Author Topic: Bug ID  (Read 1722 times)

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Bug ID
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:27:17 PM »
I had some late blooming citrus trees this year. One several of the blooms, I noticed they had a dark inner circle next to the developing fruitlet. Upon closer inspection, I found that it was several insects (bugs) with their head at the bottom of the fruitlet and their tails pointing outward along with the petals. They looked like part of the flower.  I've done many google searches but have not found anything that looks like them. I did not think to take pictures.  Now I notice darkening around the bottom of the fruit, after bloom fall. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TooFarNorth

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
Re: Bug ID
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 08:38:07 PM »
I forgot to mention that they were black and skinny, and probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch long. I also found them in just starting to open blooms.

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:52:42 PM »
I know mealy bugs like to congregate in that area.  From your description, (pics would have been nice) the culprit is likely aphids and so treat accordingly.  A good dose of insecticidal soap should do it.  Just spray in the evening.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2018, 03:13:52 PM »
I have had aphids before, but these are much larger and move much faster when disturbed. I wish I had taken photos..

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »
Thrips?

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:42:52 PM »
Being old and decrepit, I can't seem to catch one of the little rascals to examine it closely. Thrips is what I was thinking, but pictures on google search don't quite look the same. They probably are thrips though. Thanks, Mike T. I'll keep trying to catch one.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:18:40 PM »
Q 2 % horticultural oil spray kills thrips and many other insects dead, dead, dead.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 02:03:22 PM »
OK. Looks like they are thrips, just not citrus thrips. I guess I need to break out the horticulture oil.

Thanks all,

TooFarNorth