Author Topic: Indian Mango season 2017 has begun!  (Read 20950 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Indian Mango season 2017 has begun!
« on: March 19, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
I'm a big fan of Indian Mangos and every year I eagerly wait for the announcement I get through email that Indian Mango season is almost upon us. According to the email I received, it should begin in about three weeks or around the week of April 11. The email said that the mangos are expected to ripen a week or two early this year. It also mentioned that there will be 3 US inspectors visiting India and Bangalore is a new province where Mangos will be harvested and shipped from.

There will be the usual suspects like Alphonso, Kesar, Chaunsa, White Chaunsa, Neelam, Mallika, Imam Passand, Langra, Dussehri, Ratol, Banganpalli along with some varieties I've yet to try like Rasalu, Sindhri Mancurad, Ratte Wala, Totapurri and Mulgova.

I believe I have read that reports out of Florida that Mulgova is an excellent tasting mango and I have definitely heard from my Indian friends that it is in fact a very excellent tasting fruit so hopefully the shipments will not disappoint.

Last year, the shipments of Kesar were absolutely amazing. The physical appearance of the fruit were blemish free and the internal qualities matched its appearance. Kesar was THE BEST Indian Mango last year in my opinion. It easily beat out Alphonso which was good but had internal breakdown issues and was not as sweet as the Kesar. The Alphonso may be one point higher than Kesar when comparing pure Indian Resin, Turpentine, flavor but Kesar wins out for overall taste.

The Kesars last year were in a league of its own with an excellent acid balance. Actually, it's not really acid balance as it was not Tart at all but there was something definitely there that the Alphonso did not have.

If you see Indian Mangos in the markets, please post here to notify the rest of us Indian Mango fanatics and please post pictures and flavor descriptions if possible. The Indian Mangos are supposed to start shipping in about three weeks but this is only if you pre ordered through one of the companies. For many of us waiting for Indian Mangos to show up in the local Indian Supermarkets, it can be a long ways off before we can satisfy our craving.

Simon
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:41:38 PM by simon_grow »

raimeiken

• Zone: 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Indian Mango season starts in about 3 weeks!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:04:39 PM »
where do you buy them from? and have you tried growing them from seed?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:20:14 PM »
The Florida Mulgoba is outstanding, but a different mango than the one found in India. It likely grew from the rootstock after the actual Mulgoba tree brought from India was killed back in a series of freezes.

clannewton

• Brevard County, Melbourne , FL 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:22:21 PM »
Does the Haden's heritage come from the Mulgoba?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:38:21 PM »
Does the Haden's heritage come from the Mulgoba?

Yes, Haden is a cross between Mulgoba and Turpentine. But not the Mulgoba found in India, a different Mulgoba.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:18:49 PM »
where do you buy them from? and have you tried growing them from seed?
You can pre order mangos from Mangozz.com but the quality can be hit or miss. I've had excellent and horrible mangos from them but the customer service was pretty good about refunds or replacement mangos. I order special varieties from them and prefer to pick up the more common varieties like Alphonso and Kesar from Miramar Cash and Carry. They also sell Pakistani mangos as well.

Simon

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:33:39 AM »
Simon - have you ever had a Bombay?  My tree is a fast grower and I should have at least a dozen or so
this year.  Last year it was outstanding, I mean really good.  Perhaps my desert climate is the key but it
was amazing....

Gary coming out of hibernation

FrankDrebinOfFruits

• Kauai, HI 12A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:58:20 AM »
I really want to find scions for Rasalu. My mother said that was her favorite growing up.

I am out of root stock right now though. :-[

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:15 AM »
Hey Gary, welcome back. Yes, I've had Bombay before, in fact, I sampled it at your place during one of the dessert mango tastings. I thought Bombay was really good but felt that Kesar was exceptional. I have a small graft of Kesar on my multigraft Manilla so I can bring you a scion next time I visit if you are interested.

I forgot to mention that the fruit/seeds from India are irradiated and they will not likely sprout, perhaps I was doing something wrong but I have 0 seedlings still alive from irradiated fruit. When irradiated seeds are soaked, they will swell a bit making it appear that they are growing but they eventually just stop. It could have been me so please let me know if anyone has any luck sprouting seeds that have been irradiated.

For my Indian Mango seedlings, I use seeds from locally grown Indian varieties like, Alphonso, Mallika, Bombay.

I have never tasted or even seen a Rasalu mango so I might try ordering a box this year. I'm so excited about this Mango season!!!

Simon

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:33:18 AM »
Really enjoying your posts, Simon. You have truly immersed yourself in the mango world.

If the mangoes shipped from India are irradiated, does that mean that they are not given the heat treatment that negatively impacts mangoes shipped from Mexico and Central America?

I suspect that my area in Florida does not have Indian stores that sell such a range of mangoes, but I'm going to look around.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 12:27:25 PM »
when is a good time to order kesar and alphonso? was there a difference in taste and quality depending time of year?

Charlie23

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 12:46:36 PM »
any of these indian varieties are ideal for container grown?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 01:15:23 PM »
any of these indian varieties are ideal for container grown?

From seed, no.

If grafted, the only one that may work with some extended success is Imam Pasand.
- Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »
Really enjoying your posts, Simon. You have truly immersed yourself in the mango world.

If the mangoes shipped from India are irradiated, does that mean that they are not given the heat treatment that negatively impacts mangoes shipped from Mexico and Central America?

I suspect that my area in Florida does not have Indian stores that sell such a range of mangoes, but I'm going to look around.

Thanks Mangomandan,

I believe it's either/or so if it's been irradiated, then it's not hot water treated but this is only my assumption. The Irradiation does not seem to affect the flavor at all, I can't really see how the flavor of last years Kesars can get any better. Delayed shipments definitely affect the quality of the fruit however. Sometimes a shipment will be delayed while it is waiting for inspection. This delay caused a shipment of Chaunsa and white Chaunsa to get over ripe last year or the year before.

Box turtle, the mid season Kesars were the best. The early ones were slightly less sweet and the last shipments of Kesars were a bit overripe.

Simon

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 03:37:27 PM »

Dan - try some of the Indian markets in Broward County.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 04:24:39 PM »

There is a large Indian supermarket called Patel's in the same outdoor mall as the Walmart at University and Oakland Park Blvd in Broward County Florida. To the left of Walmart and further away from University
https://www.yelp.com/biz/patel-brothers-sunrise?adjust_creative=bing&utm_campaign=yelp_feed&utm_medium=feed_v2&utm_source=bing

I never bother with imported Indian mangoes but I will take a look at Patel's this year.
I was at Patel's last week. Bought fresh turmeric root @$4/lb and planted some. Fresh ginger root is always low priced there. As low as 50¢  /lb last summer. Last time it was at $1.29.

Office Depot store was there previously.
btw  those Indian owned motels and hotels in America are mostly owned by Patels (last name). Patel is a caste or sub-caste in India

Yelp review from someone in Boca Raton---

Patel Brothers is the Publix equivalent of Indian foods. This franchise has been expanding rapidly and even though they are all the way in sunrise it is usually worth the drive.

They have all the different kinds of exotic stuff available along with a fresh selection of vegetables and fruits.
The most important distinction from other small Indian food stores is the organization, cleanliness and selection of different products available. Everything available is fresh and they rarely have something missing.

Today we needed three products that I was pretty sure would be difficult to find yet we were able to get all three at Patel Brothers.
If you need anything related to Indian food this is the place to visit. The staff is extremely cordial and helpful and they make sure that you get everything you are looking for.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:31:33 PM by zands »

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »
Simon,  lets share info here as Indian mangoes hit our shelves in local markets, this would alert all.

On side note, Kesar was the best mango I ever tasted, hands down! it beat Sweet Tart at its peak. Kesar can stay firm and wrinkle yet not turn mushy for 3 weeks on counter, then it maintains in refrigerator longer. I am hoping Kesar does well here in So Cal, if not where I live, it might do well in the Desert.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 05:00:25 PM »
Behl, I'll definitely post here as soon as I see them in the markets. I'll also post pictures, Brix and a taste report as they roll in.

Here's a teaser from last year. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20091.0

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »
Kesar Mango
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=2358.0

Jumbo Kesar
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=20763.msg255311#msg255311

Behl, I have Kesar grafted onto my multigraft and it's currently flowering so maybe we will be able to taste it when grown in San Diego. I only Grafted a small branch so it may not even hold any fruit but I'll definitely bring it to the tasting table.

Simon
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:13:43 PM by simon_grow »

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
Thanks ahead of time :) can't wait

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 08:39:04 PM »

There is a large Indian supermarket called Patel's in the same outdoor mall as the Walmart at University and Oakland Park Blvd in Broward County Florida. To the left of Walmart and further away from University
https://www.yelp.com/biz/patel-brothers-sunrise?adjust_creative=bing&utm_campaign=yelp_feed&utm_medium=feed_v2&utm_source=bing

I never bother with imported Indian mangoes but I will take a look at Patel's this year.
I was at Patel's last week. Bought fresh turmeric root @$4/lb and planted some. Fresh ginger root is always low priced there. As low as 50¢  /lb last summer. Last time it was at $1.29.

Office Depot store was there previously.
btw  those Indian owned motels and hotels in America are mostly owned by Patels (last name). Patel is a caste or sub-caste in India

Yelp review from someone in Boca Raton---

Patel Brothers is the Publix equivalent of Indian foods. This franchise has been expanding rapidly and even though they are all the way in sunrise it is usually worth the drive.

They have all the different kinds of exotic stuff available along with a fresh selection of vegetables and fruits.
The most important distinction from other small Indian food stores is the organization, cleanliness and selection of different products available. Everything available is fresh and they rarely have something missing.

Today we needed three products that I was pretty sure would be difficult to find yet we were able to get all three at Patel Brothers.
If you need anything related to Indian food this is the place to visit. The staff is extremely cordial and helpful and they make sure that you get everything you are looking for.

That is one place and I know they did have some Kesar either last year or the year before.

There are also some smaller Indian markets that have carried some Indian imports.  In addition to quality at harvest, the key is the care tbey are given and freshness.
- Rob

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 09:23:18 PM »
Simon thanks for your comments, I haven't tried a resin or turpentine mango here in Mexico where we're have very limited options, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it, on my 20 young mango collection most are Zill's, but have one Indian Jehengar because of your review of last year, now I'm definitely try to get Kesar, do you think Jehengar has also that resin flavor of Alphonso or Kesar?  Are they similar or way different? Thanks
El verde es vida!

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 10:18:52 PM »
Hey Raulglezruiz,

The Jehengar is an excellent sweet mango that has a bit if that classic Indian resin taste but that Indian resin taste is much more prominent in Alphonso and Kesar. The flavor profile of Kesar is such that even a person not accustomed to that strong Indian resin flavor could still enjoy this fruit. In fact, I brought several Kesars to my work and everyone that sampled the fruit said it was one of the best mangos they have ever tasted and then they asked me where they can purchase some fruit.

The Jehengar was excellent and has an unusually almost white or beige flesh color with a uniquely delicious undertone that is very difficult to put into words. It's almost like a guava type of savory umami, slightly resembling that unique taste I get from the Ice Cream mango that Maurice Kong introduced. I would definitely add Kesar to my collection if I didn't already have it. Actually, if you can get it, Jumbo Kesar is supposed to taste the same as Kesar except it is much larger.

Simon

Andrew

• Davie, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »
Another new variety of Indian mango that I’ve been hearing amazing reports on its top tier status is the Sonpari mango that’s an Alphonso × Baneshan cross. Unfortunately, it seems like only a couple of people have tasted one. I am curious to see how it compares to other previous Indian mango favorites like Kesar.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 11:42:04 PM »
The Florida grown Kesar I have had have not had the same resin component of the Alphonso I have had.  Much less intense/overpowering.

The Son Pari I have had here have had its own resin component but not strong piney in nature.   To me, it was different than all the Indian mangoes I have had.

I liked Son Pari better than Kesar.
- Rob