Author Topic: What tropical fruits like constant moist soil? And which ones hate it?  (Read 3387 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
Hello all. I recently had my interest in SW (self watering containers) rekindled, and i am thinking of it as a viable option next year to put some of my tropicals in. However, i don't know if all tropicals would enjoy a steady supply of water. I have heard that citrus for example likes having periodic dry periods in between waterings. SO would it like a SWC?

So essentially, what plants would do well in this and what plants prefer a more staggered, varied water supply?

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
Re: What tropical fruits like constant moist soil? And which ones hate it?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »
So long as it's not outright waterlogged, banana likes it.  So does jabo.  Coffee does, but it may need a dry period to fruit.  Cape gooseberry probably, but they drink up the water so fast I can't guarantee it  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:38:01 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
Sapodilla do pretty well in damp conditions.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 04:15:28 PM »
Lychees love SWC from prior experience.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 02:28:43 AM »
myrtaceous plants are usually very tolerant of humid conditions but these are seasonal and don't really need something that fancy.

most tropicals are at least fairly tolerant but they do have the dry season.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 03:53:38 AM »
I think continuous soil moisture does not help any tropical species fruit earlier and withholding water to stress trees actually helps.This is the case for durian and even mangosteen and a variety of other species.Even in wet equatorial areas there are dry seasons (2 a year in many areas) and the onset of rain stimulates flowering and flushing.
I have decided to stress the daylights out of my sickly 7.5 feet Penang 88 durian that is almost 6 years old.

Here it is.

Bad pic but I saw today flower buds are forming.I am tempted to chop it back to 6 feet and keep it as a small fruiting durian tree.Durians like most tropical can be kept smaller than popular opinion would have it,and I digressed.

Many species can stand constant soil moisture but withholding and managing stress from a lack of water is also something to consider. Mangosteen and salaks by the way can stand wet swampy soils. 

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 06:25:53 AM »
Hello all. I recently had my interest in SW (self watering containers) rekindled, and i am thinking of it as a viable option next year to put some of my tropicals in. However, i don't know if all tropicals would enjoy a steady supply of water. I have heard that citrus for example likes having periodic dry periods in between waterings. SO would it like a SWC?

So essentially, what plants would do well in this and what plants prefer a more staggered, varied water supply?

There is a large number of Ugandan species which can take wet soils; of the ones I have been distributing previously are Aframomum spp. and Pseudospondias microcarpa...
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

greeny

• Germany,Hessen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 07:07:21 AM »
I have black sapote and theobroma cacao  in self watering containers. They like it .

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 08:34:09 AM »
I agree with Mike T but the fruit tree that does the best, aside from pachiras, is the sour carombola in a constantly wet site.
Peter

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 12:23:25 PM »
My Muntingia calabura loves, and probably needs (?), wet feet. It's about 15' tall, was in a large container with a saucer at the bottom. I always had to flood the container until the saucer was filled. Not even a day passed and the saucer was dry again, and the leaves started wilting. I flooded it again, leaves perked up. I now have the tree in the ground with daily watering. Seems pretty happy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk