Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Paw Paw questions.

(1/2) > >>

NewGen:
I'm very excited to try my hands at this, got a few questions:

[1] Is container planting even a feasible option?
[2] I've read that for some fruit trees, planting 2 or 3 in the same large hole is OK. How about for paw paw?
[3] My soil is clay, should I make a mound/raised bed?

Thanks!

Triloba Tracker:
Awesome!

I wish I had direct experience to be able to give you better advice. However, all I can do is offer what i've read or heard:

1) I have heard of folks, specifically in California, growing pawpaws in pots. I think most rules around growing trees in pots would apply to pawpaws. Namely, you might want some kind of root-pruning setup, either air-pruning or using a coating like Microkote. Also, pawpaws have a strong taproot and in nurseries are most commonly grown in 14-inch deep pots (though some like Forest Keeling use air-pruning pots for a shallow taproot). Just something to be aware of. Hale and Hines nursery here in Tennessee sells really really big containerized pawpaws, and I believe theirs fruit with no problems. However, pawpaws are generally not mentioned in context of container growing.

2) I think you would be fine to plant 2 in a large hole. I have read references to this with pawpaws. In the wild, they grow in pretty dense patches.

3) I have been advised that mounds are not ideal for pawpaws, but who knows. As for clay, most sources say pawpaws like a looser soil with lots of organic matter (don't amend the planting hole of course). But that's probably just something that gets copied and pasted. I have some clay (not sure how it would rank on a clay "scale") and the trees i planted a few months ago seem ok. Of course, it's very early.

Not a lot of authoritative info there but maybe something to chew on. Good luck!

NewGen:
Thanks Triloba Tracker,
Much appreciated!

Triloba Tracker:

--- Quote from: NewGen on June 19, 2018, 12:28:25 PM ---Thanks Triloba Tracker,
Much appreciated!

--- End quote ---

Sure thing! 2 cents, worth every bit of what you paid fer 'em.

I would say of course, one of your issues in Zone 10 may be chill hours. If memory serves, most sources say 400 hours minimum for pawpaw.
I'm not convinced the tree itself needs it, but for fruit it probably does.

NewGen:
Triloba Tracker,

I looked at the chill hour chart here:
http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/Weather_Services/chilling_accumulation_models/Chill_Calculators/

My area (Kern County) has above 800. I'm more worried about the hot dry wind. I'll plant them in a sheltered area.

Thanks,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version