Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

kishu mandarin x poncirus?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Walt:
I have aquired seedless Kishu with the intent to cross the seedless trait into my breeding population.  So obviously I think it is a good idea.  Let us know how it goes.  Given that you are in zone 7, you might get seedless citandarins in the F2 that are hardy in your zone.  All the citandarins I'm tasted have been very sour, but I liked the juice with water and stevia extract to sweeten it.   Keep us up to date on your work.
I have tasted Clem tri clem (Cementine x trifoliate) x Clementine.  It was sour too.  But I've read that Dr. Brown had some 3/4 mandarins that were good.

Ilya11:

--- Quote from: Millet on September 11, 2020, 11:11:41 AM ---Ilya11, tell us about Southern Yellow.  I have never heard of it, and I'm sure many on this forum, if not most, have never heard of it.  Is it a mandarin?  I typed "Southern Yellow" on the Internet but found nothing.

--- End quote ---
Millet, it is a kind of seedless sweet pomelo.
Here some pictures of it

vnomonee:

--- Quote from: Walt on September 11, 2020, 11:43:01 AM ---I have aquired seedless Kishu with the intent to cross the seedless trait into my breeding population.  So obviously I think it is a good idea.  Let us know how it goes.  Given that you are in zone 7, you might get seedless citandarins in the F2 that are hardy in your zone.  All the citandarins I'm tasted have been very sour, but I liked the juice with water and stevia extract to sweeten it.   Keep us up to date on your work.
I have tasted Clem tri clem (Cementine x trifoliate) x Clementine.  It was sour too.  But I've read that Dr. Brown had some 3/4 mandarins that were good.

--- End quote ---

I tasted a clem tri clem fruit (and agree it was sour with a hint of "kerosene" in the pith, maybe from the trifoliate in it) but it wasn't horrible and definitely could be used to make juice! I planted all of the seeds, the ones that came up had tiny leaves and not much vigor. All of the seedlings I had never grew up and perished after a short time for some reason. I have successfully grown an abundance of citrus seedlings from seeds so I don't know if it was something I did or if it was poor genetics in the seeds of that particular fruit. Even if this project turns up with nothing more than slightly more edible ornamental fruit than straight up poncirus it would be a success for me

vnomonee:
I will definitely look into an early Satsuma, that would seem like a good choice considering the fruit is larger than the Kishu.

Ilya11:
Satsumas are highly nucellar and their flowers are rarely contain pollen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version