Author Topic: Some tips on using banana flower  (Read 3400 times)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Some tips on using banana flower
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
Talked to my friends mother (who is Sri Lankan). She gave me some tips on how to cook and use banana flower.

Prep: Banana flower should be sliced thin, then soaked in a salt water brine for 3-5 min. The banana flower should then be squeezed till most of the water comes out. This process is what removes the bitterness from the banana flower.

Cooking: She told me she cooks on a lower heat on the stove, using more olive oil. Cook time between 5-10 min depending on progress. Flower should turn a brown white color.

I did not specifically ask for the spices etc. she uses. Next time I will go over and ask. I can insure you the banana flower was very tasty  ;D.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

red durian

• Malaysia, Sabah, Tawau
    • View Profile
Re: Some tips on using banana flower
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
For years I wondered how to cook banana flower and always imagined it would not taste very good.  In Java I ate some delicious food and upon asking what it was, discovered it was banana flower.  Now, my wife cooks it regularly.  Here is how she does it.

First peel off the tough outer petals until the flower is light coloured.
Then slice in half lengthwise.
Boil in salted water until the halved flowers turns grey (about 15 minutes)
Discard water.
Slice flower into small pieces.
Boil again with salted water until tender.
Add a paste of spices fried in oil (garlic, onion, coriander, black pepper, lemon grass, tamarind, chili pepper, turmeric) and continue boiling for 5 minutes.
Add coconut milk (second and third squeeze) and boil 5 more minutes.
Turn heat to low, wait until boiling stops and then add the first squeeze of coconut milk. 

Serve on rice, but accompany this food with fried tempeh.  You could also throw some chicken into the banana flower water for your protein.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »
red durian,

That sounds like a tasty banana flower recipe. May have to try that way as well.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Recher

• 2221 dunoon rd dorroughby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:38:57 AM »
I had been told that in The Philippines only a couple out of many banana cvs are used re: flower for veggie. Any truth to this?
Wealth is being able to afford principle

Memory is responsible for the illusion of linear time

Tim

• Global Moderator
    • USA, Escondido, CA 92027, zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 12:42:22 PM »
This is also true in Vietnam, though I do not know which cvs.  Supposedly, they have better flavor and texture.

I had been told that in The Philippines only a couple out of many banana cvs are used re: flower for veggie. Any truth to this?
Tim

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
Thanks for sharing, guys :)

I always give my nanna flowers to the chickens...I will definitely give this a shot, when i have some :)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!