Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Toona sinensis

(1/3) > >>

shaneatwell:
Came across this by accident cruising Craigslist farm and garden. Sounds like a great green. I see a couple posts here that mention it in passing. Would love to hear more about it. How does it taste? Can it survive in southern California? Is it invasive?

Beautiful tree.

fyliu:
I think the young shoots in spring is what people eat. I got one plant from a friend but it's not done very well last year and died back to the ground during a freeze that also took out all the sweet potato leaves. It did survive and came back this year. Hopefully it will become established in the ground so I can try it later. It doesn't seem invasive to me yet.

shaneatwell:
Thanks Fang.

Guy with his office across from mine used to cook it regularly. He says its ok, but hasn't really missed it since he moved here. Good enough for me. I love the color, but i guess it doesn't really show without cold winters.

SeaWalnut:
Forget about the color and the ornamental value because the taste alone its worth trying it.People say it smells like onions but to me it smalls like roasted beans with onion and pepper.Basically smells like a complex cooked food and i think that even people that dont like greens would like toona.

All the fruit:
Made some toona scramble last week and we all agreed that its not realy bad but also nothing special. What did i do wrong?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version