Author Topic: Golden Berries  (Read 3006 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Golden Berries
« on: March 02, 2016, 12:12:49 AM »
Golden Berries

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE8WbG0bzeI

“From South America, the berry was propagated in England and South Africa in the Cape of Good Hope, where the name cape gooseberry is thought to have originated. Soon after, Physalis peruviana (Golden Berry) was introduced to England, Australia, New Zealand, and many of the Pacific islands, like Hawaii where it is known as poha. Today it is widely cultivated in tropical, subtropical and even temperate areas, such as India, Thailand, northeastern China and parts of the U.S.”

“High in Antioxidants, Vitamin C and Carotenoids”

Tropical Fruit Forum; Topic: “Neglected, overlooked, and discarded as inferior fruit!!!
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=312.25
Hello Friends,
I would have to say "Poha" Berries, or Golden Berries, don't get the kind of attention they deserve. Very Easy to Grow, very prolific, and taste wonderful.  My Mom could eat as many as you could put in front of her, a very unique sweet and tangy taste and very healthy for you as well. A definite must in my book and they take up very little room and can be grown in a pot very easily. Poha Poha Poha !!!!”
Member: Jacob13

According to the above, 'Golden Berries' taste great, are great health wise, are easy to propagate, and grow just about anywhere except in extreme cold - Good enough for me! I can't wait to find it, plant a generous amount of seeds, then eat the fruit and take it from there.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Berries
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 01:20:25 AM »
Interesting post.

I Am on the fence with this fruit, as I have tried many that were not very good to my tastes and a few that were not bad. I was fortunate enough to sample the fruit from Jacob's bushes and they were definitely some of the best I have tried (I probably should have asked for a cutting).  A friend just gave me some plants that she says are excellent, and I shall see if they can convince me that Poha are worth growing.

Cheers,
Richard

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 03:15:32 AM »
I have a plant that I used to eat and root cuttings of. Until it attracted these beetles that eat holes in the leaves and the larvae are like black slug blobs.

The fruit is sweet and good in warm weather and can be tart and bitter in cold weather.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 04:56:34 AM »
Very vigorous plant but not to everyones taste.

They are abit tart but pleasantly so if you are a sour lover.
There is something in the flavour that definitely reminds me of a tomato though maybe thats just in my head?

great in pies etc too.
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 05:25:47 AM »
Hi! There are a great variability in Physalis peruviana plants in terms of flavour, more or less seedy and biger or smaller fruits. You should try to see a good plant and propagate it. If you don't like the flavour, you can dehidrate them... they turn more sweet.  ;)

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 06:12:33 AM »
Hi! There are a great variability in Physalis peruviana plants in terms of flavour, more or less seedy and biger or smaller fruits. You should try to see a good plant and propagate it. If you don't like the flavour, you can dehidrate them... they turn more sweet.  ;)

Do you dehydrate whole berries or cut into halves?
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 06:25:36 AM »

Hi! I didn't start yet to do it for me... i love them so i het them all! But i see them selled whole dryed...  :P

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2016, 07:26:03 AM »

Hi! I didn't start yet to do it for me... i love them so i het them all! But i see them selled whole dryed...  :P
Worth a try in my Biltong maker :D
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 02:44:02 AM »
What caught my attention about 'Golden Berries' was this video by the very into nutrition Health Ranger (Mike Adams), thank goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2yVeR8OfA&feature=youtu.be
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 03:42:55 AM »
What caught my attention about 'Golden Berries' was this video by the very into nutrition Health Ranger (Mike Adams), thank goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB2yVeR8OfA&feature=youtu.be
Yes that's what i say, and i think it's easy to make dehidrated physalis.  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk