Author Topic: Marimari aka cassia leiandra  (Read 1886 times)

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
Marimari aka cassia leiandra
« on: February 05, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »
Does anyone in this group cultivate this plant or have tasted it? From what I read it tasted sweet and sour similar to a sweet tamarind.Also it grows in a swamp and enjoys being inundated and is a fast growing plant with the ability to fix nitrogen.Hopefully those who have planted it and tasted it can share more about this plant

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
Re: Marimari aka cassia leiandra
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:50:31 AM »
Yes we have one here, people eat for medicine or herb... i never try it.

I think is good for going toilet to eat it.

Do you want the pod? I saw a fresh pod under him one hour ago.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 09:53:42 AM by sunny »

DaveT

• Australia,QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 02:23:05 PM »
Yes, it does have a texture similar to tamarind but the sweetness is more bland without the tang of tamarind. In Australia on the east coast it grows from Northern New South Wales up to North Queensland. It grows down in the Lismore valley so it can tolerate at least light frost. In NSW it is rather charmingly called "Golden Shower". I didn't eat much of it so I didn't experience any untoward digestive accidents that Sunny indicates.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:07:18 PM »
Well from the info I got today maybe no.I read that it is kinda bland

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 08:09:02 PM »

I suppose no.from the info I got today it tasted kinda bland.Was hoping it to be sweet

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 08:10:27 PM »
Yes, it does have a texture similar to tamarind but the sweetness is more bland without the tang of tamarind. In Australia on the east coast it grows from Northern New South Wales up to North Queensland. It grows down in the Lismore valley so it can tolerate at least light frost. In NSW it is rather charmingly called "Golden Shower". I didn't eat much of it so I didn't experience any untoward digestive accidents that Sunny indicates.
Interesting.Are you its the same species? Golden Shower is a similar plant from the same species.

DaveT

• Australia,QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »
Interesting.Are you its the same species? Golden Shower is a similar plant from the same species.

You could be right Arvind, The Cassia family is quite big and Golden Shower is considered a weed here on the East Coast.

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »
My search on the internet show golden shower is cassia fistula native to the indian subcontinent.the fruit or seeds is used as laxatives.

sunny

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 10:50:24 AM »
Yes looks same , our tree has the drumstick seeds, long straight pod dark brown.

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
Hi

I wonder if you are talking about the same Amazonian Marimari, I believe that they are talking about some species of Acacia, many people confuse the species, even in the Amazon it is rare that you find the correct source of this specie
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 10:26:00 PM »
Hi

I wonder if you are talking about the same Amazonian Marimari, I believe that they are talking about some species of Acacia, many people confuse the species, even in the Amazon it is rare that you find the correct source of this specie
Yes I was talking about the amazonian species. The indian golden shower plants are common here after doing a search on the internet.tell us more about the amazonian species