Author Topic: Where to get best deal on 0-0-50  (Read 6775 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Where to get best deal on 0-0-50
« on: March 19, 2018, 09:06:26 PM »
I am interested in getting some Sulfate of Potash (Potassium Sulfate) for my mangoes.

I understand I want granular form and will use often but in small quantities.

Any recommendations on where to purchase some to get the best value.

Also, what quantity to buy, Amazon has 5 lb bags, 2 for $26 delivered.  I have a dozen or so mango trees.  Should I get a 50 lb bag or is 10 lb all I need?  Does it keep?

By the way, liking the discussion on the slow release fertilizer thread.  Didn't want to hijack with this question.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Where to get best deal on 0-0-50
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »
Best deal will always be your local nursery / grower supply. There is normally always a higher markup if you buy online (this seems strange, as it's the reverse with consumer items). 7springsfarm.com is a place to consider. As far as online supply shops goes, they are one of the cheapest. And, if you need a lot (ie, 10+ bags), they do freight, which is very reasonably priced.

As for rates, depends on the size of the mango tree.

http://www.7springsfarm.com/potassium-sulfate-granular-sop-0-0-50-sulfur-17-50-lb/

http://www.7springsfarm.com/potassium-sulfate-granular-sop-0-0-50-sulfur-17-10-lb-bag/

Jeff  :-)

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:46:14 PM »
0-0-50 is for fertigation and mostly sold as powder. It is totally water soluble and very little will not be retained in your soil. Buy 0-3-16 from Har or Truly Tropicals. That has slow release potassium and micros too.
Brandon

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 11:31:49 PM »
I don't know about 50, but I do buy potassium at a place called Naples Fertilizer.  I'm sure you have similar.  It's 0-0-22.  I only use it about 2-3 months before harvest to encourage sugar production.  Naples is a pretty small town, if I can find it, you can.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 02:13:46 AM »
I buy it from Southern Agriculture online. Can't remember what i paid since it's been a while. It is in "crushed" form and not powder btw. Chris
-Chris

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 08:35:29 AM »
I use K-mag from diamond R

0 0 22 with 15 magnesium and a little sulfur to boot

Fifty pound bag around 15 dollars

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 11:44:15 AM »
0 0 50 K in granular form so slow dissolve was great. It was 50lbs for about $26.  Unfortunately Universal Supply in Broward stopped carrying it.  I am going to phone them but last time we spoke it was one ton minimum order. Maybe I can get then down to half ton minimum order if other members want to buy in. Half ton would be 20 50lb bags to distribute. This 0 0 50 granular K is good for older trees that don't need much nitrogen because this only means faster growth so more pruning.
I am fairly sure it was from Diamond-K

I use K-mag from diamond R
0 0 22 with 15 magnesium and a little sulfur to boot

That is quick dissolve and for "fertigation" according to what I see on internet  http://www.7springsfarm.com/kmag-50-lb-sulpomag-diamond-k-brand-water-soluble-0-0-21-5/

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 12:02:49 PM »
The Brevard Rare Fruit Club will have it’s annual sale in April and will have 0 0 50 for sale at that time.

Those close to Melbourne should be able to get it then 

We have had it the past two seasons but I’ll check to make sure beforehand.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 12:24:48 PM »
True that 0-0-50 will dissolve very quickly here in south FL. That was Dr Richard Campbell's recommendation though -- I think he said to use 0-0-50 twice (or was it thrice?) per year.

I personally don't use it and rely on Har's 0-3-16 instead, as it is slow release and contains other vital nutrients. You generally don't want to feed your mango trees just potash, unless that happens to be the only nutrient lacking in your soil profile.

Those looking for a local source of 0-0-50 might want to try Helena Chemical. I've never asked them for it, but they may carry it.

K-Mag is nice in that it does contain magnesium to balance out the K. However, too much of it can lead to calcium deficiency. Key is to keep nutrients within a certain ratio.

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 12:37:05 PM »
Yes, Helena does have a granular. I think I paid $27 a 50lbs bag.  It is to supplement my 4 doses of 8-2-12. I plant on using it in between my scheduled application of the polymer coated stuff. I will combine it with manganese sulfate and mono-ammonium phosphate because these are the elements my soil test and tree deficiency symptoms show are low.  I doubt these will be around after 4 inches of rain, which could be only a couple of days.
Brandon

sildanani

• U.S.A OH, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
Not sure if this is available, but some hydroponics stores have the bulk bins where you can make your own custom fertilizer mix. I have not done this before, so I don't know much about the differences in pricing.
Anisha

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 03:16:18 PM »
I am interested in getting some Sulfate of Potash (Potassium Sulfate) for my mangoes.

I understand I want granular form and will use often but in small quantities.

Any recommendations on where to purchase some to get the best value.

Also, what quantity to buy, Amazon has 5 lb bags, 2 for $26 delivered.  I have a dozen or so mango trees.  Should I get a 50 lb bag or is 10 lb all I need?  Does it keep?

By the way, liking the discussion on the slow release fertilizer thread.  Didn't want to hijack with this question.

Search for local Crop Production Services store, they are the cheapest with best range or ferts and supplies. at least in CA that is my go to store.

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 09:46:31 AM »
I added gypsum for the first time along with the  k mag that I have used for a couple years now.   Pretty happy with the results so far.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 11:39:43 AM »
As far as Universal Supply in Broward  goes---  Universal Enterprises Supply Corp.  -they also have a website
Address: 2171 Blount Rd, Pompano Beach, FL 33069
 Phone: (954) 979-0600

They have 50lbs of 0 0 52 Potassium Sulfate. This is quick dissolve and used by "the palm tree guys" to quote them. $32.50 per bag and they should usually have this in stock
I asked about the granular version. He said he would get back to me on what the minimum order of bags would be.

If I cannot get a minimum order going with members here then I will buy their quick dissolve powder that is typically used in irrigation systems.  And just toss a little bit on top of my mango tree's mulch every two weeks. And definitely wear a respirator when doing so.

Amazon respirators ...a  must use if dealing with tree trimmer's mulch which puts out mold spores when you handle it.
https://www.amazon.com/respirator/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arespirator

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 11:44:22 AM »
Universal Enterprises Supply Corp in Pompano has 0-0-51 50lbs bags for around $30. I was there recently to get some Sequestrene 138 and their prices cannot be beat. Here is their website --> http://universalsupplycorp.com  - I always call them to make sure they have what I need in stock.

Paquicuba

• United States, FL, Weston, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »
As far as Universal Supply in Broward  goes---  Universal Enterprises Supply Corp.  -they also have a website

They have 50lbs of 0 0 52 Potassium Sulfate. This is quick dissolve and used by "the palm tree guys" to quote them. $32.50 per bag and they should usually have this in stock
I asked about the granular version. He said he would get back to me on what the minimum order of bags would be.

If I cannot get a minimum order going with members here then I will buy their quick dissolve powder that is typically used in irrigation systems.  And just toss a little bit on top of my mango tree's mulch every two weeks. And definitely wear a respirator when doing so.

Amazon respirators ...a  must use if dealing with tree trimmer's mulch which puts out mold spores when you handle it.
https://www.amazon.com/respirator/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Arespirator

Looks like I was typing while your post got published  ;)

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 11:46:53 AM »
Universal Enterprises Supply Corp in Pompano has 0-0-51 50lbs bags for around $30. I was there recently to get some Sequestrene 138 and their prices cannot be beat. Here is their website --> http://universalsupplycorp.com  - I always call them to make sure they have what I need in stock.
Granular or quick dissolving? Granular being little brownish balls the size of a wheat grain and the quick dissolve being a powder. And going by internet images a white powder.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:57:20 AM by zands »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 10:11:58 AM »
0 0 50 granular potassium sulfate ----
Universal Enterprises will have some in next week      42$ for 50lb bag.........I got two reserved   They carry this item on and off. Not regularly.
If interested call them today and add to their order

Universal Enterprises Supply----They are way in the back at this address. You must drive past two other buildings to get to Universal Supply

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2018, 10:07:21 PM »
Universal Enterprises will have some in next week      42$ for 50lb bag.........I got two reserved   They carry this item on and off. Not regularly.

Universal Enterprises Supply----They are way in the back at this address. You must drive past two other buildings to get to Universal Supply

Thanks zands. As an FYI to others, I called them around lunch time to reserve some bags. They said something along the lines of "I was able to order two bags for a guy yesterday, but we aren't getting any more than that in". He offered to take my number and attempt to add some additional bags to their main order, but I haven't heard back.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 10:37:24 PM »

Thanks zands. As an FYI to others, I called them around lunch time to reserve some bags. They said something along the lines of "I was able to order two bags for a guy yesterday, but we aren't getting any more than that in". He offered to take my number and attempt to add some additional bags to their main order, but I haven't heard back.

lulzzz  ......  I guess that via your post I have confirmation on my order/reservation. If you get down here a lot to pick it up.... you can call them early Monday (try Saturday but site claims they are closed) to try and get in. But really..... forum member guanabanas aka Har has a very good slow release potassium fertilizer he gets special made and he is in PB County where you are. You should PM him  You can find him here second down --must be logged in to view- http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=mlist;sort=real_name;start=1900

guanabanas potassium fert might also be at Truly Tropical in Del Ray where he is the majordomo.

zzzzz
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:47:19 PM by zands »

cbss_daviefl

• View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:31 PM »
Yes, buy the  0-3-16 plus micros from Har or Truly tropicals.

If you are dead set on 0-0-50, Helena chemicals,$26.50 a 50 lbs bag is what I paid. They sell it in a few different forms. Ask for the mini, which is granular.
Brandon

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2018, 05:43:52 PM »

If you are dead set on 0-0-50, Helena chemicals,$26.50 a 50 lbs bag is what I paid. They sell it in a few different forms. Ask for the mini, which is granular.

Thanks for the Helena reference. I finally got around to stopping by their Boynton Beach location and opening an account. They did not have the mini in-stock and couldn't source it from their other locations. I ended up with their "Greens Grade" shown below. It was $25.00/bag. How does the grain size compare to the mini?

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2018, 02:46:15 AM »

Thanks for the Helena reference. I finally got around to stopping by their Boynton Beach location and opening an account. They did not have the mini in-stock and couldn't source it from their other locations. I ended up with their "Greens Grade" shown below. It was $25.00/bag. How does the grain size compare to the mini?

Dang!  I got robbed at 38 dollars per bag at Universal....... That green grade might be slightly smaller than what I got. But sure looks granular meaning not quick dissolve which is white.......I would hold off on applying until early spring/ Like February first

Made by Vogel in Wisconsin. You can call them up got more info. To be applied with a spreader on greens like golf courses.... No it is not quick dissolve type of potassium sulfate for fertigation.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 02:54:35 AM by zands »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2018, 05:10:54 PM »
Best deal will always be your local nursery / grower supply. There is normally always a higher markup if you buy online (this seems strange, as it's the reverse with consumer items). 7springsfarm.com is a place to consider. As far as online supply shops goes, they are one of the cheapest. And, if you need a lot (ie, 10+ bags), they do freight, which is very reasonably priced.

As for rates, depends on the size of the mango tree.

http://www.7springsfarm.com/potassium-sulfate-granular-sop-0-0-50-sulfur-17-50-lb/

http://www.7springsfarm.com/potassium-sulfate-granular-sop-0-0-50-sulfur-17-10-lb-bag/

Jeff, higher markup online is due to outrageous shipping costs involved. I sell on Amazon and ebay and some items cost more to ship than they are actually worth.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2018, 10:45:11 AM »
Adding K alone can result in a Ca and Mg deficiency, depending on the soil. Richard Campbell recommends 0-0-50. However, he's growing on very (very) calcareous soil. You're much better off applying a full nutrient package, unless you happen to live in Homestead. One year, I gave a healthy dose of K to my mangoes (without Ca), and jelly seed was off the charts.

The higher price for online ag products I was referring to excludes shipping cost. Margin is simply a lot higher for online ag suppliers, as they don't really cater to large scale growers.

Helena is one of the best deals around if you're close enough to get it delivered.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk