Author Topic: Seeking yuzu seed  (Read 2745 times)

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Seeking yuzu seed
« on: May 12, 2019, 06:55:48 AM »
Want to try yuzu as rootstock for mandrins. Need seed.....anyone?

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking yuzu seed
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 12:10:07 PM »
It would be more appropriate to ask this request when Yuzu fruit are in season.

I've offered Yuzu seed in the past. There were no takers. And I am fully confident when I offer it again there will still be no responses at that time.

If you want fresh seed, the burden is on YOU to respond to the seller's offer at the right time.
Try coming back December.

(And you might need to consider an indoor germination area under artificial lighting, because I doubt the seeds are going to grow outside in the Winter)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 12:17:41 PM by SoCal2warm »

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 12:15:34 PM »
Yuzu hang on the tree for a long time. Someone that has a tree may still have fruit hanging. I cut all of mine down sorry I can't help you.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 06:19:22 PM »
Thanks gentlemen. Was taking a chance that someone still had some viable seed. I have propagation chambers that I use to start seed regardless of winter/summer. Full of FD and standard poncirus at present. I will watch when fruit is available.

deRoode

• The Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 07:22:54 AM »
You can find Yuzu seeds on ebay, although I am not sure about the quality and authenticity of the seeds.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 06:37:22 PM »
You can find Yuzu seeds on ebay, although I am not sure about the quality and authenticity of the seeds.
95% of the time they will not germinate (tested before), unless you find a professional who sells on in season and packs well.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 07:21:27 PM »
Yes you are right. I am old school. Enough till I do not trust ebay sellers. Have not bought any citrus/seed but hear the dissapointing sagas from those that do. If you know about citrus you reconize lots of lies and scams on ebay....

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 05:56:47 AM »
I think Cleopatra mandarin is a better rootstock for zone than Yuzu, it grows faster.

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 10:34:51 AM »
Very possible. I have been using FD & standard poncirus for years but I am looking for another rootstock. Poncirus works very well for me but as you stated it is a slow grower......

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 10:40:22 AM »
Swingle is my go to...

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 10:44:37 AM »
Swingle is a faster growing rootstock than poncirus or cleo mandrin. Makes a bigger tree too.

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 10:48:05 AM »
The last of my Yuzu fruits, clinging for dear life. I am waiting for it to fall and evaluate once it fell. I usually leave some fruits to see how long they keep on the tree. Yuzu ripens around November but it is usually used when the rind color is yellow-green for peak flavor of the juice and that starts in late October. The skin needs to be yellow when it is used, as it would be very aromatic by then. Yuzu are among the most expensive citrus fruits, sometimes more expensive than Sumo or Cherry Mandarin (Seedless Kishu).

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 04:11:35 PM »
Sounds like a good venture Joe. I hope it pleases you. I am fond of Yuzu and wish it were a faster grower....but perhaps it is slow for a reason....seems to me that the slowest growers are the most cold hardy..

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 05:09:07 PM »
Bear in mind that Yuzu is not resistant to phytophthora root rot whereas PT is.
For instance the highest yield,fast growth rate and sweetest for satsumas mandarins is Rusk citrange. Yuzu gives the half of that and makes it less sweet.
Another promising rootstock and very fast growing, resistant to tristeza virus, but not resistant to cold weather is Shiikuwasha. This rootstock continues to grow in winter compared to PT and its hybrids because it has the lowest concentration of growth retard hormones.
Also this rootstock is used to induce flowering in hybrid seedlings, like one third flower in 2 years and a half.
I have a Shiikuwasha which just made fruits and will probably have seeds in winter/spring if you are interested.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 05:21:33 PM by lebmung »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 06:05:21 PM »
Yes I am interested. I have found that to really evaluate a rootstock is to use it in the environment that one grows citrus in. Different nuances that environment and native soil seem to affect rootstocks differently. Let me know if you have extra seed when the time is right.

JoeReal

• USA, California, Davis/Woodland/Sacramento, USDA Zone 9b
    • View Profile
    • Joe Real Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 10:49:14 AM »
Sounds like a good venture Joe. I hope it pleases you. I am fond of Yuzu and wish it were a faster grower....but perhaps it is slow for a reason....seems to me that the slowest growers are the most cold hardy..

Yuzu when grafted on Calamondin have become fast grower and very productive for me! Not that good on trifoliate though, it is slow.

lebmung

• View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 07:40:20 PM »
In southern Europe they root the cuttings of Yuzu and not use any rootstock, probably becasue of slow growth.