Author Topic: Is this an Asian citrus psyllid?  (Read 1842 times)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Is this an Asian citrus psyllid?
« on: September 09, 2015, 05:10:59 PM »
Saw a bunch of these on some emerging growth on a dekopon...

This what I think it is right? If it is, what am I obligated to do now? I have a bunch of potted citrus stuff  (including this plant) all in a row touching each other.

always longing for a JA Julie

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Is this an Asian citrus psyllid?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 05:13:07 PM »

Closer view

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 12:09:33 AM »
The angle of the head looks about right. They hang out around new growth. I've seen one on my fig tree this year.

At this point, I don't think there's anything you need to do in Florida. There's so many of them everywhere. I'm in CA though so FL people please correct me.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 11:12:11 AM »
Yes without a doubt the insect in your photo is an Asian Citrus Psyllid, which of course is the vector of citrus greening.  Since your trees are container grown you can protect them from greening by enclosing them in screen. - Millet

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »
I don't have a screened off area (if that's what you meant), let's assume they all have the bugs , or even if it's just this one plant that has it, am I supposed to destroy the plant and just assume it's infected? I guess that's what I am asking, not sure what my next move is supposed to be now that it's confirmed asian citrus psyllid. .

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 11:00:27 AM »
I don't have a screened off area (if that's what you meant), let's assume they all have the bugs , or even if it's just this one plant that has it, am I supposed to destroy the plant and just assume it's infected? I guess that's what I am asking, not sure what my next move is supposed to be now that it's confirmed asian citrus psyllid. .

No point destroying them. Just hope you can get a few crops before the trees start to decline. Nothing you can do to prevent it aside from growing in a screened in area. Citrus are pretty much a waste of time at this point in FL IMO. Until they find a cure, every citrus tree in FL will get the disease eventually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk