Author Topic: I'd like to plant Mango leaving it in pot  (Read 868 times)

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
I'd like to plant Mango leaving it in pot
« on: May 17, 2021, 09:27:42 AM »
Friend of mine said her Dad planted potted plants by cutting bottom half off pot, and plant it.
I'd love to try it with this mango which has almost doubled in size in less then 2 months.
Plus, i have too many compacted inches of non draining topsoil we used to grade area.  I'm thinking bottom of mango will be in original well-draining sandy soil.
Anyone use this method?  Thank you,

Ed

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Re: I'd like to plant Mango leaving it in pot
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 11:42:27 AM »
I can't imagine it wouldn't work given all the full grown trees i've seen in nurseries that have rooted out of neglected pots.
Shane

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 11:51:19 AM »
I’m using this method on my muntinga calabura because it’s planted next to concrete and I’ve read they have invasive roots. I also cut the ring around the top of the pot off, I didn’t want the ring to cause the pot to rise up (my common sense told me that may happen at least, not sure if it would or not) The tree is doing really good and the pot seems to be constricting it’s growth some. Also, the pot has never showed through the dirt, which is nice aesthetically. Peace, Nate
Nate

mango_kush

• Ft Lauderdale
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 12:47:07 PM »
This is how u grow all my fruit trees with a tap root, you can control the soil around the roots better.  I used 25 gallon plastic containers,cut out the bottom and bury them half way, it protects the trunk as well. 

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 02:23:39 PM »
Don't try this with avocado. A person recently complained the avocado had stopped growing. I noticed a ring of border stones had been installed about 2 feet out from the trunk and asked them to check and sure enough, the surface feeder roots had stopped at the ring of stones.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 04:53:25 PM »
Thanks all for input.
Can hair roots form from large roots out bottom?

Ed

fruitnut1944

• Alpine Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 06:12:02 PM »
I don't see any advantage to this method. One disadvantage could be root structure. Any circling roots especially in the upper part of the pot will be constricted choking off the tree. Plus anchorage will be reduced. The tree may lean. I'd rather spread out the roots or cut off circling ones if they can't be spread. I've heard quit a bit about mangos and issues with circling roots/ root structure.

If you have say 6 inches of poor soil on top of better soil I'd dig a big wide hole and mix those two layers together. Then plant the tree spreading out the roots as much as possible.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 06:15:10 PM by fruitnut1944 »

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 09:24:27 PM »
Well, i haven't decided yet.  I also don't want tap root & all circling around.  It's growing so fast, those roots must be too. 

I was thinking the fact it's growing so well as is, it would do fine growing out bottom as Shaneatwell said happens in nurseries.  I saw a tomato plant do it.  Grew to monster.  My parents house.

Mango kush, works for you.  Larger pot but still, tap roots do their thing either way right?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:46:06 PM by EddieF »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk