Citrus > Citrus General Discussion

Help me fix my mandarin

(1/1)

AndrewAZ:
This branch is what my tree looks like all over.  Curling leaves, light green leaves and some yellowing.  It looked great in spring, but, it had also just been planted.  I have given it AZ best citrus fertilizer and Epsom salts and they marginally improved the appearance.  It is well watered.  Appreciate any and all help!!!

SoCal2warm:
It's probably still young, the root system hasn't had a chance to get fully established yet.

Try to keep the soil moist, but allow a time every 5 days or so where the soil is allowed to dry out. Not completely dry, but not too moist.

It's possible you might have stressed the roots with too much fertilizer or too much water, which in any case can be a difficult thing because the plant needs a lot of water when the temperatures are very hot and it's in the sun (and you live in a desert with drier air so that doesn't help).

Another little fact you may not know, mandarins are (in general) not as tolerant to heat and blazing sun as oranges and grapefruits are. That may be a small factor as well. And it's probably not a huge difference.

With the heat wave you've been having, I wouldn't be surprised the leaves don't look the best.
If it's still very hot (commonly above 87 degrees) and you really wanted to go to extreme lengths you could put a shade cloth covering over it for the next month, reducing evaporation loss and hopefully encouraging new leaflets to grow. But I think the trouble of doing that would probably not be justified at this point.

Millet:
I agree with SC2W, in that much of your tree's problem is Arizona's extra hot sun, and that it is a young tree. Try to help shade the tree for a while,  It is now the middle of August and temperatures should start to lower.  The tree also looks under fertilized.  What is the fertilizer formula and what trace minerals does the fertilizer you used have? It should be written on the bag. How old is the tree, (how long has it been in the ground)  2 year old in ground citrus trees are fertilized 5 times a growing season, 3 year old citrus trees 4 time a season, and 4 year old trees and older 3 times a season.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version