Citrus > Cold Hardy Citrus

Yuzu seedling growing in Washington state

<< < (3/5) > >>

SoCal2warm:
Here's a picture that was taken on September 1, 2021

The Yuzu is getting bigger and growing fast. At the time of this picture it was putting out a new flush of leaf growth.
The trunk seems to be noticeably thickening as well.

I would estimate the plant must be about 3 feet tall right now. (I think plants grow faster when they are growing on their own roots)

nullroar:
My Yuzu survived last winter in the ground in rural north Alabama (7b)

SoCal2warm:
Picture taken October 7, 2021

The crushed up leaves smell very pleasantly spicily fragrant, more mild and less harsh than the smell of normal citrus leaves.
I mean I could almost imagine the leaves being used as a perfume ingredient.

SoCal2warm:
Here's a picture that was taken December 17, 2021
Keep in mind that the plant had not experienced freezing temperatures yet so far in the season at the time of this picture, which explains why the leaves look so good.

You can see that it's looking pretty healthy and has put on some size.

sumacgrove:
Fantastic stuff guys, I managed to grow a yuzu seedling and it should do fine in my 8a-8b corner of Vancouver Island... Probably under some sort of shelter.

I grew low hundreds of assorted citrus seedlings, mostly from the mandarin/ meyer lemon family, from the grocery store (not one seed was wasted) and all but the rarest (which are inside a cold garage) are outdoors in an unheated greenhouse or against the side of the house. I have a few store-bought grafted citrus trees.

So far only light to moderate damage even though it recently dipped as cold as -10C to -5 for a week but based on my experience from past years it cuts close or too late by the end of the last coldest month (March) for all but the bigger trees that are outdoors however I have plenty of surplus this year to find out which one can handle the most punishment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version