Author Topic: Sun Protective Clothing - Lifespan  (Read 4285 times)

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
Sun Protective Clothing - Lifespan
« on: May 28, 2017, 01:50:30 PM »
If you are growing tropical fruit, odds are you are in an area with intense sunlight.  Some clothing has specific SPF ratings for sun exposure to minimize the risk of skin cancer.  Anyone know of the "lifespan" of the sun protection of such clothing?  The effects of washing the cloths has on the protective nature?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:08:09 PM by Mr. Clean »
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Sun Protective Clothing - Lifespan
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 09:57:02 PM »
I really have no idea on the answers to your questions, except that they are also really important to me too.

I recently got myself and kin some UV-Protection hats and they are great. I get kind'a a cooling effect from them whether it's sunshine or rain. I really love it much more than the straw hat I was using.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 01:15:35 AM »
Sorry, I have no idea as well but sun protection is important for all of us to be aware of. My coworker is a lifelong fisherman and has skin cancer. I personally use sun block but hate putting it on so I bought a hat that covers my head and is SPF rated.

Simon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 05:55:07 AM »
Where are you getting clothing with SPF ratings?
Oscar

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 08:45:03 AM »
They are available here locally like Ross, Marshalls, Target to name a few...but you can order them also like Amazon is one of several online stores you can get them from.

My husband wears them when he is fishing...it gets pretty brutal here starting around 9am in the summer.
https://www.amazon.com/Coolibar-Mens-Long-Sleeve-T-shirt/dp/B01IAX3XYI/ref=sr_1_19?m=A3DXF80JMZ0ZC4&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1496061684&sr=1-19

Some answers to your questions Mr Clean...
http://www.sunprotectionzone.com/SPF-UPF-and-sun-safety-facts.aspx
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:46:55 AM by puglvr1 »

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 09:01:41 AM »
I really have no idea on the answers to your questions, except that they are also really important to me too.

I recently got myself and kin some UV-Protection hats and they are great. I get kind'a a cooling effect from them whether it's sunshine or rain. I really love it much more than the straw hat I was using.

Could you tell more about the hats you found? Style? Where you got them? I'm looking for something to wear for an upcoming vacation.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 11:27:55 AM »

Could you tell more about the hats you found? Style? Where you got them? I'm looking for something to wear for an upcoming vacation.

Check out Sportmans Warehouse and Bass Pro Shops online.
- Rob

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 11:42:39 AM »
I have used Coolibar and Champion brand Vapor. They can be ordered off of Amazon. The Vapor long sleeve shirts are really cool and comfortable so far, even in the high heat. Coolibar also has a neck gaiter that helps cover the back of the neck - which is my most prone spot - and can be pulled up to cover part of face or over the ears. There is another brand called Kalily that has neck gaiter/bandanas that have more color and pattern options.

I use these for swimming in the ocean/snorkeling, as well as yardwork. Sunscreen has a lot of chemicals that often can cause cancer and hormone imbalances themselves, not to mention has to be constantly reapplied. Plus, sunscreen has been proven to be killing the local reefs. So since I live in a climate where one is exposed to harsh rays basically every time one steps outside, and we are surrounded by reefs and ocean, it is a time saver and probably better for personal health in the long run to wear these instead of applying sunscreen every few hours for life - especially given that I am someone who has very fair skin and burns within minutes (and have a weakened immune system that makes me especially susceptible to cancers). The long sleeve versions, as well as pants if you feel like buying those, have the added benefit of being cool while helping to keep off mosquitoes and other bugs.

A note that some of our beloved plants can help with the sun, both as a natural sunscreen (I haven't figured out a strong formula yet, but some of the oils are beneficial for basic SPF), and oils like Neem, CBD, and others [as well as baking soda] have been successful in treating skin cancers. There are people out there who rely only on that, and have self-reported cure/remission... but of course do diligent research to determine your own course of prevention and treatment. Not all skin cancers are the same, and not all individuals may respond exactly the same way to a particular treatment.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 02:38:48 PM »
I have a Adams extreme outdoor hat with neck protector what a great hat ... like 20 bucks on Amazon! And the sun protection does not wear off it's the fabric that creates the spf protection. I have shirts that I have had for 10 years and still wear them and they still protect me.... i had more cancer cut out of my skin then I care to remember
Joe

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 08:32:09 PM »
Products are available to wash in sun protection for your favorite or stylish garments.
http://www.sunguarduv.com/

Here is some more general info from the Australian Radiation protection people on sun protective clothing:
http://www.skincancer.org/publications/the-melanoma-letter/summer-2012-vol-30-no-2/clothing

I'm fair skinned and blond, grew up in Texas and the south, spent 12 years in the Caribbean. I sweat a lot and wear glasses so the sweat bothers me. For the last 30 years when I need head protection I wear a used cotton t-shirt tied corner to corner bandana style into a 'turban'. Once it gets saturated there is lots of cooling going on, and layers of sun protection. Even though the above link says a white cotton T-shirt is only spf 5 any redneck who shows you his "farmer's tan" below the T-shirt is almost complete protection.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 10:41:04 PM »

I recently bought another Adam's Headwear Extreme Condition Hat - UPF 45+  on Amazon.

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 11:25:37 PM »
Thanks for some good suggestions.

Dan

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 07:22:09 AM »

I recently bought another Adam's Headwear Extreme Condition Hat - UPF 45+  on Amazon.

Same hat I have!.... love it
Joe

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »
I bought this. Love it. Actually have 2, because I leave it in the shop, on the mower, on the polaris, by the front door. I should have them all over, so that as soon as I go out, I have one ready.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KR9VI7I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are convertible, but I wear them with all the flaps when working.

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 05:36:10 PM »
You can buy long sleeve spf shirts in fishing clothing shops and in surf shops. I paddleboard frequently so I have a supply bought in paddleboard shops. They are lightweight and breathe and are very comfortable. Costco sells good hats to protect the head and ears but the nose may need some block applied.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »

Costco has SPF rated hats for about $15 here in Florida.  Columbia Wear has SPF rated shirts, which can be mail ordered.

Most "big" sporting goods stores have SPF rated shirts, some have light weight pants.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 07:52:23 PM »

Costco has SPF rated hats for about $15 here in Florida.  Columbia Wear has SPF rated shirts, which can be mail ordered.

Most "big" sporting goods stores have SPF rated shirts, some have light weight pants.

Mark, TJ Max & Ross have them cheap i have sun shirts spf 50 that i have gotten at both places for under 10 bucks
Joe

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »
I got them at my local BJ's Store, so far I'm quite pleased with it, but now I'm keeping an eye out for one that protects the back area of neck against UV Light and bugs.

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Pan Dulce

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:18 PM »
Patagonia and Ex Officio put out the best SPF clothing at the lightest weights.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 07:48:16 AM »
Our local TV station did some tests on the special UV protective clothing and found about the same thing as Consumer reports did here, ordinary clothes with a tight weave protected almost the same as the far higher priced clothes. Unless you feel that you need a lightweight garment you can get plenty of protection already. I knew this intuitively because of the "Farmer's tan" which ends abruptly above the short sleeve t-shirts I've always worn.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/05/testing-sun-protective-clothing/index.htm

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 01:04:15 PM »
For golf... I prefer using Elixir golf arm sleeves over UV sun block cream.