Author Topic: The biggest collection of tropical fruit trees I have seen  (Read 5326 times)

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
The biggest collection of tropical fruit trees I have seen
« on: June 02, 2012, 06:07:08 AM »

A place I visited today had a greenhouse jam packed with perhaps 100's of rarer tropical fruit species and cultivars and I have never seen so many Garcinias,Eugenias,artocarpus,rambutans,sapotes,annonas and many others of the very best varieties.My assortment is pretty miserable and my level of knowledge is pretty modest compared to the professionals who have been at it for decades.It was so rainy and so rushed I could not get any seeds and no good soncoyas for BMc (sorry) just 2 plants for me.

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
Re: The biggest collection of tropical fruit trees I have seen
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 06:14:39 AM »
Easy to impress me; there are only few small collections here in Uganda but spill your guts and give us some species names!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:23:10 AM by Soren »
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 06:35:52 AM »
Soren I don't know where to start.Cassowaries and pigs ran off when I looked some trees and the rain chased me inside.My place with 100 inches a year must seem like a dustbowl to them and there is even more rain than tully.At least the rain cools down in winter. It was dark at 1pm.

Of the durios there were dozens of the best zibethinus,graveolans, prawn brains (zibeth x graveolans) and all the regular species but D macrantha and laplaes were not there.There was a clean sweep of of rambos and I forgot to ask what pulasans they had.A mind boggling assortment of annonas dominated by soursop and rollinia varieties but no illamas I saw.The artocarpus collection had real muscle in the breadfruit,chempadak,pedalai,kwai muk and jack departments with the prized amber jack fruiting wildly.The garcinias were a sensational assortment of all the good ones I know about.I won't go on. 

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:33:19 AM »
Mike, good to know the soncoya is in your hands, so there will be a good source of seeds in the future. Being from Saleras they'd have to be good ones.
I <3 prawn brains!
Sounds like you had a good time, even in the rain - but you'd be used to that by now, surely?

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:43:51 AM »
BMc you were lucky you had nice weather when you visited and it has rained every day since you left.The wet season just won't let go and I was over it 10 weeks ago.There has been lots of bad weather in the past few seasons and it has been beyond insane for the Salleras farm.
I offered a handfull of seeds that should get lots of good ones in return.Stay tuned.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 07:44:58 AM »
Hi Mike,

WOW :o So many fruit trees in such a small space for sale 8) You definitely had a blast 8)

If I was there....I would go crazy ;D ;D ;D

THX for sharing :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:47:24 AM »
BMc you were lucky you had nice weather when you visited and it has rained every day since you left.The wet season just won't let go and I was over it 10 weeks ago.There has been lots of bad weather in the past few seasons and it has been beyond insane for the Salleras farm.
I offered a handfull of seeds that should get lots of good ones in return.Stay tuned.

Fruit Growing in Cyclone Country (Australia)
Fruit Growing in Cyclone Country

Mission Beach - Popular Local Foods

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:54:27 AM »
Thanks or that Zands,I have known him for about 20 years and never saw those clips before.He turned 58 today and the orchard is green and productive again while showing the scars of 300km/hr winds.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 07:58:50 AM »
Thanks or that Zands,I have known him for about 20 years and never saw those clips before.He turned 58 today and the orchard is green and productive again while showing the scars of 300km/hr winds.

But I thought thought only the crocodile hunters got the certification to wear those cool bush hats
Your friend Peter is in excellent shape from working his farm. You can tell at a glance he is an outdoors man. http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2012/02/01/3420838.htm He does the farm work with is wife and little help.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:12:26 AM »
Don't get me started on the crocs Zands or those southern charlartans who have pretended to be croc hunters.This is hat country once out of the cities and a stetson won't get you too far.Pollies like Bob Katter give hats a bad name and akubras show you're a happening dude around the ranges.Peter's accent is more the countryside NQ style, I suppose our equivalent of a southern gentleman more than a 'good ol boy'.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 08:37:40 AM »
Don't get me started on the crocs Zands or those southern charlartans who have pretended to be croc hunters.This is hat country once out of the cities and a stetson won't get you too far.Pollies like Bob Katter give hats a bad name and akubras show you're a happening dude around the ranges.Peter's accent is more the countryside NQ style, I suppose our equivalent of a southern gentleman more than a 'good ol boy'.

Never heard the word "akubra" before, so this is your typical bush hat worn so you don't fry or get sunstroke in Oz land closest to the equator.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katter%27s_Australian_Party I like Katter's platform even if he abuses hat wearing and it seems to be his image

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
Mike
What's the name of this place?  Have you visited Alan Carle's Botanical Ark in Mossman? By the way, I work for fir an Aussie medical company in Florida which is headquartered in Melbourne Australia.
FGM
FloridaGreenMan

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 09:17:21 AM »
FGM I have not visited alan carles collection but his is one of the largest species collections in the whole district.I think Peter S has picked the eyes out of that collection and is more focussed on the finest cultivars.I got a pitomba,G.forbesii and an araza from Alan Carle a few weeks ago while he was in Cairns.Wow Melbourne is only 2000 miles down the road.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
Mike,

You've got my OOOOhhhs and Aaaaahhhsss out for the day! Wow, what a great place to visit!!!! Spectacular collection  8) I have a feeling my yellow brick road leads to that place.... LOL!  ;D
✌🏽

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk