Author Topic: Mango, how to force particular bud(s) to push?  (Read 1436 times)

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Mango, how to force particular bud(s) to push?
« on: November 03, 2020, 09:15:18 AM »
Is there a way to encourage particular buds to push along a branch/trunk (other than lopping off everything above it)? I've read about forcing buds on citrus trees by notching above the bud you want to push, is this effective in mangoes? If it's not, is there another way? I have a few small trees that have trunks that split to V (2 branches), I'd like to have 3 or 4 main branches instead of just 2.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: Mango, how to force particular bud(s) to push?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 10:39:29 AM »
Can you just pop off the leaves @ that bud?
Shane

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 01:42:55 PM »
This might be just a coincidence or it might really works. I stripped the leaves near the growth node, then expose the spot to the sun as much as possible. Then I spray that spot with water mixed in dyna grow solution (i use 1 tbsp/ gallon, half dose of recommended). I spray it whenever I remember, sometimes once a day, sometimes twice. In about 3 weeks, the new growth pops up.
The pictures is my unknown variety, in ground for 7 months. It is lanky, but now it starts growing new branches from lower trunk.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 01:53:02 PM by palingkecil »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 01:50:04 PM »
The way to force growth where you want it is remove all the other  uds you dont want to grow. On a mango, as soon as the bad ones start swelling cut them off with a razor.  Mangos tent to grow from the top of the canopy though, you may need to remove the growth above.  That will definitely work.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 02:08:11 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 01:54:22 PM »
Is there a way to encourage particular buds to push along a branch/trunk (other than lopping off everything above it)? I've read about forcing buds on citrus trees by notching above the bud you want to push, is this effective in mangoes? If it's not, is there another way? I have a few small trees that have trunks that split to V (2 branches), I'd like to have 3 or 4 main branches instead of just 2.

Girdling branches worked for me.
I've done this around a dozen times.

I prefer to do this a few months before top working, it gives the new grafts some shade

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 02:09:26 PM by skhan »

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 03:08:37 PM »

I prefer to do this a few months before top working, it gives the new grafts some shade

I can't make anything out. How do girdle?
Shane

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 03:25:08 PM »
Remove a thin strip of bark around the entire branch. I marked the girdle and two branches that appear to be the result of the girdle. I can see the graft on the branch on the left.

Brandon

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 03:37:49 PM »
Thanks Brandon.
I was thinking about adding that but never got around to it

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 04:24:47 PM »

So the process is pretty simple.
I used my hand saw and went through the bark all the way  around.

The smaller the diameter the thinner your cut can be.
I use steak knives for 1"-2" wood

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 06:50:15 PM »
Very interesting thread. I have a situation where one of the tropical storms broke off two of my red stems that were part of  scaffolding branches that I desired. I went below where they broke off to side leaves and pruned. Which eventually fell off and it looks like it could potentially bud there.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 07:16:31 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 10:31:29 AM »

I notched this over the weekend, still early, but it seems like it's pushing. Should have done this a month ago, but maybe the tree will get one more growth flush in before winter. I'll keep this thread updated with results.

Having air-layered several trees in the last two years, the full girdle of the branch/trunk that Skan displayed is definitely a proven method of forcing buds, but it also seems ~maybe~ detrimental to the growth above the girdle. Skan does it when he intends to top, but I want the branch/trunk above the bud I'm (hopefully) forcing to continue to grow.

Hopefully some more experienced growers can chime in. Does a full girdle around a branch, breaking the cambium layer and sap flow, have a detrimental long-term effect on growth above the girdle?

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2020, 11:38:38 AM »

I notched this over the weekend, still early, but it seems like it's pushing. Should have done this a month ago, but maybe the tree will get one more growth flush in before winter. I'll keep this thread updated with results.

Having air-layered several trees in the last two years, the full girdle of the branch/trunk that Skan displayed is definitely a proven method of forcing buds, but it also seems ~maybe~ detrimental to the growth above the girdle. Skan does it when he intends to top, but I want the branch/trunk above the bud I'm (hopefully) forcing to continue to grow.

Hopefully some more experienced growers can chime in. Does a full girdle around a branch, breaking the cambium layer and sap flow, have a detrimental long-term effect on growth above the girdle?

The part above it grows just fine.
I've done this both to fill in the bottom of the tree and for top working.

The full girdle fill with sap and heals after a few months. The trees down here hardly skip a beat

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2020, 12:22:41 PM »
Question does a half girdle or half Notch have any effect or does it have to be the full girdle to get the desired effect. Nervous Nelly :)
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2020, 03:11:06 PM »
It never worked for me but I only tried it once or twice.
Chris from Truly tropical had a video on it too, it didn't seem to work for her either.

If the tree is young and the bark is still green it might be easier, though I don't think its worth it better off just trimming at that stage