a lot of heat to sprout and often take a month or more to sprout.  Some seeds are just like that.  I had some canistel seeds and annonas sprout up 6 months later.  If they are rotting, your medium may be over saturated.
Brad Spaugh

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 09:35:40 PM »
I used the same method as last time lol. I had 12/15 seeds germinate from when I got them from a member here, this time there was nothing. Germination mat and I used a jiffy station, used my own mix of 50:50 perlite and peat. Used grow lights and all. They were in there for about a month and a week maybe? Most of them just rotted away, the embryo blackened. Perhaps I kept too much humidity? Or as you stated, too much moisture.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 09:41:17 PM »
I used the same method as last time lol. I had 12/15 seeds germinate from when I got them from a member here, this time there was nothing. Germination mat and I used a jiffy station, used my own mix of 50:50 perlite and peat. Used grow lights and all. They were in there for about a month and a week maybe? Most of them just rotted away, the embryo blackened. Perhaps I kept too much humidity? Or as you stated, too much moisture.

Frank, I think you can even use green coffee seeds from a coffee shop.  You could ask around if any of the places roast their own beans.  Ive got a friend that roasts his own coffee and had green beans.  If he lived closer I would get you some.  He has bug 20lb bags of it. 
Brad Spaugh

franklazar26

• WI, Zone 5A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 09:56:57 PM »
That’s a good idea! I’ll have to check around. Thanks! Also, do you happen to still sell avocado seeds/budwood? I have quite a few rootstock grown from seeds I bought from you a while back.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk