Author Topic: Kauai  (Read 1798 times)

jabomano

• Ft. Myers, Florida 33908 Myrciaria maniac
    • Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Kauai
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:30:00 PM »
Any rare fruit nurseries or growers on Kauai? No other islands....only Kauai. I'd like to know my Saturday night.

Thanks.

Ray
'If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they go.'

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Kauai
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 01:13:53 PM »
There is Kauai Nursery.  This is not an endorsement -- I have never done business with them.  I think I met the owner when Hawaii Tropical Fruit Growers had their last conference in the fall -- seemed like a nice guy.  Not sure about others offhand.

http://www.kauainursery.com/images/Fruitbook.pdf

John

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 04:53:52 PM »
If you're going looking for rare fruits you are probably going to the worst of the Hawaiian islands. If you've already bought your ticket i would suggest going to the 2 National Tropical Botanical gardens. They have tours and it's best to make an appointment in advance. They charge a steep price, but i think it's worth it, at least once, to see them. Only have a few fruit trees, but still beautiful and intersting for anyone interested in plants in general.
https://ntbg.org/about/locations.php
Oscar

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 07:44:12 AM »
If you're going looking for rare fruits you are probably going to the worst of the Hawaiian islands. If you've already bought your ticket i would suggest going to the 2 National Tropical Botanical gardens. They have tours and it's best to make an appointment in advance. They charge a steep price, but i think it's worth it, at least once, to see them. Only have a few fruit trees, but still beautiful and intersting for anyone interested in plants in general.

I second that motion!  Especially Allerton on the south side of the island, quite impressive.  They have a plant there that there are only two known are to exist, and you can't get to the other one, it is on Kaho'olawe.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »

I second that motion!  Especially Allerton on the south side of the island, quite impressive.  They have a plant there that there are only two known are to exist, and you can't get to the other one, it is on Kaho'olawe.

I got my original seeds of Java almond (Sterculia foetida) at Allerton. Maybe a few others also...forget...it was about 25 years ago.
Oscar

jabomano

• Ft. Myers, Florida 33908 Myrciaria maniac
    • Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:45:25 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.
'If dogs don't go to heaven then I want to go where they go.'

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 11:50:23 PM »
There is a third NTBG garden that has spectacular views and is well worth visiting. It mostly has native Hawaiian plants. It's called Limahuli  gardens, and is on North shores Napali coast, at end of the road, right before the trailhead for path that goes to Kalalau Valley. That whole area is a magical place!
Oscar