Author Topic: Available seeds of rare species. **July 2017**  (Read 95177 times)

vitiga

• FRANCE / NEW CALEDONIA
    • View Profile
Re: Available seeds of rare species of the Atlantic forest.*New Species*
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2015, 07:07:11 AM »
I have ordered many seeds from Vitor earlier in January and they all arrived in great condition although they had to be sent to France first during winter time and then re sent to New Caledonia where I live ( took more than a month to arrive ). However the germination rate is just impressive and more than 80% already germinated. One of my best order for years ! Thanks to Vitor I have added more than 20 new fruit species to my collection ! great and rare species ! I could not find anywhere else ! Just perfect and I highly recommend Vitor ! ++++++++ What is sure is that I will order as many new species he will offer me in the future ! Fruit lover from Hawaii is also a really good source with great germination rate ! They are the two best sources I have found so far ! Thank you Vitor !
Le Jardin aux Mille Fruits
La Coulée, New Caledonia

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
Re: Available seeds of rare species of the Amazon forest. **March 2015**
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2015, 10:17:13 PM »
Hi friends.
New species available.
Best regards,

Vitor (Rare Species Amazon)

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2015, 01:49:39 PM »
Hi Vitor, Duguetia stelechantha is sweet and soft inside? Did you taste personally?

Do you still have seeds available?

best regards,

Giampaolo

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2015, 05:15:35 PM »
Hi Vitor, Duguetia stelechantha is sweet and soft inside? Did you taste personally?

best regards,

Giampaolo

Hi Giampaolo.
I will try to describe the taste of D. stelechantha. The smell of the ripe fruit is nice. The flavor is sweet and I Savor a slight astringency (similar to Eugenia uniflora species), I can not compare it with any flavor of a common species. Compared with other Duguetias I experienced, for example D. lanceolata (which has very similar to the carrot flavor -. Daucus carota subsp sativus), D. stelechantha tastes better, but honestly can not be said to be the exceptional flavor. Other important factor is the personal taste questioned some people who have experienced the fruit, around 3 friends and all said just tasty and good. It is interesting that the fruit has a very good amount of pulp, I believe have potential for the production of jams and sweets.
Another very important factor is that the tree of D. stelechantha has a unique beauty. The arrangement of fruits in the trunk, as the bloom are of singular interest for ornamental use.
If you are looking for species with excellent flavor I can indicate species Lacunaria, many species of Sapotaceae, Pourouma and many others. Fortunately we still have a chance to meet new fruits, and being able to uncover a little more immense and little-known universe of the plants.
In the next days it is possible that new species will be available.
Best regards,

Vitor

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2015, 07:47:28 PM »
I'm wondering if you can recommend any of these species for growing in contianers?

I wonder which of these are small trees?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2015, 02:07:02 AM »
I'm wondering if you can recommend any of these species for growing in contianers?

Hi friend.
Unfortunately in the Amazon region there are few species that have small trees characteristics. In fact the size or size of the tree is not an assumption that states that have growing opportunities in pots or containers. In the cerrado plants have a few centimeters, and have huge roots that prevent growing in pots.
Few species native to the amazon that are grown, s list of species believe that only Couepia longipendula is grown in very few fruit orchards in the region. The other species are little known and sparsely found in the forest. I'm very interested to know how the growth habit of these species in cultivation. In the forest the light penetration is very low and the competition for sun makes the trees are very high, and have a small canopies structure.
Thus only when one of these trees die, and by consequence drops other trees forming a clearing, is that it opens opportunity to grow other trees. It's a close race.
Another interesting factor is that most species have superficial roots, no deep root. Due to the Amazonian soil is one of poorest in the world, surface roots facilitate the absorption of nutrients derived almost exclusively of fallen leaves. It is a quick and constant cycling. Many people think that the Amazon forest is lush and in consequence should have a rich soil. A great illusion. Exist today large deforested areas where they do not grow any vegetation, a dead land. In the past there was incentive for plantations, but none succeeded. Neither for cattle raising is interesting. It is depressing, and deforestation continues at full speed.
Honestly I can not say that any of these species has potential for growing in pots. From experience I know that some genres of Myrtaceas has easy adaptation to this type of cultivation. Unfortunately this year I found only a single species of Myrtacea with fruit. I'm working to try to identify the species, but so far no success. I believe it is a Eugenia. This species I believe may have potential for growing in pots. The specimen was found that the trunk of about 12 centimeters diameter and about 20 meters in height.
Thus we can only try to cultivate these species, and see what result in the future. Perhaps some of these species can be adapted. We are being pioneers in the cultivation of these species.
Best regards,

Vitor

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2015, 08:15:26 AM »

Adam, at least you can try what I do currently: make a bonsai of every fruit tree I like!  ;D

Just do it! I never found a tree I couldn't make a bonsai..

cheers,

Giampaolo

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2015, 09:27:06 AM »

Adam, at least you can try what I do currently: make a bonsai of every fruit tree I like!  ;D

cheers,

Giampaolo

I also have limited greenhouse area and try limit my "tall in nature" plants by pruning and pot size.
It seems still OK.
Giampaulo,
I would appreciate any of your recommendations of "semi-bonsai" making.
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2015, 10:08:10 AM »

cheers,

Giampaolo

I also have limited greenhouse area and try limit my "tall in nature" plants by pruning and pot size.
It seems still OK.
Giampaulo,
I would appreciate any of your recommendations of "semi-bonsai" making.

Great Alex!

just ask..

By the way, maybe I found someone who could find Duguetia confinis... are you still interested?

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »
D. confinis you say?
- David Antonio Garcia

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2015, 01:21:47 PM »
thanks for the excellent info Vitor.

you are a great forum member, and rare seed supplier!

Hi friend.
Unfortunately in the Amazon region there are few species that have small trees characteristics. In fact the size or size of the tree is not an assumption that states that have growing opportunities in pots or containers. In the cerrado plants have a few centimeters, and have huge roots that prevent growing in pots.
Few species native to the amazon that are grown, s list of species believe that only Couepia longipendula is grown in very few fruit orchards in the region. The other species are little known and sparsely found in the forest. I'm very interested to know how the growth habit of these species in cultivation. In the forest the light penetration is very low and the competition for sun makes the trees are very high, and have a small canopies structure.
Thus only when one of these trees die, and by consequence drops other trees forming a clearing, is that it opens opportunity to grow other trees. It's a close race.
Another interesting factor is that most species have superficial roots, no deep root. Due to the Amazonian soil is one of poorest in the world, surface roots facilitate the absorption of nutrients derived almost exclusively of fallen leaves. It is a quick and constant cycling. Many people think that the Amazon forest is lush and in consequence should have a rich soil. A great illusion. Exist today large deforested areas where they do not grow any vegetation, a dead land. In the past there was incentive for plantations, but none succeeded. Neither for cattle raising is interesting. It is depressing, and deforestation continues at full speed.
Honestly I can not say that any of these species has potential for growing in pots. From experience I know that some genres of Myrtaceas has easy adaptation to this type of cultivation. Unfortunately this year I found only a single species of Myrtacea with fruit. I'm working to try to identify the species, but so far no success. I believe it is a Eugenia. This species I believe may have potential for growing in pots. The specimen was found that the trunk of about 12 centimeters diameter and about 20 meters in height.
Thus we can only try to cultivate these species, and see what result in the future. Perhaps some of these species can be adapted. We are being pioneers in the cultivation of these species.
Best regards,

Vitor
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2015, 03:08:20 PM »

cheers,

Giampaolo
And bonsai come in many size classes
Large bonsai classes are massive look:
Common name   Size class   Tree Height
Imperial bonsai   Eight-handed   60–80 in (152–203 cm)
Hachi-uye   Six-handed   40–60 in (102–152 cm)
Dai   Four-handed   30–48 in (76–122 cm)
Omono   Four-handed   30–48 in (76–122 cm)
Those are some big bonsai!
Some random Web examples
Hachi-uye

Imperial

Vitors assertions about shallow roots bodes even better for bonsai cultivation!

I'm so interested in the strychnos but since it is a vine I hold out little hope even of giant bonsai though some vines do bonsai well definitely not all :'(

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 03:13:34 PM by stuartdaly88 »
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

AlexRF

• Subarctic Member
  • Alex
    • Russia, Saint-Petersburg, warmhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2015, 04:17:11 PM »
Giampaolo,
I still and always interested in D. c.

Stuart,
many thanks for Bonsai classification info.
YES WE SCAN NEW TROPICAL FRUITS

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2015, 04:37:38 PM »
Giampaolo,

Stuart,
No problem:)
I'm convinced this is the was hyper tropicals can actually be grown in subtropical climates:)
Imagine how beautiful a durian as an imperial Wight hand bonsai!! I'm almost positive in Asia somewhere there is a durian bonsai he he
These Amazon plants sound better than most on the root front but the long straight branchless boles is the challenge. There are a few nursery chems used for keeping plants short and things like 6 Benzylaminopurrine for forcing branching but true art of bonsai.is also to keep natural shape of the tree, i wish some of the Japanese masters could try their hand at rare species like these:)
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2015, 05:52:49 PM »
essentially this is what I'm doing, except i'm trying to let the roots get as big as possible...it's a catch 22, because I want the tree to stay small, but to have the largest root system possible.

It's hard to get decent fruit production when you have to keep pruning the roots and restricting the pot size from increasing.

cheers,

Giampaolo
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2015, 07:06:55 PM »

cheers,

Giampaolo
And bonsai come in many size classes
Large bonsai classes are massive look:
Common name   Size class   Tree Height
Imperial bonsai   Eight-handed   60–80 in (152–203 cm)
Hachi-uye   Six-handed   40–60 in (102–152 cm)
Dai   Four-handed   30–48 in (76–122 cm)
Omono   Four-handed   30–48 in (76–122 cm)
Those are some big bonsai!
Some random Web examples
Hachi-uye

Imperial

Vitors assertions about shallow roots bodes even better for bonsai cultivation!

I'm so interested in the strychnos but since it is a vine I hold out little hope even of giant bonsai though some vines do bonsai well definitely not all :'(

Stuart, you can make bonsai of almost everything, even doing "mame"! (the smallest one)
It depends only on your technics and species growth: usually trees with higher growt rate are more difficult to reduce leaves size but for the rest, flowering included, are the same of a big tree: 90% of my bonsai (all fruits) started producing fruit when reached adult size.
Obviously, less fruit and smaller than the normal trees, but for me, having not much space and living in place very far from tropics is amazing the result I got!

More of all: my old master use to say: is the bonsai that choose you and not the opposite.

Cheers,

Giampaolo

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2015, 07:12:54 PM »
essentially this is what I'm doing, except i'm trying to let the roots get as big as possible...it's a catch 22, because I want the tree to stay small, but to have the largest root system possible.

It's hard to get decent fruit production when you have to keep pruning the roots and restricting the pot size from increasing.

cheers,

Giampaolo

Adam, it's true: you can reduce the size finding a good balance of fruit production/tree size: I've seenmany people in Japan doing that very often.. It's important to give love to your plants and finding the right sun/manure/watering/timing for any specie.

Ciao,

Giampaolo

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2015, 07:24:32 PM »
Giampaolo,

Stuart,

Alex, got an email from fruit hunters in Cameroon and they say Duguetia Confinis maybe will be available starting from July. Let's wait, I'll keep you posted!

Cheers

Giampaolo

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2015, 08:01:49 AM »
Some seedling of the seeds I bought last year from Vitor, 90% germinated

Duguetia stelechantha

Tetragastris

Please, someone know if Tetragastris is dioic?

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:05:12 AM by RICBITAR »

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2015, 07:02:52 PM »
Some seedling of the seeds I bought last year from Vitor, 90% germinated

Duguetia stelechantha

Tetragastris

Please, someone know if Tetragastris is dioic?

Thanks

We stayed glad to hear that germination was good.
Tetragastris hostmanii, and T. panamensis are not dioecious species.
Best regards,

Vitor

Rare.Species.Amazon

• Brazil
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2015, 07:04:27 PM »
Hi friends.
New species were added.
Best regards,

Vitor

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2015, 09:33:06 AM »
Hi Vitor. You have a PM. ;)

Beni

• Indonesia Rare Fruit
  • Ngabang kabupaten Landak West Borneo
    • West Borneo, Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • beni_prasya@yahoo.co.id
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2015, 12:10:10 AM »

Bonsai is beautiful. Can i see your collection bonsai friend?really beautiful.
Thanks and Regard
Beni Java Fruit

Beni

• Indonesia Rare Fruit
  • Ngabang kabupaten Landak West Borneo
    • West Borneo, Indonesia
    • View Profile
    • beni_prasya@yahoo.co.id
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2015, 12:11:58 AM »

Bonsai is beautiful. Can i see your collection bonsai friend?really beautiful.

Sorry friend. I am wrong. I mistake send write. My write for tropical bonsai. Sorry Friend Ricbitar
Thanks and Regard
Beni Java Fruit

Tropical Fruit Bonsai

• Italy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2015, 04:19:48 AM »

best regards,

Giampaolo

Hi Giampaolo.
I will try to describe the taste of D. stelechantha. The smell of the ripe fruit is nice. The flavor is sweet and I Savor a slight astringency (similar to Eugenia uniflora species), I can not compare it with any flavor of a common species. Compared with other Duguetias I experienced, for example D. lanceolata (which has very similar to the carrot flavor -. Daucus carota subsp sativus), D. stelechantha tastes better, but honestly can not be said to be the exceptional flavor. Other important factor is the personal taste questioned some people who have experienced the fruit, around 3 friends and all said just tasty and good. It is interesting that the fruit has a very good amount of pulp, I believe have potential for the production of jams and sweets.
Another very important factor is that the tree of D. stelechantha has a unique beauty. The arrangement of fruits in the trunk, as the bloom are of singular interest for ornamental use.
If you are looking for species with excellent flavor I can indicate species Lacunaria, many species of Sapotaceae, Pourouma and many others. Fortunately we still have a chance to meet new fruits, and being able to uncover a little more immense and little-known universe of the plants.
In the next days it is possible that new species will be available.
Best regards,

Vitor

Thank you very much Vitor for your details, but for the moment I'm interested in collecting Annonaceae of a good flavour to be made bonsai. I have a particular search open about duguetia lepidota: it seems to be one of the best flavoured duguetias. Do you have any chance to find some seeds of it?

Cheers,

Giampaolo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk