Author Topic: Staggered Blooming/Secondary blooming/Late Blooming  (Read 8832 times)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Staggered Blooming/Secondary blooming/Late Blooming
« on: March 06, 2015, 01:03:53 PM »
I am not sure if this year is particularly unusual in the mango blooming world, or if I am just more acutely aware of the mango blooming this season, but it seems that we have an unusual blooming cycle this year. I have many trees that are doing a secondary bloom and one, Rosigold that is in a tertiary bloom cycle. It is not uncommon for some trees, especially SE Asian cultivars, to do this.  It is also not unusual for Indian cultivars, like Carrie, to do this when the first blooming sets little or no fruit.  This year, there seems to be many fruits set and still there is a re-bloom.  There are also a few cultivars that haven't begun to bloom until this week.  Ivory at my house is blooming for the first time in March when it has always been a February bloomer.

This is a very good thing for a nice, long mango season.  I am wondering what others are experiencing.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:02:49 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Staggered Blooming/Secondary blooming/Late Blooming
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 01:15:25 PM »
My NDM, set really heavily as did my San Felipe (relative to size) and both are pushing second blooms. I have to check the Raypoza, to see if it's also doing the same
- David Antonio Garcia

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 01:17:21 PM »
It sure has been an unusual year. At my place Carrie and Lemon Meringue have bloomed thrice this year, the third bloom after the cold spell we had. Kesar, Mallika, Baileys Marvel, Ugly Betty and Nam Doc Mai #4  are all holding little mangoes from the first bloom and blooming again.  I was hoping for growth on my Angie that has been in the ground only a few weeks, but that is flowering as well; I intend to prune it by the end of the month to induce vegetative growth.

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 01:31:11 PM »
I am not sure if this year is particularly unusual in the mango blooming world, or if I am just more acutely aware of the mango blooming this season, but it seems that we have an unusual blooming cycle this year. I have many trees that are doing a secondary bloom and one, Rosigold that is in a tertiary bloom cycle. It is not uncommon for trees (especially SE Asian cultivars to do this.  It is also not unusual for Indian cultivars, like Carrie, to do this when the first blooming sets little or no fruit.  This year, there seems to be many fruits set and still there is a re-bloom.  There are also a few cultivars that haven't begun to bloom until this week.  Ivory at my house is blooming for the first time in March when it has always been a February bloomer.

This is a very good thing for a nice, long mango season.  I am wondering what others are experiencing.

For me..the exact same thing and also for several others I know.

Maybe the early cold in November and then our first decent winter in years (which has now abruptly ended *sigh*) had an impact?

This is shaping up to be a great mango season in S.FL
always longing for a JA Julie

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
Same in my yard. Light bloom initially followed by most everything coming alive with the recent cold spell.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »
I have no complaints. I see multiple blooms. Looks like I will get Pina Colada mangoes and ones from a seedling tree for the first time. Largest second bloom compared to a pathetic first bloom is on my Philippine mango tree (a Zill variety)

About the seedling tree--- If small one inch mangoes are tinted red on one half does this mean that the mature fruit will have red colors in it?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:54:52 PM by zands »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 01:53:45 PM »
Same here.

Lemon Zest: Large fruit set with the first blooms, now producing secondary blooms on some branches.

Nam Doc Mai #4: One lemon-sized mango from an early single bloom. A bunch of grape-sized mangoes from a large second set of blooms. It is now producing tertiary blooms on some branches.

Carrie: A couple of grape sized mangoes from first blooms. Now producing more and larger, vigorous blooms.

Valencia Pride: Some branches bloomed and now have lots of large-pea to grape sized mangoes and now producing more blooms on other branches.

Younger Home-grafted Nam Doc Mai #4: Producing it's first blooms.

Coconut Cream: Some grape-sized mangoes from initial bloom. No producing a second set of blooms on some branches.

Glenn: Vegetative growth. Probably due to do the good pruning I did during the summer of last year. Oh well, I'm still going to have ALOT more mangoes than last year so I'm not upset. :)
Alexi

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 02:01:50 PM »
Took some pics around the farms yesterday and figured this was a good thread to share. I agree with Harry that its looking like it could be a nice long season. These are from West Palm and Loxahatchee:

Early Edward fruit from the first  bloom in the fall. These should be ready sometime next month

Irwin, with decent fruit set:

Juliette:

Venus:

Thomas sapodilla. Got a 3 pound fruit off this tree last year. Delicious sap

Another Edward:

Duncan:

Mulgoba, with a good fruit set by its standards:

Duncan, fruit off the first bloom. Should mature in May.

Florigon , early fruit

Sweet Tart. An awesome tree

Florigon

A young Osteen

Another Florigon

Pina Colada. Two blooms and zero fruit set :( Hopefully 3 is the charm. This tree held 2 fruit to maturity last season:

San Felipe, with very good fruit set. Pic doesn't show it well:

Lemon Zest

Another Lemon Zest, flowering again:

Mekong, with good set off first bloom and another bloom underway:

Dot, with its typical fungus issues

More Florigon:

ST Maui, some fruit set off first bloom with a strong second bloom coming:

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 02:17:08 PM by Squam256 »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 02:09:05 PM »
Nice! Is the Thomas sapodilla grainy?
Alexi

StPeteMango

• Florida/St. Petersburg/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 02:35:01 PM »
My NDM is beginning a second spell of blooms after an early start in November. Most of the early blooms fell to powdery mildew; of 3 fruits that have reached nearly full size, one split after heavy rain last week.
Cogshall, Neelam and Graham promise to be productive, lot of little fruit. How many mature to full size remains to be seen.
Pickering doing well for a nearly 3 year old.
Mallika got a late start, but fair number of blooms, some of them showing tiny fruit.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »
Squam, has powdery mildew been a problem down at your groves?  I just noticed some on my Pickering and a very small amount on my NDM.  The NDM is pushing its second bloom right now.  My Glenn is also pushing blooms now too

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2015, 02:50:32 PM »
Same thing happening here Harry.  It does seem like its going to be an extended season.  3 distinct cold fronts followed by warm periods were likely the trigger.

My lychees woke up and are producing nice panicles after two seasons of nothingness.  Add in the fact that my more sensitive trees like breadfruit pulled through the winter in great shape.  It has been a great all around winter for fruit trees here in SFla.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2015, 02:51:42 PM »
Pina Colada. Two blooms and zero fruit set :( Hopefully 3 is the charm. This tree held 2 fruit to maturity last season:

My Pina Colada tree had its typical profuse bloom.  It did set a few fruits.  I would describe fruit set as sparse......but better than the previous years' no fruit set.  Mine is just now going into its secondary bloom.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 08:09:24 AM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 02:54:37 PM »
Same thing happening here Harry.  It does seem like its going to be an extended season.  3 distinct cold fronts followed by warm periods were likely the trigger.

My lychees woke up and are producing nice panicles after two seasons of nothingness.  Add in the fact that my more sensitive trees like breadfruit pulled through the winter in great shape.  It has been a great all around winter for fruit trees here in SFla.

Hey Clint....was thinking of you when I checked my Heidi mango this morning.  It has bloomed very sparingly....only on a couple of branches.  There is some fruit set from the first bloom but the tree is now pushing a major secondary bloom.  How is yours doing this year after, I believe if I remember correctly, it pitched a shut out last season?
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 03:30:40 PM »
It is not making a good showing.  There are a few panicles pushing now, but quite limited.  It seems to want to grow instead of produce as the vegetative push is exploding :(

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 04:56:11 PM »
Nice! Is the Thomas sapodilla grainy?

No, not really.

Squam, has powdery mildew been a problem down at your groves?  I just noticed some on my Pickering and a very small amount on my NDM.  The NDM is pushing its second bloom right now.  My Glenn is also pushing blooms now too

PM has been a big issue this year. I was able to keep it almost completely under control in Loxahatchee using sulfur but tested a different product in West Palm Beach that turned out to be pretty ineffective. Fortunately the PM did not impact the fruit set as negatively as it could have.

My Pina Colada tree had its typical profuse bloom.  I did set a few fruit.  I would describe fruit set as sparse......but better than the previous years' no fruit set.  Mine is just now going into its secondary bloom.

Ya, mine is now on its third. Very low expectations though especially with the humidity we've been having out west.

On the Heidi, I have a small one growing in West Palm that bloomed some and set fruit extremely well. Looks promising.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »
Harry (or really anyone) - what would you do with a Nam Doc Mai Seedling tree that is extremely
healthy/bushy and green but has refused to produce blooms both last year
and this year?  It's such a muscular-looking 6 foot tree, but I'm just not getting
any luck.  It bloomed and produced 6 fruit 2 years ago, and was planted about
3 years ago....

(the blossoms you see on the left are from another mango)

Gary

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »
Ivory at my house is blooming for the first time in March when it has always been a February bloomer.

Talk nicely too her or I will have to take a late trip to FL...

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 09:20:50 PM »
My Lemon Meringue had a good set and still holding lots of lemon size fruit right now. Seems to be dropping the small stragglers that are not keeping up, but atleast 100 mangoes on the tree right now and it is not a very old tree, just under 3 years old Zill. It is not or has nor shown any signs of a secondary bloom.  My Carrie did is very small so still on the fence if I will let it try and set fruit, but it shot a bunch of huge fruit spikes after that last front. My cogshall had a poor first bloom, set just a couple fruit, shot a few more bloom spikes, still waiting to see what sets of those, and then a third or delayed bloom that seems like fireworks errupted on the opposite side of the tree. Young tree also just over 2 years, will let it fruit, but will limit what it tries to carry if too many. I have a pickering I recently got, too young to fruit, but something is budding, not sure if blooms or vegetative.  My coconut cream did not do so hot, a few primary blooms that the cold seems to have messed up, and has a few new secondary blooms but has yet to set.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »
Harry (or really anyone) - what would you do with a Nam Doc Mai Seedling tree that is extremely
healthy/bushy and green but has refused to produce blooms both last year
and this year?  It's such a muscular-looking 6 foot tree, but I'm just not getting
any luck.  It bloomed and produced 6 fruit 2 years ago, and was planted about
3 years ago....

(the blossoms you see on the left are from another mango)

Gary

My Julie and another unknown seedling took longer than that and both were larger than yours. After being advised (chastised?) for being impatient with seedlings I just forgot about them and they both fruit heavily now.

On another note, my Madame Francis, Julie seedling and Glenn are all pushing their second blooms out. Looks like an extended season ahead. Some on my Glenn are nearly ping pong ball sized.

Regards,

Gary

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 11:48:23 PM »
Yes, Gary, I'd kind of forgotten about that...BUT....it did produce 6 fruit two years ago so I thought......

::)

The other Gary

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 06:42:03 AM »
Quote from: gnappi

My Julie and another unknown seedling took longer than that and both were larger than yours. After being advised (chastised?) for being impatient with seedlings I just forgot about them and they both fruit heavily now.

On another note, my Madame Francis, Julie seedling and Glenn are all pushing their second blooms out. Looks like an extended season ahead. Some on my Glenn are nearly ping pong ball sized.
just curious how are the Julie  seedling fruit
always longing for a JA Julie

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »
just curious how are the Julie  seedling fruit

Easily equal to the mother tree. When the fruit mature I'm going to bring fruit from both trees to some I respect for their opinions. So far other than its diminutive size the tree has few characteristics of the mother. It has no problems with diseases, the fruit are purple, small, and it's very productive.
Regards,

Gary

gnappi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2015, 07:53:42 AM »
Yes, Gary, I'd kind of forgotten about that...BUT....it did produce 6 fruit two years ago so I thought......

::)

The other Gary

Hey other Gary :-) Just so you know, my Julie acted the same two and three years ago.
Regards,

Gary

jc

• Treasure Coast, Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 08:09:12 AM »
This weather is BS!  Multiple successive days of rain, mist, fog is about as detrimental to mango bloom as it gets. I hate this weather. What ever happened to dry south florida winters?  My grass is still green... BS!👎
JC

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk