Author Topic: Kiwi's  (Read 13603 times)

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
Re: Kiwi's
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2016, 07:52:07 AM »
Wow, impressive. Do you know what variety those are that they have fruit in zone 11?

I'm not completely sure, but in this case, by the shape and the size they get at the peak of season, I think it migth be some improved  form of Hayward.
This type is common, but there are many others I've seen fruiting arround. I think the most common, is Bruno (because most fruit I've seen arround, have very enlongated shape), but a few varieties, of small roundish fruit, and very prolific are also common, one of them must be Solo, and, in higher zones I've also seen what I think to be Jenny.
As I cross other places were there might be something left hanging on the vines I will take some other photos, to show the diversity of fruit shapes and sizes we have. It's getting to late in the season, but I think, that there should be some more in other places yet.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 11:09:54 AM »
Two days ago I crossed 2 other productive plants, that were still holding some fruits.
The first one is of roundish small fruit type; and the other 3 images are of a bigger fruit variety, wich have kind of double fruit type, as you can see in the last image.

Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 01:18:04 PM »
Do they lose their leaves in Madeira? In Italy the frost kills the leaves, but where it does not freeze, you can find Kiwi with leaves also in January...

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 06:59:43 PM »
Do they lose their leaves in Madeira? In Italy the frost kills the leaves, but where it does not freeze, you can find Kiwi with leaves also in January...

Hi Delvi83.
Yes they lose most of their leaves trough the winter months, even if there's some fruit still in the vines. In wind sheltered places and if in some kind of shadow, it can hold many leaves until the new growt starts flushing, when all of the old leaves drop, to give place to the new ones.

Nélio.

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 04:07:22 PM »
CFRG has some info on them. especially on variety and chill hours
http://crfgsandiego.org/Documents/LOW%20CHILL%20KIWI%20FRUIT.pdf

A. arguta is supposedly the "cold hardy" kiwi that is smaller and not fuzzy.

Actinidia chinensis is the "normal" fuzzy kiwi you see in stores. normally "Hayward" variety i think.

Actinidia kolomikta
 is the hardiest species in the genus Actinidia, at least down to about −40 °C (−40 °F)
The plant is attractive to cats, which find it more attractive than catnip or valerian and can severely damage the vine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinidia_kolomikta

i did some reading on this a while back
i cant find the links now
but, you would think that because A. Chinesis is not as cold hardy,
it would do better in warm, or "hot" environments
i had read something that said this wasnt true, and some species had a more narrow temp range
and some had a wider range.
- "Chinensis"   was more in the narrow, and "kolomikta" was wider i think.

GRIN list
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/taxon/taxonomysimple.aspx?Actinidia

more here...
https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-342.html
http://sfp.ucdavis.edu/pubs/brochures/Kiwi/

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 11:47:18 PM »
Greenman, good information thanks.
Didn't see the Ken's Red on the list though, curious how it ranks.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »
CFRG has some info on them. especially on variety and chill hours
http://crfgsandiego.org/Documents/LOW%20CHILL%20KIWI%20FRUIT.pdf

A. arguta is supposedly the "cold hardy" kiwi that is smaller and not fuzzy.

Actinidia chinensis is the "normal" fuzzy kiwi you see in stores. normally "Hayward" variety i think.

Actinidia kolomikta
 is the hardiest species in the genus Actinidia, at least down to about −40 °C (−40 °F)
The plant is attractive to cats, which find it more attractive than catnip or valerian and can severely damage the vine.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actinidia_kolomikta

i did some reading on this a while back
i cant find the links now
but, you would think that because A. Chinesis is not as cold hardy,
it would do better in warm, or "hot" environments
i had read something that said this wasnt true, and some species had a more narrow temp range
and some had a wider range.
- "Chinensis"   was more in the narrow, and "kolomikta" was wider i think.

GRIN list
https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/taxon/taxonomysimple.aspx?Actinidia

more here...
https://hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-342.html
http://sfp.ucdavis.edu/pubs/brochures/Kiwi/

The ones I've seen fruiting nicely here, are all A. chinensis cultivars. However I've seen at least 4 different, sizes and shapes, of fruit, wich means at least 4 cultivars do ok here. I'm not sure if they really need chilling hours or not; however I can say, here they don't get those chilling hours, as in allmost all the places I've seen them growing, they are at less than 700m from sea level, and it never gets colder than 10C (50F), and if it happens it never lasts more than a few hours; and as I said before, they fruit nicely.
The only option, is the temperature feeling! As 10C with 80% humidity, and 30Kmh wind, feels much colder than it actualy is; but it usualy is true for humans, not sure if works the same way with plants...

I've tried with other species, but until now, had no good results...
I'm growing, A. chinensis (2 cultivars), A. arguta (4 cultivars), A. kolomikta, and A. polygama, that is yet more atractive to cats, than A. kolomikta. Only the A. chinensis, and A. arguta Dr. Szymanowski, had flower for me, but the A. arguta never set fruit by absence of polinator, at the time, and I ended up loosing that plant.

Nélio.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2016, 08:07:25 PM »
Today I've visited my parents, and took a moment to look at the plants I'm growing at their place, and to my surprise and completely against all odds, I noticed one of my Actinidia arguta seedlings is blooming!
Absolutely no chance of getting a fruit from it, because I didn't notice any other plant blooming, and as it is a seedling, it most likely to be a male, but a least I can say I was able to get one A. arguta to flower in a zone 11 climate! Maybe I was just lucky, or maybe, all those chilling hours people say they need to bloom, are not that real...
Anyway, here are some pics I took with my phone of the flowers forming:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:19:48 PM by Grapebush »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 11:31:19 AM »
Boa amigo! Congratulations!  ;D

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 07:20:56 PM »

Thank you Luís!

How are the ones I sent to you, doing so far?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2016, 10:39:14 AM »

Thank you Luís!

They are great! Sprouting very well. No flowre buds yet.  ;)

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2016, 03:32:30 PM »

Thank you Luís!

They are great! Sprouting very well. No flowre buds yet.  ;)

If they're doing nice, you might get some flowers next year, at least in the Jumbo one, wich was the more developed.
Good luck on them.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 04:10:45 PM »
Thank's!  ;D

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 10:32:04 PM »
Here's an update on my flowering A. arguta.
My 2 first blooms were destroyed by strong winds we're experiencing for the last 5/6 months, but luckily, there were a third bloom, and the flowers from that one get opened last saturday, so i had the oportunity, to confirm my guess, that this was as male plant.
I notice, that some of my plants, had a darker stem colour, and others had a much clearer stem colour, and I have a crazy theory that the darker ones should be male, and the other ones female, now I need to get the other ones to flower (maybe next year) to comfirm this.
Here are some images of my flowers:

Nélio.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2016, 01:36:26 PM »
They are very beautiful! Congrtulations!  ;D

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2016, 10:38:42 AM »
May be I understood wrong......third flush of flower in this year? Or third in 3 years?
Anyway now they are in flower...and we are in June, the same period of flowering of North Italy....and North Italy a Madeira have very different climate...

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2016, 02:26:17 PM »
May be I understood wrong......third flush of flower in this year? Or third in 3 years?
Anyway now they are in flower...and we are in June, the same period of flowering of North Italy....and North Italy a Madeira have very different climate...

Hi Delvi,

It was the third flowering for this year, however, the plant didn't flowered three times, what happened, was that due to crazy weater this year arround here, with a winter and Spring, colder than usual, the new growth, didn't came uniformly, that means that I had a first flush, in early April, and with that, the first flowers, then a second flush in late April, and some more flowers, and finally another one in late May, that has bring the flowers I posted here! The flowers from the previous flowerings were all destroyed by the wind.

Delvi83

• Italy
    • View Profile
    • Il Gusto della Natura
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »
So if winds destroys the flowers the plant flower again?? Very uncommon.....i thought Kiwi Arguta had just one flowering flush/year...and they needed several chilling hours..

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2016, 03:35:03 PM »
So if winds destroys the flowers the plant flower again?? Very uncommon.....i thought Kiwi Arguta had just one flowering flush/year...and they needed several chilling hours..

As I explained before, it didn't flowered more than once (at least, not in the same twigs)! What happened, as I explained, was that the new growt, didn't flushed all at same time, some buds, only flushed more than 1 and a half month after the first ones. This is why the flowers didn't came all at the same time... The confuson, was caused because I didn't express right! I should had write that some flowers came late, instead of mentioning, three flowerings.

If you look for the earlier answers to this topic, you will see that the first time that I posted about flower buds, were in the beggining of April, but I only get some open, last Saturday.

mrtexas

• USA, Sugarland,TX 9B
    • View Profile
    • MrTexasCitrus

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2016, 03:50:14 PM »
Actinidia chinensis plants are starting to flower/fruit around here. The other day while working I crossed 2 plants at 2 different places, one was flowering and the other one already had a lot of tiny fruits, as you can see in the images.

Grapebush

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2017, 06:54:23 PM »
Back to Actinidia arguta in a not really cold climate; here you have some A. arguta Cv Issai fruits in Madeira Island.
These are not mine, but from a friend that owns a local nursery! This are young plants for sale, still in pots, with about 2 years.

So I keep saying they don't need that much cold, most people say they need, to fruit...