Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183282 times)

Tiberivs

• Miami Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #675 on: August 21, 2019, 11:01:00 AM »
Does anyone have tips or advice on when to pick avocado. I have a Catalina avocado tree with fruit not sure on how to tell when they are ready.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 21, 2019, 12:32:22 PM »
Does anyone have tips or advice on when to pick avocado. I have a Catalina avocado tree with fruit not sure on how to tell when they are ready.
PIN says August-September for Catalina.  Why don't you pick one and see how it ripens?
John

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 22, 2019, 06:03:57 AM »
What kind of tecnic is this? Thank's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvD3qSsUg7U&t=164s

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 03, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
Bacon avocado tree and fruits…

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 03, 2019, 04:04:37 PM »
What kind of tecnic is this? Thank's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvD3qSsUg7U&t=164s
No really sure, seems to be some type of very aggressive tree girdling. Not clear what the object is.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Ryanavocaodo

• Yes, my user name is a typo.
    • USA, Southern California, Pasadena, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 06, 2019, 12:53:46 PM »
What's the story on Leavens Hass? Can't find anything on this....

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 10, 2019, 09:33:48 PM »
What's the story on Leavens Hass? Can't find anything on this....

It's one that Jack has been distributing from the originator on the California Central Coast.  Maybe Jack will chime in about it if he sees this.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 13, 2019, 07:10:41 PM »
I have a question for you Avocado experts.  Earlier this year (early Spring I believe it was), I transplanted three Avocado trees in my front yard in "raised beds."  These trees had been growing in large ~50-gal food grade barrel makeshift pots for 7 years or so.  They were heavily root bound, so the transplant was shocking and they dropped all flowers fruit through the process.  They seem to have recovered through the Summer, and we've had a very long summer here in the Sacramento valley.  Right now we're nearing middle of November with daily temps in the high 70's low 80's.  There's been little winter chill yet -- an extremely warm/mild Winter start to say the least.

The reason for my post and my question has to do with the first of three transplants, a Fuerte tree.  You can see it in the pics below.  I noticed this morning that the tree had started to set blooms on nearly all of its terminal buds, and this has me worried.  The tree has never bloomed in the Fall/Winter like this before.  I wonder if it is confused from the transplant and/or this inordinately warm Winter weather.  Does the tree think it's already Spring?  We did have a bit of a cooling trend a few weeks to a month back.

Whatever the case may be, ought I to pinch off these flowers, since the Winter will surely come sooner or later?  Is this common elsewhere in the state?  I was really looking forward to maybe getting a crop this next season (Starting with the flower in Spring '20).  I'm worried that the tree will confuse itself with this early flowering and fail to set more in 4-5 months after Winter ends.  The trees are getting full/100% southern exposure where they're at BTW.  Looking forward to some good advice.  Oh, the other two trees have yet to show any signs of premature flowering.  Thanks!

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 13, 2019, 08:01:56 PM »
Leavens Hass:  I obtained my initial scionwood from the SouthCoast Research station along with other scionwood.  Apparently originated at Leaven's Ranch in Ventura County.  The scion is now a tree and scions are distributed at the SLO scion exchange.  Fruit is Hass-like, excellent quality.  Allegedly earlier than Hass.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 14, 2019, 09:59:58 AM »
I have a question for you Avocado experts.  Earlier this year (early Spring I believe it was), I transplanted three Avocado trees in my front yard in "raised beds."  These trees had been growing in large ~50-gal food grade barrel makeshift pots for 7 years or so.  They were heavily root bound, so the transplant was shocking and they dropped all flowers fruit through the process.  They seem to have recovered through the Summer, and we've had a very long summer here in the Sacramento valley.  Right now we're nearing middle of November with daily temps in the high 70's low 80's.  There's been little winter chill yet -- an extremely warm/mild Winter start to say the least.

My best advice is to concentrate on growing and providing for the best root system as possible now and worry about fruit production later.  Hell, be happy, you've got local produce you can buy.  If you  were here in Texas and you'd be buying Mexican grown/warehoused crap quite often.

As you experienced avocados have a unique root structure (i.e. very shallow with no root hairs) and hate to be transplanted.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 14, 2019, 10:53:57 AM »
Thanks for the reply Mark, but the question still stands around: (1) why this Fuerte tree started to flower at the start of Winter?  This has never happened to me on any of my 10 or so Avocado trees; and (2) would it be best to pinch off the flowers and new buds or just leave them alone?  If left alone, I assume they will freeze off when Winter really enters.  Thanks.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 14, 2019, 11:03:03 AM »
I would just leave it alone.  My trees have flowered in october/november before.  Theres buds forming on a few of them now, not as far along as yours are.  Theres really no need to do anything.  The tree will either set fruit and hold them or not.  My guess is the tree will still be blooming into spring. 
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 14, 2019, 11:09:25 AM »
Hi Brad, it's good to hear that it happens.  It's a new phenomenon from my experience.  It's as if this entire tree is blooming and it believes it's in Spring.  I'm thinking this late-Spring like whether we're experiencing has confused it.  I'm betting none of that new bud and flower makes it through the full Winter though, which is why I figured it might be wise to snip them off -- save the tree some resources.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 14, 2019, 11:18:44 AM »
If you pinch them off it will just make new ones.  Just let do what it wants, it will probably set some fruit and hold onto them. 
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 14, 2019, 11:21:51 AM »
Sounds like a plan.  We can make a bet to see if anything hold through to next Summer.  It's certainly more interesting to follow.  Thanks for the notes.  I hope you're having a good season.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #690 on: November 14, 2019, 11:42:09 AM »
This has been an excellent year for avocados here.  Im most excited to get to try sharwil, jan boyce, and ardith in spring. 
Brad Spaugh

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 14, 2019, 01:18:49 PM »
That's great to hear.  With the mild CA weather, I'd expect your trees are in heaven.  It wasn't so too hot this summer relative to what we've seen in some other years.  Looking forward to hearing more about your new varieties.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: November 14, 2019, 01:29:22 PM »
That's great to hear.  With the mild CA weather, I'd expect your trees are in heaven.  It wasn't so too hot this summer relative to what we've seen in some other years.  Looking forward to hearing more about your new varieties.

Will be interesting to see if these live up to all the hype. 
Brad Spaugh

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 15, 2019, 08:36:34 PM »
hi guys, anyone here heard of or tasted Maria black avocado. I was at the Broward rare fruit event a few weeks ago and saw 3g trees for sale. I tried to look up this variety in the forum but didnt find any info. Anyone is growing it? info on tree size, fruit season months, productivity?
Thanks
Satya

tropical-farmer

• North Miami Beach, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 26, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »
Finally bought this one through a friend in WPB area. He told me this is being propagated and sold by Zill's farm. As per him the tree is not a vertical grower and can be kept small/dwarf. The fruit has high oil content and tastes similar to CA hass. Its Cold tolerant to 9A. And fruiting season is spring-summer- June-July. Anybody has any more info on this variety? I will be putting it to ground soon. I already have a Day and an Oro Negro. Oro Negro still has fruit hanging, will probably be there for next few weeks. I needed something that grows compact in size, has earlier fruiting season and tastes similar to CA Hass. I heard good things about Super Hass and Nishikawa but seems like both are Oct-Nov ripening here in South Florida and both are vigorous upright growers.

Satya

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 27, 2019, 09:08:03 AM »
hi guys, anyone here heard of or tasted Maria black avocado.

Would that be a true Mexican criollo?  FWIW here's an image of Mexican varieties from the Monterrey, Nuevo Leon area a Mexican friend of a friend is selling.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 30, 2019, 01:22:25 AM »
Side by side bacon vs Stewart.  That's all that's in season here.  Pictures tell you most of what you need to know.  They are both mediocre avocados.  The bacon tree is a lot more robust tree, both produce like crazy but the bacon tree is a better grower.  These avocados are ok on toast or sandwich but really aren't very good.

Brad Spaugh

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 30, 2019, 08:59:07 AM »
Bacon is the larger one, right?  Never realized they had such big seeds.
John

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 30, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »
Bacon is the larger one.  Big seed makes a good rootstock.  The Stewarts have a good flavor sometimes, some of them are watery, some are ok.  But the have other issues like a little fiber, fruit fall off tree before getting oily, thin skin that cracks.  These avocados are pretty much crap to be honest.

The bacon tree is my favorite tree though, not fruit.  It's so strong and erect.  It would make a great frame to multi graft other types onto. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 10:43:13 AM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

NissanVersa

• Houston Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 30, 2019, 11:21:22 AM »
hi guys, anyone here heard of or tasted Maria black avocado.

Would that be a true Mexican criollo?  FWIW here's an image of Mexican varieties from the Monterrey, Nuevo Leon area a Mexican friend of a friend is selling.

Hey Mark,  could I get his contact information?  I am interested in growing those.