Author Topic: Available seeds of rare species. **July 2017**  (Read 95191 times)

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Available seeds of rare species. **January 2016**
« Reply #200 on: January 06, 2016, 08:16:05 AM »
Pm sent

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #201 on: January 08, 2016, 01:56:24 PM »
Hello Vitor,
such amazing pictures and seeds

i'm curious if you ate the Annona cacans? and how was the flavor?

although they appear to be seedy, the fruits look succulent and beautiful, with a decent size and symmetrical shape.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2016, 05:13:50 PM »
Hello Vitor,
such amazing pictures and seeds

i'm curious if you ate the Annona cacans? and how was the flavor?

although they appear to be seedy, the fruits look succulent and beautiful, with a decent size and symmetrical shape.

Hi friend.
The taste of Annona Cacans is very similar to the taste of some other Annonaceous, for example A. amazonica.
The texture is creamy, the taste is very close to fresh milk. The unique inconvenient is the laxative effect A. cacans have. I ate some small portions and never felt the effect, but I know some people who consumed 1/4 of a fruit and felt the laxative effect.
About  A.  amazonica I mentioned that the taste is similar to A. cacans (fresh milk), but I can not say it has the same effect, I believe not. But I can say that the smell is formidable, a strong aroma that reminds vanilla, a very special smell, it is possible to smell the fruit about 10 meters away.
Unfortunately few people venture to experience the taste of little-known fruit, believed to be poisonous fruit, it further affect the conservation of these species. It is important to demystify it and make the public knowledge of the great potential of our world's flora, which was still very little explored. We have the courage to consume countless industrial foods that we scarcely know the provenance, and we are afraid to consume food that is provided by nature. Of course we can not eat any fruit we do not know without knowing whether it is edible or not. We are gradually changing this story through our interest in plants.
Best Regards,

Vitor

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2016, 01:33:03 AM »
Thanks for info, according to this page : https://www.flickr.com/photos/94052068@N06/16467792827
Annona amazonica is toxic.

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2016, 07:46:40 PM »
Thanks for info, according to this page : https://www.flickr.com/photos/94052068@N06/16467792827

I know countless people bordering the Amazon region that does not have the courage to eat any fruit that is not really considered edible. I believe the biggest reason is because the Amazon culture, and also the risk of consuming some toxic substance in an inhospitable region and almost no medical facility. This is one of the biggest factors that hinder the conservation of species in the region.
For example, if you have the opportunity to meet some city of the Amazon region, or rather will extend to all regions of Brazil. If you are in any city in Brazil and have the opportunity to visit a local fruit fair, you will realize that the fruit will be marketed exclusively of common fruit trees species. If you find a small barrack at the fair, with farmer (usually collectors native fruits) is possible you find some lesser known species, but will realize that are used as remedy, and that the own seller recommends that it is not an appropriate fruit for consumption but it is good to countless health problems, such as abdominal pain or other numerous applications.
Specifically in Manaus (capital of Amazonas state) If you visit any local market and ask about Murici you will find the fruit of the species Byrsonima crassifolia, but if you look for the result of any other species Byrsonima (in the region there are numerous species of Byrsonima), you will not find. And if you are interested in asking why only commercialize the fruit of B. crassifolia, they will say it is the only variety that is possible to consume, and other fruits "similar" with B. crassifolia are not edible_. And if you keep asking what the reason for why they think it is not edible, many will say they heard their parents or grandparents, and they never risked eating the fruits, and probably never will.
I know many people who work with collection of fruits in the woods and I had the opportunity to walk with these people in many expeditions, many called me crazy for trying various fruits they believe to be poisonous. I argued and often explained that it was not a poisonous fruit, and I knew the correct botanical identification, but it is not enough for them to believe, is a complex culture and very hard to be adjusted, I do not worry about that anymore. Unfortunately the identification studies do not include information concerning to the fruit is edible or not, that orients and generates the idea that they are unfit for human consumption.
It's incredible the lack of knowledge of mankind about the flora of our planet, there are countless researchers around the few remaining forests on the surface of the planet, always publish studies but in recent times hardly publish on new species. Today there is generally no more students who are interested in the area of taxonomy, and only great teachers of the area are retired or died. There is no more incentive to masters or doctoral students entering studies in the area of taxonomy, today other study areas of botany has much more visibility. That is anyone discovers new species these days, and I'm sure there are countless species that have never been identified, many disappeared before being discovered, as many already disappeared and we will never know the existence.
I do not like being tragic or pessimistic, but it is a great loss to humanity to pay much attention to other areas of science, and so little attention to the flora of our planet. It is understandable that the studies that are made today are to improve our knowledge on species that have been discovered, but do not care about the thousands of unknown species that are being decimated. Knife and a search will find that almost every species we know today have been identified for many years ago, and incredibly by a small number of researchers, in the years after the work was done aimed only sort and group these species. It is interesting to know the work of Carl Friedrich Philipp von Martius, after the knowledge of the work of this illustrious researcher can better understand that almost nothing is done today. My concern is that if we are living in the next 50 years we will witness the announcement of the extinction of a daunting number of fauna and flora species.
Best regards,

Vitor

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2016, 06:14:38 AM »
Hi Vitor.
I´m trying one more time. Still waiting for your answer.
PM sent.

Regards,
Cassio

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: Available seeds of rare species. **April 2016**
« Reply #206 on: April 03, 2016, 03:25:35 AM »
Hi friends.
New species available.

Best regards,

Vitor

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 04, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »

I know countless people bordering the Amazon region that does not have the courage to eat any fruit that is not really considered edible. I believe the biggest reason is because the Amazon culture, and also the risk of consuming some toxic substance in an inhospitable region and almost no medical facility. This is one of the biggest factors that hinder the conservation of species in the region.
For example, if you have the opportunity to meet some city of the Amazon region, or rather will extend to all regions of Brazil. If you are in any city in Brazil and have the opportunity to visit a local fruit fair, you will realize that the fruit will be marketed exclusively of common fruit trees species. If you find a small barrack at the fair, with farmer (usually collectors native fruits) is possible you find some lesser known species, but will realize that are used as remedy, and that the own seller recommends that it is not an appropriate fruit for consumption but it is good to countless health problems, such as abdominal pain or other numerous applications.
Specifically in Manaus (capital of Amazonas state) If you visit any local market and ask about Murici you will find the fruit of the species Byrsonima crassifolia, but if you look for the result of any other species Byrsonima (in the region there are numerous species of Byrsonima), you will not find. And if you are interested in asking why only commercialize the fruit of B. crassifolia, they will say it is the only variety that is possible to consume, and other fruits "similar" with B. crassifolia are not edible_. And if you keep asking what the reason for why they think it is not edible, many will say they heard their parents or grandparents, and they never risked eating the fruits, and probably never will.
I know many people who work with collection of fruits in the woods and I had the opportunity to walk with these people in many expeditions, many called me crazy for trying various fruits they believe to be poisonous. I argued and often explained that it was not a poisonous fruit, and I knew the correct botanical identification, but it is not enough for them to believe, is a complex culture and very hard to be adjusted, I do not worry about that anymore. Unfortunately the identification studies do not include information concerning to the fruit is edible or not, that orients and generates the idea that they are unfit for human consumption.
It's incredible the lack of knowledge of mankind about the flora of our planet, there are countless researchers around the few remaining forests on the surface of the planet, always publish studies but in recent times hardly publish on new species. Today there is generally no more students who are interested in the area of taxonomy, and only great teachers of the area are retired or died. There is no more incentive to masters or doctoral students entering studies in the area of taxonomy, today other study areas of botany has much more visibility. That is anyone discovers new species these days, and I'm sure there are countless species that have never been identified, many disappeared before being discovered, as many already disappeared and we will never know the existence.
I do not like being tragic or pessimistic, but it is a great loss to humanity to pay much attention to other areas of science, and so little attention to the flora of our planet. It is understandable that the studies that are made today are to improve our knowledge on species that have been discovered, but do not care about the thousands of unknown species that are being decimated. Knife and a search will find that almost every species we know today have been identified for many years ago, and incredibly by a small number of researchers, in the years after the work was done aimed only sort and group these species. It is interesting to know the work of Carl Friedrich Philipp von Martius, after the knowledge of the work of this illustrious researcher can better understand that almost nothing is done today. My concern is that if we are living in the next 50 years we will witness the announcement of the extinction of a daunting number of fauna and flora species.
Best regards,

Vitor

It's like we are Aliens on this planet earth....most don't even know or care to know what's growing right outside the window.

Dada

• Ecuador
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2016, 08:13:52 AM »
Hi Vitor,
I send u several emails. Can u please reply?

Thanks,
Dada

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 23, 2016, 10:04:56 PM »
Hi friends.
Some new species available.

Best regards,

Vitor

Grapebush

• Portugal, Madeira Island, Funchal, 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 15, 2016, 06:45:27 PM »
Hi Vítor, the seeds you sent me are already planted!
Everything was in perfect shape, and super well packed!
Thank you very much for the extra seeds!
We will surely do business again.
Life is all about learning, but sometimes, the more you learn, the less you seem to know...

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2016, 09:29:20 AM »
PM sent  ;)

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2016, 04:31:47 AM »
Hi vitor, msg me mate ☺.

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: Available seeds of rare species. **June 2016**
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2016, 02:19:45 AM »
Hi friends.
Many new species available.

Best regards,

Vitor

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2016, 05:36:43 PM »
You have done it again Vitor.I wonder how similar your first large Annona is to pond apple? I wonder also is the Rubus are tropical and are the E. calycina wild collected and of good taste?
The failed rainy season here from January to April with much higher than usual temperatures meant many trees failed to fruit in cultivation and in the wild. The dry season also has been strange with much more rain than usual.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2016, 06:55:59 PM »
Did you mean patrisii or calycina mike? You got me goin, I cant find calycina for sale.
Email sent also vitor.

Ataman

• I'm fruit lover. I try to grow every type of fruit
    • Hungary, Zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2016, 10:46:59 AM »
The species Psidium sp. Goiaba anã do campo exactly Psidium salutare. This guava relative occurs from Argentina to Caribbean in open savannas, grasslands and rocky hills up to 1000 m.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 27, 2016, 05:17:32 AM »
Yes Don my mistake.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 27, 2016, 08:16:32 AM »
You have it yet?  Any good.

akanonui

• zone 6b, Southeast Michigan. But I have a greenhouse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 27, 2016, 12:54:44 PM »
Do you have access to any of these plants...?

http://www.nodeoito.com/11-frutas-do-cerrado-que-todo-brasileiro-deveria-conhecer/

Especially the Mama-cadela and/or the Pera do campo

Mike T

• Zone 12a
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 28, 2016, 04:56:00 AM »
Don I have neither. Vitor needs a pat on the back as many of these species are threatened through clearing and disturbance of their habitats. Spreading them around is kind of like a genetic insurance policy for a few plants that may prove useful in the future.

Don

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 28, 2016, 09:25:38 AM »
That is true mike, I have got a fair wad of the eugenias he has offered. Not phased by eating qualities as a preference for my selections as i collect them all. Just wondered if you had tried them yet. Took me ages to get patrissii. Biggest is about 10" tall. Cant wait to try it, the fruit look very tempting.

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2016, 11:37:03 PM »
Hi friends.
New species available.

Best regards,

Vitor

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Available seeds of rare species. **July 2016**
« Reply #223 on: July 05, 2016, 01:14:11 AM »
Vitor, does Manilkara maxima fruits fall when ripe by any chance? Also, do you know if this species can tolerate few months of dry season?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 03:48:47 AM by DurianLover »

Don

• View Profile
Re: Available seeds of rare species. **July 2016**
« Reply #224 on: July 05, 2016, 09:02:47 AM »
Hi Vitor emails sent. Regards

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk