Author Topic: Super Hass avocado  (Read 4860 times)

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
Super Hass avocado
« on: June 13, 2020, 09:13:15 AM »
Biggest thing is I'm wondering is flower type on it  because I have a customer would like to pair it with another avocado tree

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Super Hass avocado
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 10:29:28 AM »
Call Fruitscapes in Bokeelia, FL.  They sell it.  They should know.
John

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 02:36:23 PM »
It is an A flower it is from a seedling of Hass.  It was developed in Louisiana and was called an Ooh la la before a name change.  I have one and it is an excellent producer.  I have found it does not do well with heavy pruning. So prune with care.  Mine has done well here in the Tampa area.

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »
Ty for you're helpful information

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
It is an A flower it is from a seedling of Hass.  It was developed in Louisiana and was called an Ooh la la before a name change.  I have one and it is an excellent producer.  I have found it does not do well with heavy pruning. So prune with care.  Mine has done well here in the Tampa area.
So it's a large tree?  How is the flavor?
John

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2020, 08:58:26 PM »
They can get big and the fruits can get up to about a pound very creamy just like a hass and still very cold hardy about 24-25 Fahrenheit

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2020, 11:36:09 PM »
Does anyone have photos of fruit cut up of this one?
Brad Spaugh

BPDUKE

• APOLLO BEACH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2020, 08:29:09 AM »
I could take a picture of one on the tree right now but they are quite immature.  They are creamy with a deep rich flavor.  I like them better than a regular haas as the taste is a bit richer.  Mine are a bit larger than a regular hass maybe 20 to 30%.  Right now they look just like an immature Hass and when ripe look just like a hass only a little larger.  They seem to grow at a good pace and are very good producers.  I would not be surprised if they become a commercial product.  One issue is they do take a long time to ripen.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2020, 08:37:33 AM »
I could take a picture of one on the tree right now but they are quite immature.  They are creamy with a deep rich flavor.  I like them better than a regular haas as the taste is a bit richer.  Mine are a bit larger than a regular hass maybe 20 to 30%.  Right now they look just like an immature Hass and when ripe look just like a hass only a little larger.  They seem to grow at a good pace and are very good producers.  I would not be surprised if they become a commercial product.  One issue is they do take a long time to ripen.

Thanks for your input on the super hass, I recently planted one and appreciate the information.
Could you please add how long your tree has been planted, and how long it took to fruit? Do you have any other avocados planted for cross pollination? Can you share anything on its growth habit? Any details welcome!
If you’d care to add a picture of your tree, that would be great!  :)

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 09:34:25 AM »

Yes, please send pictures, and when they are ripe update us with more pictures.  When do they ripen?
John

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 10:38:53 AM »
September to October supposed to be the ripening season all my tree to small to maintain fruit so I can't really confirm it
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 10:41:20 AM by Nyuu »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 01:41:11 PM »
September to October supposed to be the ripening season all my tree to small to maintain fruit so I can't really confirm it
:P
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:53:49 PM by johnb51 »
John

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2020, 07:52:09 PM »
This is my Super Hass in a 3 gallon pot on March 25, 2019 which I purchased from Excalibur. The next picture is of the same tree which I planted in the ground last weekend.

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2020, 08:51:08 PM »
This is my Super Hass in a 3 gallon pot on March 25, 2019 which I purchased from Excalibur. The next picture is of the same tree which I planted in the ground last weekend.

Thanks for posting, your tree looks great! My Super Hass is a bit bigger then where you started with yours, it’s nice to have an idea of what to expect.  :)

Still interested to hear more from BPDUKE about their fruiting tree.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:55:10 PM by canesgirl821 »

Nyuu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 09:44:23 PM »
I would be nice know more about super Hass and if BPDUKE try Duke 7 avocado how to say compared to it  flavor-wise

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 06:35:55 AM »
I wish to inform everyone who has an interest in all the substitutes for the real Haas because you are under the impression that one cannot grow a “real Haas” in Florida that you now can grow the real Haas even in Miami as my 4 Haas trees have proven. This is a previously patented variety called Haas Carmen. I bought mine in California 6 years ago and they are exactly the same variety you buy in Publix. The name is still under copyright so one can reproduce this tree but cannot sell it using the name Haas Carmen. There is only 1 nursery at this time in Homestead that is reproducing these trees but it’s being called a Mexican Haas.  I gave Zill scions so that they can start reproducing this variety themselves.
Hard to believe I’ve got 4 beautiful big healthy Haas trees growing in Kendall with lots and lots of perfect Haas youngins growing and staying clean on the trees right through maturity. I have zero financial interest in this.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 06:45:56 AM by weiss613 »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 07:53:23 AM »
I wish to inform everyone who has an interest in all the substitutes for the real Haas because you are under the impression that one cannot grow a “real Haas” in Florida that you now can grow the real Haas even in Miami as my 4 Haas trees have proven. This is a previously patented variety called Haas Carmen. I bought mine in California 6 years ago and they are exactly the same variety you buy in Publix. The name is still under copyright so one can reproduce this tree but cannot sell it using the name Haas Carmen. There is only 1 nursery at this time in Homestead that is reproducing these trees but it’s being called a Mexican Haas.  I gave Zill scions so that they can start reproducing this variety themselves.
Hard to believe I’ve got 4 beautiful big healthy Haas trees growing in Kendall with lots and lots of perfect Haas youngins growing and staying clean on the trees right through maturity. I have zero financial interest in this.

Why the fuck are you polluting another thread?? 
- Rob

canesgirl821

• Now where do I put it?
    • Sunrise, FL, USA 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2020, 08:23:18 AM »

Thanks for this, it made me LOL.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 08:25:12 AM by canesgirl821 »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »

I deleted my original comment cuz I thought it sounded unkind.
And Rob, come on.  He was offering useful information this time.
John

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »

I deleted my original comment cuz I thought it sounded unkind.
And Rob, come on.  He was offering useful information this time.

The title of this thread is SUPER HASS and his post also has accuracy issues.  I will say no more.
- Rob

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2020, 11:39:22 AM »

I think you meant the name is trademarked and not copyrighted.

Here is a link to what I think may be the expired patent information for this variety: https://patents.google.com/patent/USPP11173P/en

Here is a link to the trademark information: http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4809:l9hixe.2.1

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2020, 11:59:21 AM »
Yes, patent has expired on Carmen Hass as they call it in California and other places around world. Supposed to be multi-cropper in Mexico anyway ;) Brokaw Nursery had patent or trademark or awhile here in Ca.
Thanks for link Murahilian
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:01:38 PM by ScottR »

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2020, 12:44:38 PM »
I think it's very useful to know that there is an alternative to Super Hass that also produces well in South Florida.  It's the Carmen Hass, which is being offered by a nursery in Homestead under the name "Mexican Hass."  Also, ZHPP was given the scions so it's possible that they may start producing this tree. So thanks, Weiss, for letting us know.

John

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2020, 01:11:22 PM »
Agree, thanks for the info Weiss. If you get a chance, can you post some pix? I have a strong aversion to the west indian avocadoes and am always on the lookout for new hass cultivars that do well here.
Jeff  :-)

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 02:11:51 PM »
I will make a video of each of my Hass Carmen’s and put it on YouTube then give you guys the link and if you want you can send me an email or text and I can tell you the name of the nursery in Homestead. I don’t want to make it look like I have a financial interest in this at all because I don’t.
As far as bsbully and I spelled that correctly, I owe him a lot for his phenomenal contributions here on mangoes over the years and it’s mainly because of him that my mango collection is so delicious.
When I was starting my hobby I bought my trees without ever having even tasted most of those varieties and it was 90% because of bsbullie and all his descriptions and tastes and judgements etc that I listened to.
I really owe him a lot and respect him and I’m sorry if I upset him.