Author Topic: Introduce Yourself  (Read 620733 times)

Grant

• North Georgia
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce Yourself
« Reply #675 on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:03 AM »
Hi Mike,
   My charangas and I are in Walker County Georgia, near Villanow.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 20, 2013, 02:41:28 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm Luis from Portugal, and just found this forum. I'm a tropical fruit lover and just start to grow some tropical fruit trees. I'm shure i will learn a lot with you all! Thank's!  ;)

nannernator

• Austin, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 20, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
Thanks for the advice Mr. Clean.  I just received my 7 gal NDM the other day and am so excited! Yes, I plan on transporting my mango plants into my garage during the winter months. My Kent has survived the past few years doing this. :) Here's a pic of the NDM:

indoorpineapplegrower

• USA, Illinois, Chicago, Zone 6
    • View Profile
    • Indoor Pineapple Culture Page
« Reply #678 on: July 21, 2013, 08:06:31 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Alphonzo. I live in Chicago and grow pineapples indoors organically in containers under artificial lighting. My goal is to grow the best white-fleshed varieties in the world. If anyone is growing Pernambuco, let me know via pvt msg. I look forward to networking and sharing information with you all.
Pineapples: Cayenne, White Jade, Spanish Samoa, Queen Victoria, Kaua'i Sugarloaf, Monte Lirio, Cheese Pine, Josapine, Pernambuco

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 21, 2013, 10:49:33 PM »
Welcome all new members, to many names in the last few days to list  ;D. Look forward to seeing new faces posting.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

pollo696

• Aguadilla/Mayaguez, Puerto Rico Zone 12b/13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 21, 2013, 11:16:56 PM »
Hello everyone! New to the forum. From Northwestern Puerto Rico, got a small amount of fruit trees going, currently passing through the gimmey-gimmey's of exotic fruit collecting. 6 things in the ground, 20 more in pots >.< I'll post some pictures later on this week. Hoping to become a regular member!

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #681 on: July 24, 2013, 11:10:48 PM »
Thanks Henry! I'm not as knowledgeable as the others on this site, but I love learning as I go.

Best!
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

rovha

• the nooby gardener
    • Portgal, madeira island, funchal, santo antonio, rua da quinta falcćo
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 27, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »
Hello my name is Joćo Sousa I'm 17 years old and I live on Madeira island, Funchal and I have been interested in rare and exotic fruits since my 15, I hope to learn more about more this kind of plants in the future. I live in an flat on the top floor where most plants can get sun but most plants that i own are on my mothers boyfriend roof, unfortunately i don't have any kind of terrain to plant more plants but i hope to get one in the future, for now I'm going to put them in a VERY large pots.
The plants that I have now are: passiflora edulis (both the yellow and purple variety), physalis, longan, grumixama, feijoa, jackfruit, black suriman cherry and dragon fruit (selenicereus megalanthus, the yellow one).
And the fruit plants that i hope to adquire in the future are berries with uncommon colors, miracle berry, rambutan both the red and yellow variety, durian, dragon fruit(selenicereus megalanthus hybrid) orange skinned with red pulp, jabuticabas, mangosteens, pommelo, normal and strawberry guavas and black and white sapotes or how i like to call them "pudding sapotes" because of what i heard they taste like pudding.
Well, that's i have to say, I hope to learn more from all of you. Good evening and thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 09:01:28 AM by rovha »
Joćo David Abreu Sousa

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 27, 2013, 08:35:00 AM »
Hello my name is Joćo Sousa I'm 17 years old and I live on Madeira island, Funchal and I have been interested in rare and exotic fruits since my 15, I hope to learn more about more this kind of plants in the future. I live in an flat on the top floor where most plants can get sun but most plants that i own are on my mothers boyfriend roof, unfortunately i don't have any kind of terrain to plant more plants but i hope to get one in the future, for now I'm going to put them in a VERY large pots.
The plants that I have now are: passiflora edulis (both the yellow and purple variety), longan, grumixama, feijoa, jackfruit, black suriman cherry and dragon fruit (selenicereus megalanthus, the yellow one).
And the fruit plants that i hope to adquire in the future are berries with uncommon colors, rambutan both the red and yellow variety, durian, dragon fruit(selenicereus megalanthus hybrid) orange skinned with red pulp, jabuticabas, mangosteens and black and white sapotes or how i like to call them "pudding sapotes" because of what i heard they taste like pudding.
Well, that's i have to say, I hope to learn more from all of you. Good evening and thank you for your time.
Olį Joćo! Tens umas variedades fantįsticas! You will learn here a lot! See you soon!  ;D

fruitnut

• willow Grove, Pa/7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 31, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »
Hi, my name is Phat, AKA fruitnut, fruit junkie, fruit whatever.  I must confess, I have a black thumb.  I found this site while searching for information on how to turn my black thumb into green for tropical fruit trees.  I hope to learn from all of you guys/gals.

sposdta

• Port Salerno, Fl USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 31, 2013, 12:32:57 PM »
I am a musician, singer songwriter, writer and housecleaner! I am Kathy Thomas. I live in one of the last cracker strongholds in Port Salerno Florida, just north of Jupiter and Hobe Sound. I loveeeee! this forum. I am harvesting an ignored tree in my newish backyard after a few months of determining it to be a hybrid of guanabana and custard apple. It is keeping me busy! I am making soursop juice right now...off to get some organic sugar! Thankyou for making me feel so welcome

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 31, 2013, 01:16:22 PM »
Good gosh....so many new people.....can't begin to welcome you all.
The "old timers" are very nice and helpful here (though I'm not one of them!).
  Don't be afraid to ask
a question or two - hey - we were all beginners at one time, yes!

Oh, and please try and POST PICTURES whenver possible by clicking on "Add image to post"
and then you can locate and choose a picture from your own files to add to your post........
It makes the post more interesting and can be helpful in answering any questions you
might have.

This is truly an INTERNATIONAL forum.  World peace through Mangoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and a hearty WELCOME TO EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU......

MangoFang of Southern California

dcusseaux

• united states, texas, spring, zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 01, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
Well hello,
My name is Dietrich Cusseaux and it is always good to know one is in good company or can be someplace to find it, so far I do and I have! This forum appears to have a wealth of knowledge and experience as well as good spirited individuals. I am originally from Tampa, Florida but have relocated to Houston, Texas which is similar in climates aside from the occasional unpredictable frosts we experience here in Texas. I look forward to contributing and learning how to do better.

I am currently growing many varieties of tropical plants and trees and seem to continue to become more and more obsessed with Tropical horticulture the more success that I experience from my efforts. I look forward to hearing about other users successes and trading with some of you in the near future.

thanks.

mangoprofessor

• USA, California, Camarillo
    • View Profile
    • Southern California Plant Breeders
« Reply #688 on: August 02, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
Hello my name is Tim Thompson, I am an "old guy" and this is my first effort with internet forums.  This is somewhat intimidating, and also at the same time very exciting.  I started growing things with my dad's help and guidance as a child.  Then it was just a hobby.  I have special interest in tropical fruits, mangoes in particular.  For the last 20 plus years many people have referred to me by the nickname: The Mango Man.  My father instilled in me a sense of adventure in growing new and often difficult things.  That desire to overcome obstacles is part of what made me take on the challenge of growing and fruiting mangoes in Southern California.  I started that effort almost 40 years ago and now have achieved that goal with over a dozen mango varieties that are in the patent process and which will soon be growing throughout Southern California. 

I live in Camarillo, about 15 miles inland from the ocean and grew up on a ranch between Ventura and Santa Paula after moving from frosty Nothern Illinois.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 02, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »
Hello my name is Tim Thompson, I am an "old guy" and this is my first effort with internet forums.  This is somewhat intimidating, and also at the same time very exciting.  I started growing things with my dad's help and guidance as a child.  Then it was just a hobby.  I have special interest in tropical fruits, mangoes in particular.  For the last 20 plus years many people have referred to me by the nickname: The Mango Man.  My father instilled in me a sense of adventure in growing new and often difficult things.  That desire to overcome obstacles is part of what made me take on the challenge of growing and fruiting mangoes in Southern California.  I started that effort almost 40 years ago and now have achieved that goal with over a dozen mango varieties that are in the patent process and which will soon be growing throughout Southern California. 

I live in Camarillo, about 15 miles inland from the ocean and grew up on a ranch between Ventura and Santa Paula after moving from frosty Nothern Illinois.
WOW great story! Thank you so much for sharing your life story with us!  :D

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #690 on: August 02, 2013, 02:57:00 PM »
My name is sanddollarmoon (I am veggie on the tropical vegetable forum). I live up North. Us fruitarians are a rare breed up here.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:19:40 PM by Sanddollarmoon »

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 06, 2013, 03:38:50 PM »
Welcome Patrick,

It's great to see a tropical fruit grower/enthusiast up in Arlington. I don't live that far from you, here in Richmond, Virginia. Just plant those tropical fruit seeds! I can tell you that it may be a little of a challenge to grow tropical/subtropical plants up here but it's not impossible. I have a small collection of my dearest plants after moving from Florida, and so far they are doing well.

Tomas

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 06, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
Welcome Patrick,

It's great to see a tropical fruit grower/enthusiast up in Arlington. I don't live that far from you, here in Richmond, Virginia. Just plant those tropical fruit seeds! I can tell you that it may be a little of a challenge to grow tropical/subtropical plants up here but it's not impossible. I have a small collection of my dearest plants after moving from Florida, and so far they are doing well.

Tomas
Do you have tropicals with cold weather? By the way can you tell what do you have?

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 06, 2013, 04:48:20 PM »
Hi Luisport,

Well, I grow my plants in pots so when cold weather comes I bring bring them inside/greenhouse. Here is what I have:

abiu
white, yellow, black sapote
various Eugenia species
various Garcinia species
various Myrciaria and Plinia species
and some obscure plants too

Tomas

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 06, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »
Been on here since march of this year but never actually introduced myself. Wife and I recentlybought a home in southwest ranches with a large yard and have spent the last 12 months adding to it. Although I have mostly been into edible gardening, I have never had the room to really go vertical, until now. Currently I have 4 mangoes (Glenn, Keitt, coconut cream, Angie) 2 avocados (oro negro, Catalina), sapodilla (Alano) a dozen pineapples (sugarloaf, golden, cayenne), 6 mats of bananas (gran nain, dwarf cavendish, what I thought was blue java but is probably Orinoco) various lemons and limes, young dragonfruit, a couple figs and a bunch of seedlings courtesy of berto, luc and Adam. I also need to thank Mike from Bender's Grove for making it all to easy to fill my addiction.
I'm learning quite a bit on here. However, most of what I do others have said before: I generally wander around aimlessly in my yard enthralled, but with the nagging sense that I should be doing something (pruning, fertilizing, etc). I hope to be able to contribute back once my yard becomes more established, and once I feel a little more versed in most things tropical. Thanks for this forum!
Keith
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:15:40 PM by kalan »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 07, 2013, 03:30:31 AM »
Hi Luisport,

Well, I grow my plants in pots so when cold weather comes I bring bring them inside/greenhouse. Here is what I have:

abiu
white, yellow, black sapote
various Eugenia species
various Garcinia species
various Myrciaria and Plinia species
and some obscure plants too

Tomas
Yes i can try that too, but in potas it's more dificult to get a fruit stage...

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #696 on: August 07, 2013, 07:16:35 AM »
Welcome Luis, Alphonzo, Jared, Joao Sousa, Phat, Kathy Thomas, Dietrich Cusseaux, Tim Thompson, Patrick!  Look forward to your postings!
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 07, 2013, 07:19:55 AM »
Welcome Luis, Alphonzo, Jared, Joao Sousa, Phat, Kathy Thomas, Dietrich Cusseaux, Tim Thompson, Patrick!  Look forward to your postings!
Thank you so much! This forum is awsome!!!  ;)

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 07, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »
I lived where you lived before...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:26:44 PM by Sanddollarmoon »

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 07, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »
Hi Tim (Mango Professor)!

Long time no talk!  This is Gary, the one in Palm Springs that planted your Timotayo mango a couple years ago.  Unfortunately, it didn't seem to do well in the heat out here, so I dug it up and gave it to a friend in Santa Barbara.  Might have been a watering problem too, on my part, which I sort of discovered later, so.... not sure about that one out here.

Anyway, so great to have you on this forum!  And Welcome....

Actually WELCOME to all the new members!!!!!!!!!!

Gary (MangoFang)