Author Topic: Best tasting mangos of 2018  (Read 46911 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Best tasting mangos of 2018
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2018, 11:23:49 AM »
Hey Mark
This year señorita went up against over 200 Florida mangos and come out on top.
Frank, did you say that this Señorita mango is a variety that came from Hispaniola (Haiti or D.R.)?  How did it come to California?  Is anyone in Florida growing it?  What's the flavor profile?

This was an 7 year old madame francis seedling same profile but sweeter and totally fiberless. Brix range from 25-28 has that nice Caribbean spicy flavor

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2018, 01:09:42 PM »
Hey Mark
Frank, did you say that this Señorita mango is a variety that came from Hispaniola (Haiti or D.R.)?  How did it come to California?  Is anyone in Florida growing it?  What's the flavor profile?

This was an 7 year old madame francis seedling same profile but sweeter and totally fiberless. Brix range from 25-28 has that nice Caribbean spicy flavor

That sounds tasty.
I wonder how this will do in FL?
Is anyone trying to grow it down here?

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2018, 01:13:47 PM »
Hey Mark

That sounds tasty.
I wonder how this will do in FL?
Is anyone trying to grow it down here?

Its a very good mango on par with newer zill varieties. As his Senorita matures, flavor will also improve.
I also believe that JF is not releasing this variety to the public but himself. :D

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2018, 09:52:51 PM »
As mango season approaches and end in SoCal I edit my top ten list once again

I told you that "Señorita" was the best out of the hundred or so we tried last year.

1. Señorita
2.ST
3.Zinc
4.E4
5.OS
6.Creme brûlée
7.LZ
8.Parson
9.M4
10.HK

is sweet turd a seedling of a known variety? And was it in your top 10? 😆

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
Sweet Turd?  Must have a very unique flavor!
John

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2018, 10:32:49 AM »
The third  mango in the first picture has sweet turd  written on it.

As in
Rumani
Coc
Sweet turd
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:34:31 AM by CA Hockey »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2018, 12:31:13 PM »

As in
Rumani
Coc
Sweet turd
Yes, I see that.
John

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2018, 12:56:02 PM »
It might be difficult to market the particular mango.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2018, 09:26:07 PM »
It might be difficult to market the particular mango.

As in
Rumani
Coc
Sweet turd
One man's turd is another's medicine.... Being sweet might fetch over $40  ;)...
https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/26/health/fecal-transplant-poop-medicine/index.html

Mango Stein

• Zone 7a
    • Schengen frontier
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2018, 09:54:14 PM »
Mallika = Mung in dung
but Sweet Tart is state-of-the-art
Eugenia luschnathiana = CURUIRI.    Talisia esculenta = PITOMBA
I do not recommend people deal with Fruit Lovers, Prisca Mariya or Fernando Malpartida

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 07, 2018, 04:40:50 PM »
Hey Mark

I have a Madame Francis and was wondering if your seedling "senorita" tastes like my Madame Francis which now reminds me of pumpkin pie taste.

I previously described a few years ago that initially as a small tree it was not making sweet fruit and it only tasted like pumpkin pie without sugar (which is not good). However, last year & this year the tree has enlarged & now is able to sweeten up the fruit and it tastes like pumpkin pie in my yard.

Problems that I noticed with mine is: 1. poor production due to fungus (it always appears to pollinate correctly and make small mangos that blacken & fall off except for a few) 2. As commonly mentioned it has a high amount of fiber (but I still enjoy eating it I just wish it was more productive with less fungal issues on the fruit).

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2018, 11:37:09 AM »
Funny turd, tard, tart..I grew up eating Madame Francis never notice a pumpkin taste....it definitely  has that spicy taste but closer to anise rather than cinnamon.

palmcity

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2018, 01:05:32 PM »
I grew up eating Madame Francis never notice a pumpkin taste....it definitely  has that spicy taste but closer to anise rather than cinnamon.
I am looking forward to next year to try the taste again of the Madame Francis as I previously have not liked a licorace taste and don't remember it ...I found on wiki:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anise   "Its flavor has similarities with some other spices, such as star anise,[4] fennel, and liquorice." .... I don't remember a liquorice taste in mine the past 2 years, Is that the anise taste you are use to when eating Madame Francis?

I have not made pumpkin pie and I had to ask my wife as to what spices she uses in the pie that I usually eat. She said nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, or allspice.

I think mine had tasted more of the other mentioned herbs with sugar and less to maybe a hint of cinnamon but I will be happy to try again next year. Many spices together = many taste choices.

Is liquorice the best choice in describing the anise taste mentioned or is there another commonly eaten food with anise that would better describe the taste perceived? But once again, many herbs together = many tastes perceived.

googled this site: https://www.thekitchn.com/tastes-like-licorice-how-many-122526 
"how many common spices, herbs, and even veggies there are that have the same licorice-y anise flavor as, well...anise? This came up in conversation at a dinner party recently and we couldn't believe how many there were once we started thinking about it!

Here's what what we came up with:

1. Anise (of course!)
2. Star Anise
3. Fennel - bulb, fronds, and seed
4. Basil
5. Chervil
6. Caraway
7. Tarrago"

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:17:37 PM by palmcity »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2018, 10:43:35 PM »

1.LZ
2. Señorita
3.ST
4.Zinc
5.E4
6.OS
7.Creme brûlée
8.Parson
9.M4
10.HK

Change in the rankings. California mangos are much sweeter than the hundreds of Florida mangos I’ve tried this year, amazing 1.6lb LZ!!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2018, 11:02:33 PM »
At peak of perfection LZ is hard to beat. Amazing clean mangoes here.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 11, 2018, 11:32:27 PM »

1.LZ
2. Señorita
3.ST
4.Zinc
5.E4
6.OS
7.Creme brûlée
8.Parson
9.M4
10.HK

Change in the rankings. California mangos are much sweeter than the hundreds of Florida mangos I’ve tried this year, amazing 1.6lb LZ!!

I hav to agree with u.. ur last year cac & lz was way sweeter than the ones in Florida

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2018, 03:15:00 PM »
Frank your LZ was amazing last year and I’m sure this year is the same. LZ and CAC are both amazing.

I also have to agree that many of the Mangos grown in our drier climate seems to have higher Brix and a more concentrated flavor. I just had a Glenn from my yard and some Peggy’s from Leo’s yard and they were all amazing.

Simon

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2018, 08:54:57 PM »
Frank your LZ was amazing last year and I’m sure this year is the same. LZ and CAC are both amazing.

I also have to agree that many of the Mangos grown in our drier climate seems to have higher Brix and a more concentrated flavor. I just had a Glenn from my yard and some Peggy’s from Leo’s yard and they were all amazing.

Simon

Simon this is from the same tree w Manila rootstock I wonder if that matters? We know Manila type rootstocks are more vigorous than turpentine for you us but it also improves the fruits qualities a new feature to consider in our climate.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 17, 2018, 05:48:14 PM »
Another sickeningly sweet mango this time sweet tart hits 31 brix can’t get enough

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 17, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »

1.LZ
2. ST
3. Señorita
4.Zinc
5.E4
6.OS
7.Creme brûlée
8.Parson
9.M4
10.HK

I hav to agree with u.. ur last year cac & lz was way sweeter than the ones in Florida

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 17, 2018, 06:21:01 PM »
Frank, the Sweet Tarts with Brix 25 and above are absolutely amazing. Yes, AZ and I have observed that trees grafted onto Manilla and other non- Florida Turpentine rootstocks seem to produce more and better fruit but we need many more years of data gathering.

I must say that the Zill varieties are performing very well here.

Even LZ with all its Powdery Mildew issues is starting to grow really well for me and I will be harvesting my first fully formed fruit from my Florida Turpentine tree. It took my tree several years to get established but now it is nice and dense. I’m hoping to get more and more fruit from it with each passing year.

The SoCal Mangos are starting to ripen now so my favorites for the year may change soon. LZ and ST have always been in my top 5-10 list.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2018, 10:59:49 PM »
Here is a Sweet Tart mango grown by my friend here in SoCal. It didn’t have much smell to it but boy was it excellent! It was perfectly ripened and only had a very slight give towards the nose end. At this stage of ripeness, it had the perfect balance of “Sweet” and “Tart”. This fruit has a Brix of 28% and having just eaten a Venus mango a couple of days ago, the Sweetart was just more intense. They both had an Indo Chinese flavor but it was much more noticeable in the sweet tart. The tart flavor components in the Sweettart also had a more dynamic range compared to the Venus.

This particular Sweet Tart is probably the best mango I’ve had all year. It is definitely the most well balanced in terms of sugar acid balance. Speaking of sugar acid balance, Sweet Tart is one of those Mangos that can be eaten at different stages of ripeness And has a long window period of optimal flavor and texture.

Any mango can be eaten at various stages of ripeness but Sweet Tart has a very wide window of opportunity for someone to enjoy without having to worry about rapid deterioration of eating quality. Many other mango varieties have a short period of optimal eating before the quality of the fruit rapidly diminishes, that is to say that the flesh gets mushy, the tropical fresh mango flavor diminishes and off flavors start showing up to the party.

Those that are familiar with Sweet Tart know that when eaten firm ripe or just slightly under ripe, the Sweet Tart has a more pronounced tart flavor. At this stage of ripeness, it can be too tart for some people. If the Sweet Tart is eaten slightly past fully ripe, the tartness is hidden which brings out more of the sweetness of this variety.

When perfectly fully ripe, which is different for everyone because we have different palates, it is an absolutely incredible mango that will turn mango haters to mango lovers. Sweet Tart is the Kryptonite to Tommy Atkins. Here are a few pictures that got me to start this rant.

Simon

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 24, 2018, 09:03:21 AM »
With the endless challenges and issues to deal with living in California, at least you get rewarded with great weather (most of the time) and great fruit!
John

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 24, 2018, 09:15:03 AM »
simon_grow  and JF  ----  My LZ tree is  looking great n healthy right now. I think I am too far away from masses of other peoples mango trees for my LZ tree to pick up these problems. In other words, where I live there are some mango trees but nearly as many as in Cookie Monster's neighborhood (2 miles from me) which is one of the most dense for backyard mango trees.

My lazy bet is that in California your LZ trees will continue to thrive. Three thousand miles away from Florida
 LZ tree "issues".  But now you have to propagate your LZ trees due to Zill not grafting them anymore. Probably because they got worried about whatever has been hurting LZ trees might spread throughout Zill ops.

I love what you guys have done with Manila rootstock!

Simon - very nice orange color on your sweet tarts. The way it should be. I prefer ripe and sweet as opposed to slightly under ripe and tart.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 09:18:53 AM by zands »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2018, 05:42:41 PM »
my best tasting mangoes this year were:
1. LZ - home grown
2. Peach Cobbler - home grown
3. Orange Essence - home grown
4. Sienta Lone - home grown.
5. Sweet Tart and Imam pasand were on mild side this year lacking brix.

from Florida,
Pina Colada
E4
Creme brulee
Seacrest - not sure why its so underrated. best pulp that stays nice and firm and packs a lot of flavor.
Cac.