Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940142 times)

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #2825 on: September 18, 2018, 09:18:21 PM »
Maybe say that cuttings are at least 8” or 12”.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: September 19, 2018, 08:28:30 AM »
Maybe say that cuttings are at least 8” or 12”.
so 30"+ would be good for the ones on right since they go up to 39"

sddarkman619

• San Diego, Ca. USA
    • View Profile
    • Bountiful Garden Nursery
« Reply #2827 on: September 19, 2018, 08:14:11 PM »
Just getting started with Dragon Fruit. Have not yet read all 114 pages of this thread but iwll knock out a chunk tonight.
Has anyone used any hormones on these to make them bud or branch out?

something like BAP?

Or anyone try Coconut water as a natural cytokine for this type of thing?

I have a night blooming cereus which is in the family I believe, I get blooms on that thing ever few months. Are these similar to Cereus? If so I think I'll be good to go.
--
Ca Licensed Nursery - Snail/Disease Free and Inspected:
Bountiful Garden Nursery - A1469.001

https://www.bountifulgardennursery.com
https://www.bananatreesforsale.com
https://fruitfuelfertilizer.com
--

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: September 20, 2018, 12:27:23 PM »
Just getting started with Dragon Fruit. Have not yet read all 114 pages of this thread but iwll knock out a chunk tonight.
Has anyone used any hormones on these to make them bud or branch out?

something like BAP?

Or anyone try Coconut water as a natural cytokine for this type of thing?

I have a night blooming cereus which is in the family I believe, I get blooms on that thing ever few months. Are these similar to Cereus? If so I think I'll be good to go.
there is no need, but here is a facebook group to help with growing
https://www.facebook.com/groups/373619656486562/

sddarkman619

• San Diego, Ca. USA
    • View Profile
    • Bountiful Garden Nursery
« Reply #2829 on: September 20, 2018, 02:33:31 PM »
thank you!
--
Ca Licensed Nursery - Snail/Disease Free and Inspected:
Bountiful Garden Nursery - A1469.001

https://www.bountifulgardennursery.com
https://www.bananatreesforsale.com
https://fruitfuelfertilizer.com
--

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: September 29, 2018, 05:16:38 AM »
In southwest Florida I've been seeing flower drop on DF within a few days of opening, and on inspection the buds are infested with fruit fly larvae. I don't have an exact Id but they look similar to the fruit flies seen on guava. The life cycle of of most fruit flies is they hatch in 1-3 days after eggs are laid and larvae life about a week so the eggs were likely laid around bloom time possibly while in bloom or shortly before. This variety is light pink fleshed. Interesting to note is that nearby white fleshed varieties never seem to be bothered by fruit flies. About 1/2 of buds on this bloom held without the flies.

Has anyone else experienced fruit fly in DF flowers and found a solution?

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: September 29, 2018, 07:51:46 AM »
In southwest Florida I've been seeing flower drop on DF within a few days of opening, and on inspection the buds are infested with fruit fly larvae. I don't have an exact Id but they look similar to the fruit flies seen on guava. The life cycle of of most fruit flies is they hatch in 1-3 days after eggs are laid and larvae life about a week so the eggs were likely laid around bloom time possibly while in bloom or shortly before. This variety is light pink fleshed. Interesting to note is that nearby white fleshed varieties never seem to be bothered by fruit flies. About 1/2 of buds on this bloom held without the flies.

of the 50 Varieties i grow in south Florida never had a problem with white flies, but i will go knock on wood to ensure it does not happen to me

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: September 29, 2018, 11:54:06 AM »
Does anyone in here have a picture of Desert king Dragon Fruit from Israel ?.

Because I bought a red fleshed Dragon Fruit and it seems like it is a hybrid between yellow and red Dragon Fruit.
Moh'd

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #2833 on: September 29, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »
Does anyone in here have a picture of Desert king Dragon Fruit from Israel ?.

Because I bought a red fleshed Dragon Fruit and it seems like it is a hybrid between yellow and red Dragon Fruit.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: September 29, 2018, 02:18:08 PM »

of the 50 Varieties i grow in south Florida never had a problem with white flies, but i will go knock on wood to ensure it does not happen to me
Not white flies, fruit fly maggots (larvae).

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2835 on: September 29, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »
I Grafted G2 on a unknown white fleshed DF and finally pushing new growth

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: September 30, 2018, 09:42:14 AM »

Not white flies, fruit fly maggots (larvae).
No problems with anything in SE Florida on the 50 Varieties grown except for a Caterpillar eating one and sprayed BT and it made a comeback

thw

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: October 03, 2018, 01:13:20 PM »
Either Ramiro or Edgar mentioned that the once the flower is pollinated, it will take approximately 8 hours for the pollen to travel down to the ovary.  Was this what he said?  Thanks!

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: October 05, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »
Finally got my first fruit from Purple Haze best Dragon fruit I've had super sweet with a hint of grape

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: October 05, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »
Does anyone know if sin espinas self-fertile? I'm interested in getting some cuttings but I want to know if it can produce fruit with it's own pollen

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: October 06, 2018, 12:03:37 PM »
Any idea whether this is ready to pick? It's a bruni that flowered in early July. I pollinated it with Selenicereus grandiflorus pollen, the self-pollinated ones didn't set. I read bruni was supposed to have tiny green fruits ( https://mattslandscape.com/detail/?plant_name=Bruni ), but this one just kept going. It's looked like this for at least a month now. I figured it would start to split when the time came, but the end where the flower was has started to shrivel just a bit, and if anything it looks like it might be getting a bit greener. The underside has turned more pink than the side exposed to the sun, which seems backwards to me.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: October 06, 2018, 12:44:44 PM »
Was the flower purple?
Brad Spaugh

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: October 06, 2018, 01:30:57 PM »

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: October 06, 2018, 04:07:41 PM »
Was the flower purple?

Yup

Awesome Nate.  Thats a bigg fruit.  Let us know how it tastes.  I have a couple on my plant too but havent tried it yet.
Brad Spaugh

Brandon909

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: October 12, 2018, 04:36:03 PM »
Is it some type of bacterial infection? First time seeing this started from the top

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: October 13, 2018, 12:15:11 PM »
Its stem rot. Basically dead tissue. If its a branch stem, best to just remove the branch and dispose of properly. If its a main stem, or something with a lot of growth further on, use a knife to scrape away as much of the rotted tissue as you can get at, then use a garden hose with a jet nozzle or pressure washer to blast away the decayed soft tissue. As long as the main stem remains intact, the branch itself will continue to survive. Think of it like a tree, with the hard woody core being the trunk and the green flesh being the bark. I've got a few plants that have sections of bare core feet long that not only survive just fine, but the exposed core continues to grow and expand just like it would if it were still wet and green.
As for the cause, could be bacterial, fungal or environmental. Usually these things are caused by branches banging together, poking holes in one another with their thorns, and allowing impurities to get into the soft tissue, and fester once the holes scar up. There's not a whole lot you can do about that, unless you have fungal issues, in which case you can do the occasional wash down with a light anti-fungal, but that's a bit of a crap shoot and you have no guarantee its going to totally prevent this. Best thing you can do is make sure you're giving your plants the proper nutrients when you feed them, to help them stay healthy and less susceptible to disease and damage.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: October 20, 2018, 05:46:39 PM »
Just out curiosity, I purchased just one, yellow colored Dragon Fruit fruit at Whole Foods Market about two months ago. To my surprise, the taste was delicious. And, the fruit size and quality was perfect, IMO. I was back a few days later and purchased 3 more.

The journey of searching for the perfect Dragon Fruit has been quite rewarding. And, this year, it has culminated with the unexpected early success of finding the perfect Dragon Fruit variety. The fruit itself was imported from the tropical fruit paradise of South America.

Up next in this Dragon Fruit Search Adventure and Journey: (1) Obtain a cutting of the Dragon Fruit described above, and (2) Continue the Search for a Red Colored Dragon Fruit with the same quality specifications.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: October 20, 2018, 05:58:09 PM »
Here the pictures of the perfect Dragon Fruit that I had the good fortune of eating. BTW, I’m not exaggerating when I say that the sugar content was perfect. While I was eating it I was blown away by how delicious it was. I didn’t have at all the experience that I have with all the other Dragon Fruit varieties, of wishing that it was sweeter.

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: October 20, 2018, 06:30:21 PM »
You really should get ahold of some Sugar Dragon variety. I personally havnt tried the new, larger yellow fruits that have started showing up recently, but I know I wasn't a fan of the original yellow Megalanthus. It wasn't its sugar content either that turned me off, in fact, it was almost the opposite. To me, Megalanthus yellow tastes almost entirely of sugar, like eating old time rock candy, pure sweet but no other flavor. I do know some of the darker reds and magentas are getting pushed into high sugar production, but for me its not all about sweet. Add a bit of fruity flavor to that, though , and now we're talking.
Having said that, Im hoping I can get a chance to check out that new yellow variety sometime soon to I can give an honest, personal, comparison.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: October 20, 2018, 07:34:54 PM »
You really should get ahold of some Sugar Dragon variety. I personally havnt tried the new, larger yellow fruits that have started showing up recently, but I know I wasn't a fan of the original yellow Megalanthus. It wasn't its sugar content either that turned me off, in fact, it was almost the opposite. To me, Megalanthus yellow tastes almost entirely of sugar, like eating old time rock candy, pure sweet but no other flavor. I do know some of the darker reds and magentas are getting pushed into high sugar production, but for me its not all about sweet. Add a bit of fruity flavor to that, though , and now we're talking.
Having said that, Im hoping I can get a chance to check out that new yellow variety sometime soon to I can give an honest, personal, comparison.

Its just sugar flavor again.

I had some sugar bomb american beauties here that were as sweet as the yellows plus a nice grape floral rose flavor.  Excellent.  I prefer that any day over the giant yellow. The fruits are larger and easier to grow too.

Brad Spaugh