Author Topic: Neglected, overlooked, and discarded as inferior fruit!!!  (Read 16880 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Neglected, overlooked, and discarded as inferior fruit!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 08:10:52 PM »
I completely agree Oscar - especially African fruits have been overlooked - and while many growers for example have a Bunchosia sp. in their collection, no one have ever tasted the numerous African fruits which are far superior in taste. Which remains me, another thread could be over-valuated fruits - Peanut Butter Fruit is surely one of them.!

I am with you on the Bunchosia being over rated........for me, of horticultural interest only. This falls into the category of edible but really not all that eatable.......for me, definitely not a taste sensation.

Harry

Harry,

Are you aware that there are more than one species of Bunchosia?

The one you probably tasted and didn't like is the inferior, B. armeniaca...most folks don't have the superior...B. argentea...the tree is smaller of B. argentea, and the fruits are sweeter with a higher pulp to seed ratio, and sweeter taste...

Also, B. armeniaca eaten when still orange and firm, is quite tasty, like a carrot/peanutbutter taste...I suggest  you try it one day!  This is the way I prefer to eat B. armeniaca, which when ripe, taste like a peanut butter green bean.

Are you aware of the both species, and the differences thereof?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »
Did you see the thread on Fruits of Africa? Soren says there that there are species of Bunchosia native to Africa that are also superior to the peanut butter fruit we have: mostly B. armeniaca. Even B. armeniaca i find pretty good if properly ripened.
Oscar
Oscar

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2012, 09:32:17 PM »
Had absolutely no idea.  I bought a "peanut butter fruit tree" as it was identified to me about 17 or so years ago.  I grew it, fruited it and eventually yanked it.  Thought the fruit was not very good to put it mildly.  And, I love peanut butter, fyi.  I will have to re-open my mind on trying these different species or better selections of the species I tried.  Thanks for letting me know. You live and learn......if you are willing to learn.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2012, 09:47:40 PM »

In the USA loquat is mostly treated as an ornamental plant. In Japan the fruits are highly valued and very many cultivars have been developed, including giant sized fruits and a seedless loquat.
Oscar

I picked from purely ornamental trees. Loquat is apple and pear related. We need some of the Nipponese varieties you mention.

[PDF]
LOQUAT: A SUBTROPICAL RELATIVE OF THE APPLE, PEAR AND ...
charlotte.ifas.ufl.edu/horticulture/newsarticles/Loquat.pdf
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
One really great subtropical fruit related to apples, pears, and peaches that grows well in our area is the Loquat. I see the fruit beginning to change color as we ...

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
Did you see the thread on Fruits of Africa? Soren says there that there are species of Bunchosia native to Africa that are also superior to the peanut butter fruit we have: mostly B. armeniaca. Even B. armeniaca i find pretty good if properly ripened.
Oscar

Oscar,

In turn, you have learned me something new! Me to Harry, Soren to you, you to me....

"Till forever on it goes, through the circle, fast and slow, I know, it can't stop I wonder!"
CCR

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 01:49:07 AM »
About neglected fruits that are worthwhile, there are hundreds, if not thousands. I think this is one reason we are all at it.  ;)  I think there are dozens, if not hundreds, that are also undiscovered fruits, ie totally unknown except by local inhabitants, not made it into any books, many even unnamed by botanists.
Oscar

I completely agree Oscar - especially African fruits have been overlooked - and while many growers for example have a Bunchosia sp. in their collection, no one have ever tasted the numerous African fruits which are far superior in taste. Which remains me, another thread could be over-valuated fruits - Peanut Butter Fruit is surely one of them.!

Soren, maybe i misunderstood you? But are you saying there are Bunchosia species in Africa which are better than Bunchosia armeniaca? Or are you saying in general that many fruits in Africa are better than the Bunchosia. If the first then what African species of Bunchosia are you talking about specifically?
Oscar
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 05:10:08 AM »
Did anyone mention Che? member of Moraceae family.

I tasted one at a place called "lightworks" nursery, in Englewood, FL, i think the guys name was Richard Parker...it was tasty, and fruiting profusely....I thought it was almost nicer than a mulberry, but I've only eaten a few, so I couldn't quite say which I enjoy more yet.

Certainly the Che is under estimated and under masticated.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2012, 01:54:59 AM »
Soren, maybe i misunderstood you? But are you saying there are Bunchosia species in Africa which are better than Bunchosia armeniaca? Or are you saying in general that many fruits in Africa are better than the Bunchosia. If the first then what African species of Bunchosia are you talking about specifically?
Oscar

Yes the last part; I meant to say that while most people know and perhaps even grow Bunchosia sp. (I believe mine is B. armeniaca), they are unaware of the many much better tasting African fruits (from different families), far superior in taste. If I had limited space to grow fruits, I would cut my Bunchosia anytime and replace with another fruittree - gladly an African species. It ranks close to Cucumis metuliferus in my book...
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 01:54:07 AM »
cecropia peltata is a fruit tree I'd add to this list!

Ive been eating more of these fruits, and now I'm a huge fan...the tree is extremely ornamental...and cuttings/airlayers can be maintained in a pot for years, at a manageable size of less than 8ft.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 02:12:11 AM »
Did anyone mention Che? member of Moraceae family.

I tasted one at a place called "lightworks" nursery, in Englewood, FL, i think the guys name was Richard Parker...it was tasty, and fruiting profusely....I thought it was almost nicer than a mulberry, but I've only eaten a few, so I couldn't quite say which I enjoy more yet.

Certainly the Che is under estimated and under masticated.

Che (Cudrania tricuspidata) can be real nice fruit. Doesn't taste anything like mulberry. To me tastes just like watermelon juice. Tried growing a few times here but doesn't seem to like the tropics.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 02:16:26 AM »
I remember Ed had an improved che that was thornless , self fertile, and amazing tasting...if my  memory serves me.

I need to graft some and find the scions asap!

Ive had inferior ones, and loved them
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 02:24:43 AM »
Would love some scion from Japan  ;D. Loquats are great spring time fruit, more attention should be given to the development of new varieties besides the standard Big Jim. I had a 'Vista White' loquat but unfortunately it got a bad case of blight and died.

Jim is still growing new varieties of loquat at his home. They are being selected for taste and number and size of seeds. I personally like white loquats over yellow ones. They tend to have more juice and acidity. I think Jim likes the white ones better too although his name is on a yellow one.

WhitH

• Vero Beach, Florida 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »
I've never grown one, but tree tomato aka tamarillo (Solanum betaceum - syn. Cyphomandra betacea)  is a fruit that I loved as a child. I spent a few years in Kenya and it was a treat to eat these out of hand. It's been a while, but I remember them being very tangy/zesty. More tasty than a tomato. I would love to get my hands on some fruit again.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/tree_tomato.html

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »
Whit they are pretty here and go feral on the atherton tableland, but i am too hot.Get big yellow and orange ones they are great.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Do people here consider natal plum an overlooked fruit? I still see them as a parking lot bush and don't feel like growing them but I hear they make good pies.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »
Do people here consider natal plum an overlooked fruit? I still see them as a parking lot bush and don't feel like growing them but I hear they make good pies.

They are great fruits, I would say they are overlooked for food usage.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
I've never grown one, but tree tomato aka tamarillo (Solanum betaceum - syn. Cyphomandra betacea)  is a fruit that I loved as a child. I spent a few years in Kenya and it was a treat to eat these out of hand. It's been a while, but I remember them being very tangy/zesty. More tasty than a tomato. I would love to get my hands on some fruit again.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/tree_tomato.html

Tree tomato not overlooked in New Zealand. Widely grown there and NZ also exports this fruit to USA and other countries. This is a fruit i really love and always have some trees growing. Widely adapted as i was able to grow them when i lived in San Diego and also can grow them here in tropical climate.
Oscar

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2014, 01:44:33 PM »
I remember Ed had an improved che that was thornless , self fertile, and amazing tasting...if my  memory serves me.

Any update on the superior che, Adam?

Anyone in Florida growing it?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2014, 03:16:51 PM »
NZ- I've never been able to eat prickly pears without getting several really annoying spines in my fingers and a couple also sometimes get into my tongue.

The trick is to lightly roast the fruit over a gas stove (about 15 secs). This will burn off the glochids, then wash after. If you have a small blow torch it would be even faster and easier. Also its said that using a hot knife (heated knife) prolongs the storage life of the Opuntia (prickly pear) fruit when harvesting.

I believe it has a lot to do with preparation most people would agree that your typical lemon is sour and has a lot of acid. yet there seems to be no problem with popularity. and not many would eat a lemon out of hand.

So true especially with a lot of cactus fruit. Optimally prickly pear is prepared as a puree, blended, or made into jams, wines, and desserts. Fresh eating is great as well if seeds do not offend.

Was it you who posted that youtube video with the blow torch Null?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2014, 03:54:46 PM »
Jeff..

u know what's crazy...I can't remember tasting che back in 2012.....

i thought I just tasted it for the first time this year at fruit and spice!!??

the fruits I had were very pretty (looked like lychee), but wasn't tasty enough for me to want to grow them....or to even eat a bunch of them.

I'm sure the superior varieties are better..and maybe fruits grown in a cooler climate would be better?

Any update on the superior che, Adam?

Anyone in Florida growing it?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 04:23:31 PM »
NZ- I've never been able to eat prickly pears without getting several really annoying spines in my fingers and a couple also sometimes get into my tongue.

The trick is to lightly roast the fruit over a gas stove (about 15 secs). This will burn off the glochids, then wash after. If you have a small blow torch it would be even faster and easier. Also its said that using a hot knife (heated knife) prolongs the storage life of the Opuntia (prickly pear) fruit when harvesting.

I believe it has a lot to do with preparation most people would agree that your typical lemon is sour and has a lot of acid. yet there seems to be no problem with popularity. and not many would eat a lemon out of hand.

So true especially with a lot of cactus fruit. Optimally prickly pear is prepared as a puree, blended, or made into jams, wines, and desserts. Fresh eating is great as well if seeds do not offend.

I don't believe I posted a youtube video, I have not tried the torch method myself for prickly pears. I had access to a gas stove or propane grill.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2014, 07:12:15 PM »

I don't believe I posted a youtube video, I have not tried the torch method myself for prickly pears. I had access to a gas stove or propane grill.

Just wondering....if you type in how to eat  a Prickly pear on youtube....you will see a guy using a  blowtorch to melt the needles.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk