Author Topic: Passionfruit Variety Suggestions & Space Limitations  (Read 1555 times)

stephen

• Los Angeles, CA, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Passionfruit Variety Suggestions & Space Limitations
« on: May 14, 2020, 12:47:33 AM »
Hi, everyone! Just wondering if any of you have suggestions for passion fruit varieties that are sweeter, self-fruitful, and can be kept in a smaller space. Sadly I'm running out of space in my yard, but I have a corner that should get plenty of light. It would be nice to grow a passion fruit vine, since the fruit is so expensive to buy.

I'm thinking of Black Knight, since I read that it's suitable for container growing, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Any thoughts on whether that's a good variety? Or if I get another variety like Frederick or Panama Red that's more vigorous, can I just keep pruning it to keep it within the confines of the trellis, or is that fighting a losing battle?

Thank you!

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Passionfruit Variety Suggestions & Space Limitations
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 01:08:26 AM »
Frederick is almost always the easiest, best bet.  Black Knight isn't a vigorous grower, and some of the others tend to grow slowly when the weather is only sort of warm (like right now) rather than hot.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 08:17:28 AM »
Panama Red is awesome. Probably my fav so far

Passion vines get crazy, so trimming is important if you don't want them getting out of hand. Growing in a pot may help with that.

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »
Panama Red is awesome. Probably my fav so far

Passion vines get crazy, so trimming is important if you don't want them getting out of hand. Growing in a pot may help with that.

Thank you both for your thoughts! I'll check them out. :)

roblack, how would you describe the taste of Panama Red compared to other varieties? Why is it your favorite?

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »
Definitely Frederick. Tends to be a horizontal grower too, which is a huge bonus for pruning. I have several others and some just want to shoot straight up.
Shane

the_higher_self

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 12:56:06 PM »
Go with a passiflora incarnata. Fruit is tastier, flowers are prettier, grows epic in our area and it pops back up year after year. Plus they don't sell them in stores or markets from what I've seen. ALSO the leaves are highly medicinal. Fredericko, I can't say the same about. Maypop or P. Decaisneana. Ricardos nursery in Long Beach has a grip of P. Decaisneana, Ligularis, Molissima and Frederick's, all mature ready to fruit this or next year. Best of luck

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 01:04:57 PM »
Go with a passiflora incarnata. Fruit is tastier, flowers are prettier, grows epic in our area and it pops back up year after year. Plus they don't sell them in stores or markets from what I've seen. ALSO the leaves are highly medicinal. Fredericko, I can't say the same about. Maypop or P. Decaisneana. Ricardos nursery in Long Beach has a grip of P. Decaisneana, Ligularis, Molissima and Frederick's, all mature ready to fruit this or next year. Best of luck

Wow, how cool! I didn't know that. How would you describe incarnata? I just looked it up, and is it the same as maypop? How would you describe the taste compared to edulis Frederick?

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 07:35:27 PM »
not much difference in passion fruit tastes, usually difficult to discern any difference bw cultivars.

panama red or panama passion as they now call it at PIN is a nice blend of sweetness, with just enough tart. It grows nice red fruit, and is vigorous.

p. decaisneana is nice. very different from others, definitely want to add that your collection.

the_higher_self

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 10:19:03 PM »

Wow, how cool! I didn't know that. How would you describe incarnata? I just looked it up, and is it the same as maypop? How would you describe the taste compared to edulis Frederick?

It has a pineapple without the acid, banana without the overshadowing lingering flavor, slight cherimoya tropical note that smooths everything together with a slight tang. They have to be perfectly ripe wrinkled lowkey yellowish on the ground. Not Joan Rivers wrinkled but more like Clint Eastwood. My description is weak, they are bomb out of hand. P. Decaisneana tasted like honey lychee to me, no lie. Blew my mind. The taste it left in my mouth was like making out with a Greek flower goddess. Lovely.

stephen

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 01:03:36 AM »

It has a pineapple without the acid, banana without the overshadowing lingering flavor, slight cherimoya tropical note that smooths everything together with a slight tang. They have to be perfectly ripe wrinkled lowkey yellowish on the ground. Not Joan Rivers wrinkled but more like Clint Eastwood. My description is weak, they are bomb out of hand. P. Decaisneana tasted like honey lychee to me, no lie. Blew my mind. The taste it left in my mouth was like making out with a Greek flower goddess. Lovely.

I'm sold!! That's the best description of any fruit ever!!  ;D

palingkecil

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 12:59:01 PM »

I am a little confused here, since a lot of nursery sell Maypop as P.incarnata. So, Maypop is actually P. Decaisneana? Both of them are self fruitful?

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 01:09:28 PM »
Maypop is Incarnata.
I have several if you need one:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk