Author Topic: Monstera Deliciosa Review (VIDEO)  (Read 3330 times)

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
Monstera Deliciosa Review (VIDEO)
« on: October 14, 2015, 08:58:45 PM »
These are wonderful!

! No longer available
- Jared
Check out my youtube series, Weird Fruit Explorer:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UChsbD6Clp-ZPqKwXJR3V7DQ

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Monstera Deliciosa Review (VIDEO)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 09:18:35 PM »
I just tried this for the first time tonight thanks to bsbullie and it is delicious. as the segments pulled away it looked like the canned pineapple segment; it had a banana like texture and actually tasted a bit like both. almost like the taste of the juice from a canned fruit cocktail.  I'm not sure how productive the plant is but, can't hurt to grow it outside in the shade somewhere for an occasional treat. good looking plant too; very ornamental.
Mic

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 09:21:49 PM »
Glad you liked it.  That area i picked that from is very productive.
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 10:42:16 PM »
Only ever eaten one or two and the tingling sensation was too much for me (what I ate was very ripe with the 'kernels' falling off). It was delicious but the acid content (I guess that's the issue) took away some of the pleasantness. Cool fruit though.

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 01:25:48 AM »
I just tried this for the first time tonight thanks to bsbullie and it is delicious. as the segments pulled away it looked like the canned pineapple segment; it had a banana like texture and actually tasted a bit like both. almost like the taste of the juice from a canned fruit cocktail.  I'm not sure how productive the plant is but, can't hurt to grow it outside in the shade somewhere for an occasional treat. good looking plant too; very ornamental.
Yes its a beautiful plant and has such a complex flavor. It reminds me a bit of anonas.

Only ever eaten one or two and the tingling sensation was too much for me (what I ate was very ripe with the 'kernels' falling off). It was delicious but the acid content (I guess that's the issue) took away some of the pleasantness. Cool fruit though.

I never had much of a problem with the tingling. It could be that the ones you had or you may be more receptive to the oxalic acid.
- Jared

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 07:43:41 AM »
I really enjoy this fruit, it takes FOREVER for the fruit to ripen on the vine but well worth the wait. I describe the flavor to people as tropical and spiky.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 07:52:42 AM »
If you are getting a tingly or scratchy sensation, then you are eating it unripe.  I know it may sound weird to some and be a pain in the a$$, but you should only eat the portions of flesh where the outer covering (green "octaginal" shaped pieces thatcover the flesh) falls off on its own.  If you have to use any force at all to remove those sections, than its not truly ready and will most likely cause that sensation.
- Rob

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 07:57:51 AM »
I tried one this year myself and enjoyed the flavor.   My girlfriends plant had three fruit and was replaced by three more. 
Something got one of the fruit that were close to ripe, not sure what critter likes them but something does,

Very nice flavor and interesting fruit in general.   The plant itself is very nice in shade areas under a big tree. It won't replace mango but worth growing just for the plant.. 

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 11:16:01 AM »
I tried one this year myself and enjoyed the flavor.   My girlfriends plant had three fruit and was replaced by three more. 
Something got one of the fruit that were close to ripe, not sure what critter likes them but something does,

Very nice flavor and interesting fruit in general.   The plant itself is very nice in shade areas under a big tree. It won't replace mango but worth growing just for the plant..

SavemeJebus said he waited until they fell off and it still was too tingly. Wouldn't that suggest his fruit wasn't good and had more acid than it should... or that he's sensitive to the acid?
- Jared

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 11:19:01 AM »

Tastes great, but doesn't matter how ripe it is, for me I always have sensitivity, the crystals make my throat feel scratchy.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 11:24:36 AM »
Isn't starfruit high in oxalic acid? We have 4 trees and probably eat more starfruit than most, and I've never had any issues there. I'd be down for trying another monstera especially hearing they grow in shade. That opens up a while side of house of possibilities lol.

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
We love this fruit and eat it constantly. Even when fully ripe there may be a little tingling.
We've found a great way to eat it:
1. Wrap the entire fruit tightly with Saran Wrap. This way the external kernels/shell will stay in place until the entire fruit has ripened. This may take 8-14 days. You can feel through the plastic when all the external skin has loosened; at that point the entire fruit is ripe. Put in the refrigerator for one day.
2. Roll it on its side a couple of times (this will reduce the tingling micro-hairs). As you take off the Saran Wrap all the green external kernels will fall off. Cut the entire fruit in 1-inch circles/disks (similar to what you could do with an ear of corn). Bite the flesh off the "husk" on the little disks, that way you don't get the tingling hairs on your lips.

This fruit takes 12 months to be ready for picking on the plant but it will not ripen on the plant. I wait a full year (until the new crop of fruits is already on the plant) and then I harvest last year's fruits.
Federico
Homestead, FL

Jared

• NYC
    • View Profile
    • Weird Fruit Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 10:40:14 AM »
We love this fruit and eat it constantly. Even when fully ripe there may be a little tingling.
We've found a great way to eat it:
1. Wrap the entire fruit tightly with Saran Wrap. This way the external kernels/shell will stay in place until the entire fruit has ripened. This may take 8-14 days. You can feel through the plastic when all the external skin has loosened; at that point the entire fruit is ripe. Put in the refrigerator for one day.
2. Roll it on its side a couple of times (this will reduce the tingling micro-hairs). As you take off the Saran Wrap all the green external kernels will fall off. Cut the entire fruit in 1-inch circles/disks (similar to what you could do with an ear of corn). Bite the flesh off the "husk" on the little disks, that way you don't get the tingling hairs on your lips.

This fruit takes 12 months to be ready for picking on the plant but it will not ripen on the plant. I wait a full year (until the new crop of fruits is already on the plant) and then I harvest last year's fruits.

Thanks for the advice, next time I have that I'll try it that way.

Monstera makes a wonderful jam too, and its pretty easy to scrape the little black irritants off the top as you cook it. But they don't affect me, so I never really bother going to the trouble.
- Jared

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 01:24:16 PM »
Isn't starfruit high in oxalic acid? We have 4 trees and probably eat more starfruit than most, and I've never had any issues there. I'd be down for trying another monstera especially hearing they grow in shade. That opens up a while side of house of possibilities lol.

Star fruit has oxalic acid, not calcium oxalate...two different compounds.

It's the crystals that make you itch...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_oxalate
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

JFranco

• Ericeira, Portugal, Zone 10b.
    • View Profile
    • Passionfruit & Friends
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 01:35:24 PM »
Hi!

The taste is good, but lots of time to eat a whole fruit.

Joćo

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »
I adore this fruit...awesome flavor

Great tips from fsanchez on how to eat it - clever.

I think I may have had a little tingling too despite waiting quite a while after scales fell off. Not to be TMI but one other reaction I had to this fruit - laxative!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk