Author Topic: Year-round Mamey Sapote  (Read 254 times)

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
Year-round Mamey Sapote
« on: April 22, 2024, 06:12:58 PM »
I’d like to grow excellent mamey year-round. I have:
Pace. Mar-Apr
Cepeda and Akil Especial. Apr-Jun
Pantin and Lorito. Jul-Aug
Viejo. Dec
Jamaica coming soon from Julian Lara. Winter

The biggest gap is Sept-Nov, though we still get Pantin in September. Abuelo is listed in https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/MG331.pdf
as an excellent flavored fruit bearing from Oct-Nov. They list the source of the cultivar as Bienvenido, Suarez (Acosta). I haven’t heard of it anywhere else and don’t have a source of scionwood.
Lara is listed as Sept-Nov and especially excellent quality. I notice Julian doesn’t list it on his online store. But perhaps he has a tree?
Does anyone have any information on Lara or Abuelo mamey?

Thanks!  Steph

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Year-round Mamey Sapote
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 09:17:14 AM »
Julian is selling Lara mamey trees. Check his website under 1 gallon mameys and it is currently in stock.
Alexi

pineflatwoods

• Collier County, FL zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 11:39:15 AM »
Hello. In S. Florida I am growing
Pace- spring (Apr-May)
Lorito- summer (May- Jul)
And I just got one from Julian that is called Jamaica it's supposed to be a winter time fruit.
Not sure when these would ripen in HI. Julian @ Lara farms has provided me with all the trees/info

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 09:33:16 PM »
Thanks Tropicalgrower89,
You’re right. I’d swear that it wasn’t there before but thanks, I’ll get that one.

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 09:36:10 PM »
Thanks Pineflatwoods,
The mamey have the same seasons for us here at low elevation in Hawaii as you have in Florida. I’ll see if the season shifts at 1350’ where I’ve just planted two of each variety I have.

Yes, I have the Jamaica on order from Julian.

pineflatwoods

• Collier County, FL zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 10:25:47 PM »
I need to go back there to pick up a few trees; maybe I can pick his brain a bit. His workers are knowledgeable as well. Mamey are still fairly new to me, apparently this Jamaica was growing in the USDA miami-dade collection for many years. Makes you wonder what other hidden gems they have been sitting on.

Good luck with your experiment

FruitGrower

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2024, 11:09:27 PM »
It seems you have a gap in Jan-Feb, have you ever considered green sapote to fill out the year? The ones I had, Whitman, were in that time period and as good as or better than any Mamey I’ve had.

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2024, 11:17:32 PM »
That’s right Fruitgrower,

Green sapote are very nice. We have Poamoho and Makawao ( Hawaiian selections). Finer texture than mamey, easier to ascertain ripeness as their skin turns orange. For us they start in January and we still have some on our big old tree. Unfortunately at low elevation here the texture is poor when the fruit is allowed to get fully orange on the tree so these late fruits are not so good to eat. But yes, put green sapote in for Jan-Feb. add Lara and Jamaica and we’re good for year round fruits. Thanks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk