Author Topic: Ceylon Mango  (Read 8601 times)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Ceylon Mango
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:50:02 AM »
Currently vacationing in Barbados and came across a wonderful little mango called the Ceylon. Not familiar with it, so not sure if it's local or regional to the islands. It resembles Bombay in shape but smaller, can be pitted and spooned out. Not a hint of fiber , very firm yellow orange flesh, and taste.. a hint of skittles with a twist of sprite and red wine undertones, oh and a hint of risky one night stand experience ....ok seriously now I'd describe it as a very very flavorful Glenn in a dry year. Anyone familiar with it? I may try to see what I can do with scions when I'm travelling back.

Re: the tree, hard to tell it's growth pattern as the two trees I saw were clearly older trees (going by trunk size) that were seriously cut back and therefore very compact and bushy. Fruit seem to grow in clumps and highly productive with obvious signs of multiple blooms given fruit in various stages. From fruitlets to ripe fruit

always longing for a JA Julie

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Ceylon Mango
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:54:59 AM »
Ceylon (Sri Lanka) was reported to have some of the best mangoes when visited in the early 1900s by occultist & explorer Aleister Crowley. He claimed the very northern tip of the island (Jaffna) was mango paradise that far surpassed the fruits found in India.

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:56:16 AM »
How is Barbados? A Jamaican friend told me it was really mellow and nice to visit.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 12:13:37 PM »
How is Barbados? A Jamaican friend told me it was really mellow and nice to visit.

The entire economy of Barbados is based on stolen flying fish from the territorial waters of Trinidad and Tobago. It should be annexed since it's probably about as useful as Tobago.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 04:41:12 PM »
Just like Jamaica stole the Julie from Tnt huh? :)

Tourist based economy in recent history and formerly a sugar based economy. Very nice Island Brett, smaller than Jamaica and Trinidad but  about the same level of development and standard of living. Highly recommended to visit.

The Ceylon mango is great, l'll update on scions if I'm successful in getting them it.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »

Tourist based economy in recent history and formerly a sugar based economy. Very nice Island Brett, smaller than Jamaica and Trinidad but  about the same level of development and standard of living. Highly recommended to visit.

The Ceylon mango is great, l'll update on scions if I'm successful in getting them it.

Comparing the standard of living between Trinidad and Jamaica is like comparing the standard of living between Trinidad and the US. Jamaica's GDP per capita is more than 3x less than Trinidad's.  Barbados also has a lower GDP per capita than Trinidad but not as low as Jamaica.  ;D

I don't think you are legally allowed to bring in mango scions from Barbados without a two year post entry quarantine. You face jail time and fines if you do attempt to bring it in without the proper permits and quarantine. You are also putting all of the mango trees in Florida at risk of potential new diseases and pests if you do not follow the PEQ procedures.

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 01:20:17 AM »
In and around Varkala (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varkala), there is a famous local Mango variety known as Kolamb Manga, which is supposed to be from Colombo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colombo).
The Mango has very unique cylindrical shape (all most same width from top to bottom). Sweet without sourness even in the tender stage, fiber-less.
Those who ate the Mango swear that this is the most delicious variety they have ever eaten.
I am yet to taste this Mango.  :blank:

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 03:58:29 AM »

Comparing the standard of living between Trinidad and Jamaica is like comparing the standard of living between Trinidad and the US. Jamaica's GDP per capita is more than 3x less than Trinidad's.  Barbados also has a lower GDP per capita than Trinidad but not as low as Jamaica.  ;D

I don't think you are legally allowed to bring in mango scions from Barbados without a two year post entry quarantine. You face jail time and fines if you do attempt to bring it in without the proper permits and quarantine. You are also putting all of the mango trees in Florida at risk of potential new diseases and pests if you do not follow the PEQ procedures.
not even sure where to or if I should start with this.. but suffice to say GDP alone especially without consideration of a number of factors is not an accurate measure of standard of living..actually standard of living indices and human development indices aren't just measured by economic factors on a whole much less GDP as as one individual subset, but incorporate so many other and also non economic factors including human health, poverty, access to facilities, public services and healthcare, crime, transport, environmental quality, infrastructure , political stability and transition of power , legal climate, happiness indices ,  culture, life expectancy, law enforcement climate, corruption indices, even entertainment...

I could go on and on...and regardless there's no one universal correct method for "measurement" and standard of living means different things to the individual ..and it isn't just a snapshot at one moment in time as economies ebb an flow.(in my less than 40 years each of the 3 islands have boasted the best economic and/or other performance compared to the other 2 at one point or the other) admittedly now it's Trinidad's turn (petro and finance industries largely) however much of that wealthy doesn't reach the people at all, and crime is spiralling put of control  ...suffice to say looking at GDP alone especially without significant  context is overly simplistic ... Barbados especially, though currently in an economic downtown, has previoulsy routinely ranked higher than most of the other islands  for many developmental indices and is actually one of if not the first to be no longer considered a "developing country" admittedly I forget by what source without looking it up (UN , world bank something or the other...)

Although Jamaican, I spent lots of time in all 3 of these islands growing up and am a citizen of 2 and could qualify for the one I don't have..and stand by my statement the standard of living, historic level of development etc is about the same. Compared to the other former British West Indian colonies these 3 have been historically seen as the most developed with the highest standards of living.

By the way had a great time in Trinidad last week as the first part of my vacation ...still picking doux doux mango strings from my teeth. :)

Anyway thanks for the advice on the scions ..yeah I agree it probably isn't worth it especially as I'm travelling with the kids. I'll look into appropriate permitting for next time.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:04:10 AM by Jani »

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 04:15:09 AM »
Oh and money, economies, and development aside...

I can proudly say there's probably no country that has had more of a global influence culturally for its size like Jamaica ...including the Julie mango (and its many descendants ) to steer this back on topic...

Damn Trinis... :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 04:19:40 AM by Jani »

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 08:57:33 PM »
Are there any outstanding Trini or Jamaican restaurants in S. Florida that are 'worth the drive' to visit?

the best Trini place I've found is Joy's Roti in Lauderhill. Has good curry, especially the shrimp & duck.  the best Jamaican place I know is Yaad Style Cusine in WPB, on Military just a block north of Belvedere.... and just down the road from Mounts Botanical Garden. They really know how to cook!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:10:24 AM by BrettBorders »

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:09:54 PM »
Vipiniril,

Oh man...I would love to try it! Please go get some kolamb manga if you get the chance...post pic and your review!

Kerala is beautiful country... I loved visiting there very much.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 12:55:25 AM »

not even sure where to or if I should start with this.. but suffice to say GDP alone especially without consideration of a number of factors is not an accurate measure of standard of living..actually standard of living indices and human development indices aren't just measured by economic factors on a whole much less GDP as as one individual subset, but incorporate so many other and also non economic factors including human health, poverty, access to facilities, public services and healthcare, crime, transport, environmental quality, infrastructure , political stability and transition of power , legal climate, happiness indices ,  culture, life expectancy, law enforcement climate, corruption indices, even entertainment...

I could go on and on...and regardless there's no one universal correct method for "measurement" and standard of living means different things to the individual ..and it isn't just a snapshot at one moment in time as economies ebb an flow.(in my less than 40 years each of the 3 islands have boasted the best economic and/or other performance compared to the other 2 at one point or the other) admittedly now it's Trinidad's turn (petro and finance industries largely) however much of that wealthy doesn't reach the people at all, and crime is spiralling put of control  ...suffice to say looking at GDP alone especially without significant  context is overly simplistic ... Barbados especially, though currently in an economic downtown, has previoulsy routinely ranked higher than most of the other islands  for many developmental indices and is actually one of if not the first to be no longer considered a "developing country" admittedly I forget by what source without looking it up (UN , world bank something or the other...)

Although Jamaican, I spent lots of time in all 3 of these islands growing up and am a citizen of 2 and could qualify for the one I don't have..and stand by my statement the standard of living, historic level of development etc is about the same. Compared to the other former British West Indian colonies these 3 have been historically seen as the most developed with the highest standards of living.

By the way had a great time in Trinidad last week as the first part of my vacation ...still picking doux doux mango strings from my teeth. :)

Anyway thanks for the advice on the scions ..yeah I agree it probably isn't worth it especially as I'm travelling with the kids. I'll look into appropriate permitting for next time.

https://imgflip.com/i/ov55w
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 01:01:53 AM by gunnar429 »
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 12:56:27 AM »
Vipiniril,

Oh man...I would love to try it! Please go get some kolamb manga if you get the chance...post pic and your review!

Kerala is beautiful country... I loved visiting there very much.

Sure, dear friend...

dongeorgio

• If you have any mango that I don't...CONTACT ME!
    • zone 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 08:26:39 AM »

If you ever have one week left to live, spend it in Barbados . . . because every hour feels like a month.  Time stands still on that mound of dirt and annoying accents.  Do yourself a favor and skip it.   Skip Trinidad too.  Sheehan is trying to lure you there so his cousins can rob you. 
George

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:20 AM »

If you ever have one week left to live, spend it in Barbados . . . because every hour feels like a month.  Time stands still on that mound of dirt and annoying accents.  Do yourself a favor and skip it.   Skip Trinidad too.  Sheehan is trying to lure you there so his cousins can rob you.

;D ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 08:05:52 AM »
Are there any outstanding Trini or Jamaican restaurants in S. Florida that are 'worth the drive' to visit?

the best Trini place I've found is Joy's Roti in Lauderhill. Has good curry, especially the shrimp & duck.  the best Jamaican place I know is Yaad Style Cusine in WPB, on Military just a block north of Belvedere.... and just down the road from Mounts Botanical Garden. They really know how to cook!

I have also heard good things about Joy's.  Another that I have had good reports about is http://www.luckycityfoods.com/

I haven't personally been to either, but I hear that while no fancy, these are authentic.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

BrettBorders

• Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
Are there any outstanding Trini or Jamaican restaurants in S. Fl?

I have also heard good things about Joy's.  Another that I have had good reports about is http://www.luckycityfoods.com/

I haven't personally been to either, but I hear that while no fancy, these are authentic.

Great, I'll check out Lucky City on my next trek south. Joy's does a good job (but 30 - 60 minute wait in line on weekends.. Hard to get table!..try it on a weekday). Yaad Style Cuisine in WPB is good anytime.

P.s. I wish we had a Sri Lankan (Ceylon) restaurant. They make killer curry cuisine - cinnamon and cardmon is native to the island so they practically invented some of the curry flavors that later migrated to the Caribean. Sri Lankans are the KING of patties, Roti wraps, chopped  roti stir fry with curry (kottu Roti), fish currys are specially good. and they use coconut in most dishes and Curry Leaf is just about everything  except desserts
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:45:28 PM by BrettBorders »

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 08:41:16 PM »

What I got from all of that text is that Trinidad is better than Jamaica. Thanks for agreeing.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 08:42:27 PM »

I will not eat at Joy's. Here is why: http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/crime-and-safety/2011/05/18/2-south-florida-restaurants-briefly-closed-by-state-inspectors-for-health-safety-violations/

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »
The problem with pretty much most Trini "restaurants" is that they are roti based. So much other food in Trinidad other than roti and doubles. Some of the places do have other dishes on certain days but it's still very limited.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2015, 06:48:36 AM »
This thread has lost it's way  :D

Anyway my 2 cents...

An underrated Jamaican/Caribbean restaurant is Golden Krust..well.the one in miramar, not sure about the rest as they are individual franchises.

For those into more healthy or vegetarian cooking with  Caribbean twist, check out red yabba in Pembroke Pines, it's primarily Jamaican but there's other stuff like roti etc..

Re the Ceylon, saw it appeared at the Grenada mango festival on the other thread ....can someone school me on exactly how to go about getting the permits to bring this in? Or better yet can someone here with thr necessary permits already bring it in?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 10:48:33 AM »
You might also want to check out Shalama's Roti Shop. Its near 441 and Copans.
If your further south near Pembroke pines you can check out "Sheiks Bakery and Roti Cafe"

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 12:44:56 PM »
You might also want to check out Shalama's Roti Shop. Its near 441 and Copans.
If your further south near Pembroke pines you can check out "Sheiks Bakery and Roti Cafe"
Pack your patience with Sheiks...never have I been to a place that takes so long to serve anything..

LC's roti shop in the Miami Gardens area is for me, the best for that type of cuisine.