Author Topic: Wanted: Abiu  (Read 5875 times)

mwaterman07

• USA AZ 9a
    • View Profile
Wanted: Abiu
« on: May 29, 2013, 05:06:40 PM »
I'm looking for an Abiu tree..
However I live in AZ

It's been very difficult trying to find one that someone can ship to AZ

Thanks for your help!
Mike  :)

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Abiu
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:29:39 AM »
I think your best bet will be getting seeds.
- David Antonio Garcia

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »
Have you checked the Arizona chapter of CRFG? I sent some of their members a bunch of abiu seeds in a group buy quite some time ago. I wonder if any of their members have extra plants they might want to sell you?
Oscar

terejiguete

• Canary Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 10:03:43 PM »
Hello

I bought a seedling on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.es/Polynesian-Produce-Stand/_i.html?_nkw=abiu&submit=Buscar&_sid=57666481

the seedling arrived safely, after a week of travel. was well packed.

mwaterman07

• USA AZ 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »
Thank you guys for your help!

I'll try CRFG and ebay

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 11:35:37 PM »
Hello

I bought a seedling on ebay.

http://stores.ebay.es/Polynesian-Produce-Stand/_i.html?_nkw=abiu&submit=Buscar&_sid=57666481

the seedling arrived safely, after a week of travel. was well packed.

If they sell seeds from abiu of that size in the palm, than I wouldn't buy it. Too much hassle with that size. One of few qualities I would look at first: big fruit, one/two seeds. Of course can't guess much flavor from a pic.  I would look for abiu that covers your entire palm and hope that flavor follows. Something like this:

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 01:52:22 PM »
I'm looking for an Abiu tree..
However I live in AZ

It's been very difficult trying to find one that someone can ship to AZ

Thanks for your help!
Mike  :)

You can try Plantogram.com

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 03:25:32 PM »

I think it is best to follow the advice and not grow seeds from a tiny fruiting variety of unknown quality even if it is hard to get seeds or trees. Some small 'brumbies' are extremely ordinary. Good ones are usually large, spherical and have one or sometimes 2 seeds. The 3 fruit in the 2 pictures are from 3 different good quality varieties.

murraystevena2

• Plants on family farm in Bakersfield area and some things where i stay during the week in riverside
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »
Wow those are some beautiful photos of abiu. I was wondering if any one knows of any sources of superior varieties, also what are the names of those varieties and which are which. I have never tried Abiu but it is very high on my list of fruit that I want to try. (it and Mabolo being the other one that I have never been able to find, and I have no plants of it either...). I have a couple of seedling of unknown quality, but am interested in superior varieties or scion their of. Also can it be grafted on other pouterias? I think I have an extra big green sapote and some small lucumas...

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
Wow those are some beautiful photos of abiu. I was wondering if any one knows of any sources of superior varieties, also what are the names of those varieties and which are which. I have never tried Abiu but it is very high on my list of fruit that I want to try. (it and Mabolo being the other one that I have never been able to find, and I have no plants of it either...). I have a couple of seedling of unknown quality, but am interested in superior varieties or scion their of. Also can it be grafted on other pouterias? I think I have an extra big green sapote and some small lucumas...

Try the search feature on the forum. Mike T posted a lot of info about improved abiu types. Most of them come from Australia. Abiu is usually grafted on itself.
Oscar

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 07:27:28 PM »

Here is a short summary of varieties: http://www.nt.gov.au/d/Content/File/p/Fruit/446.pdf
First time I ever tried abiu it immediately moved to my top 10 favorites. I tried large, good tasting kind, so cannot imagine growing peach size fruit with 4 seeds. That would be huge downgrade. Tried to get seeds of top varieties.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 08:15:54 PM »
The northern territory trials were carried out in a very hot climate and a while ago. The T series abius never seem to have been established anywhere else.
The first picture I posted has z4 at the top e4 below that and in the following picture the cut abiu is inca gold. Gray and z2 are other very good types here but there are many seedling grown trees with great fruit and are of uncertain parentage. Marissa in the US could well be a seedling of z2.The characteristics of good types include low latex, resistance to bruising and browning, large size, few seeds and a rich caramel and sometimes vanilla flavour.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 09:05:08 PM »
Did Noel ever posted a pic his Marrisa holding in hand? Curious to compare sizes. This forum has become too big for certain searches..

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 09:24:55 PM »
Size comparisons are not easy because they vary quite a bit on one tree. The better types can all have fruit at 2lbs but may also have smaller fruit only half a pound. It can vary a bit between trees also. Maximum size or average might be a more reliable measure.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 10:17:44 PM »
Ok, thanks. Good to know. First time I tried abius in Borneo. I got seller's entire stock, maybe 6 kg. They were all universal in size. Maybe 1.5 pounds, +/- 100 grams, so I assumed that is how they are on the trees. My only disappointment is that I did not detect much caramel flavor. I grow seedlings from some of those abius. 
Since abius are a bit variable from seed, I have related question. Lets's say parent has fantastic flavor, Offspring is somewhat bland. Can the next next generation assume grandparent character, even thoug parent was  a bit bland? That is what I'm hoping with those abius , because physical characteristics indicate they come from top Australian selections.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 10:35:10 PM »
Flavor depends as much on the environmental conditions as much as the variety in abius. Excessive rain late in their development can make them lose a bit of flavor and so can insufficient nutrients. I am not sure about temperatures. When picked too soon they also are not at their best and may lack taste and sweetness.
Apparently they are establishing in SE Asia through Australia rather than from Brazil and other South American countries. As they were large and probably spherical with low latex and perhaps only one or two seeds they were probably derived from one of the best types.
It is likely the offspring trees will have fruit of full of flavor and it was environment reasons for their parents lack of flavor.