Author Topic: Annona hybrids  (Read 2524 times)

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Annona hybrids
« on: February 16, 2013, 02:52:50 PM »
I recall reading in the past about work on interspecific hybrids in Annona (or even intergeneric with Rollinia or Duguetia).  I believe that work was being done in the US, Australia, South Africa, & Israel however, all I ever saw was vague references to work being done.  Does anyone know any good resources on this or can anyone shed any light on things that may have been introduced as a result?  One of our local nurseries will graft trees with a atemoya backcrossed onto squamosa.  I plan on picking up a tree or two of that be I am wondering if there is anything else out there...

John

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Annona hybrids
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »
The commercial cv Maroochy Gold here is a Hilary White x red squamosa. It's good, but getting hard to obtain for non commercial growers. There is some info in here http://books.google.com.au/books?id=AxbUJntXepEC&pg=PA77&lpg=PA77&dq=maroochy+gold+atemoya&source=bl&ots=hvBMm28O4H&sig=jtCRQYhSTxpr-9nDFvpnT7vZDzc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0-QfUZuMGcahkgX3poGQAg&ved=0CE8Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=maroochy%20gold%20atemoya&f=false p76-77 don't know about US introductions.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 03:20:58 PM »
John,

glad to know you...I don't usually see people reference studies about interspecific hybrids of Annonas.

Your on my buddy list now!

PS  I beleive Guanabanus has some good info about this subject.

I recall reading in the past about work on interspecific hybrids in Annona (or even intergeneric with Rollinia or Duguetia).  I believe that work was being done in the US, Australia, South Africa, & Israel however, all I ever saw was vague references to work being done.  Does anyone know any good resources on this or can anyone shed any light on things that may have been introduced as a result?  One of our local nurseries will graft trees with a atemoya backcrossed onto squamosa.  I plan on picking up a tree or two of that be I am wondering if there is anything else out there...

John
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 04:03:42 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I suspect 'Maroochy Gold' might be the cultivar I can get locally.   How would you rate fruit flavor / quality?

I'll have to drop Gaunabanas a note on this subject.

John

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:38:24 PM »
Thanks, guys.  I suspect 'Maroochy Gold' might be the cultivar I can get locally.   How would you rate fruit flavor / quality?

I'll have to drop Gaunabanas a note on this subject.

John

Really? Maroochy Gold? I hope you will share. At least share your source. :)

And if you could get to Guanabanus, please share also. I've tried a long while back but he's either swamped or has stopped checking his PMs.

Thera

HIfarm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:48 PM »
Hi Thera,

The place I am talking about locally is in Hilo & I am not sure if they ship.  It is Birds & Buds (808) 959-5750; I think the owner is David if I recall correctly.  I don't recall him telling me the clonal name was Maroochy Gold but it is probably unlikely that there is more than one atemoya x squamosa clone readily available. 

John

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 09:02:00 PM »
Hi Thera,

The place I am talking about locally is in Hilo & I am not sure if they ship.  It is Birds & Buds (808) 959-5750; I think the owner is David if I recall correctly.  I don't recall him telling me the clonal name was Maroochy Gold but it is probably unlikely that there is more than one atemoya x squamosa clone readily available. 

John

Thanks for the info, John.

Actually, an atemoya hybrid (atemoya x a. squamosa) isn't so scarce at all. The most known hybrids (outside of Australia) are Phet Pakchong and Nuathong.

Thera

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk