Author Topic: Are dragon fruit thorns toxic?  (Read 12682 times)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Are dragon fruit thorns toxic?
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:47:06 PM »
I poked the back of my hand pretty well moving some Natural Mystic cuttings yesterday evening.  I am almost 100% certain I removed any trace of the thorns.  About an hour after my hand began to throb and has swollen a little as of today.  The area is red and super sore.  Anyone else have similar experiences?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Are dragon fruit thorns toxic?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »
I poked the back of my hand pretty well moving some Natural Mystic cuttings yesterday evening.  I am almost 100% certain I removed any trace of the thorns.  About an hour after my hand began to throb and has swollen a little as of today.  The area is red and super sore.  Anyone else have similar experiences?

I jabbed my knee into a Stenocereus stellatus spine. And got the same sort of reaction. Best you can do is rub some rubbing alcohol into the area and take some benadryl. It should clear up after a few days, its a histamine response to the spine poking you. Not necessarily toxic, just more of the body reacting to a foreign object with a trace organic particles on it penetrating the skin. Worst case I think you may need to get a tetanus shot again, if you did not get one in the recommend time frame.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:02:44 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:00:18 PM »

Sorry buddy...can I have first pick at your trees?   ;) :P
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 03:03:10 PM »
Ok, seriously...I would think there is sone natural defense irritant on the spines (there is on most spines regardless of the type of plant) however I dont think it is fatal or anywhere near as such unless you happen to be allergic.  I have gotten stuck pretty bad on the yellow dragonfruit and the red & whites and not had any more than a temporary discomforting would like you might get on the thorn of a citrus tree.
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 03:05:14 PM »
Was it a radioactive Dragon fruit? Maybe you'll get super powers like uhh the ability to grow a few feet in a few months and you'll develop a very bland sense of humor.

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 03:05:55 PM »
It's your body's way of saying dragon fruit is not for you..  ;D so when are you going to give them away?  ::)

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 03:24:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replys.  I don't think its fatal for sure but damn uncomfortable.  Really shocked that its swollen.  And I wont be "offing" and trees either!!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 03:45:58 PM »
I've been spiked to the point of bleeding many times and I have not had a reaction like that. The area normally turns a bit red and goes away in a couple days. I wonder if the spine had cross contamination from animal droppings or some other type of pollutant?
Simon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
Thanks for all the replys.  I don't think its fatal for sure but damn uncomfortable.  Really shocked that its swollen.  And I wont be "offing" and trees either!!

Hmmm...did you feed the dragonfruit like you feed your mangoes?
- Rob

Patrick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 04:04:21 PM »
You might be on to something.  I use the same nutritional regimen on the dragon fruit too.  Maybe its a new super hybrid germ!

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 04:14:11 PM »
Was it a radioactive Dragon fruit? Maybe you'll get super powers like uhh the ability to grow a few feet in a few months and you'll develop a very bland sense of humor.

LOL, hilarious... I'm sure the dragonfruit feel burned! I'd be careful, they may rise up in your sleep and take you out. I don't think I'd want to make them angry, especially not the heavy ones!

As for the OP, it's possible that the thorn had some dirt on it. Getting a deep wound that is contaminated in some way, including an almost microscopic piece of thorn still stuck in there, would react this way with any healthy immune system. It should get slightly hot, swollen, and red for a few days. The cause for concern is if the swelling is out of control, or seems to be spreading or affecting your breathing, or doesn't appear to be healing after two weeks. If it's just localized, it's totally normal. I find that a jeweler's magnifying glass and a needle are really helpful for finding pieces of debris you can't see with the naked eye. Antibiotic ointment applied liberally with a bandaid and massaged a little from time to time will help your skin work out whatever is still stuck in there that's causing the reaction. An allergy would be more pronounced, like the entire hand would swell up to nearly twice its size and be very painful. The wound being swollen is normal, that's what wounds are supposed to be like when the immune system sends little fighters in to defend the area.  I am constantly covered in wounds and scratches... it is a hazard of the hobby, especially when you work outdoors and deal with a lot of mature plants with very sharp edges!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:17:09 PM by LivingParadise »

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »
Did you suck on the wound to make sure it's not poisoned?  ;D

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 12:36:01 PM »
I don't get any major swelling, but whenever my skin gets pierced by dragon fruit spines, there is a very quick and somewhat prolonged intense itching that ensues.  There will be redness around the punctures for a few days, but that is probably just as much about my scratching the itching as it is about the wound itself. So far, I have survived all dragon fruit spine encounters.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

michsu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 12:49:02 PM »
That's good  Hope all is well soon.  ;D