Author Topic: Annona fruit set 2014  (Read 25600 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Annona fruit set 2014
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2015, 10:02:13 PM »
You are on the right track.

Not only does redness seem to be recessive, except perhaps where humans have long selected for redness, but red-fruited Annonas also seem to be a little less hardy than green ones or yellow ones.

I never took a single course in genetics, so these opinions are from field observations and seed-house observations.
Har

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2015, 10:51:23 PM »
great post and pics Shakira,

thanks for sharing.

i don't think I've ever seen a reticulata fruit as pale as yours!  it's very pretty.

was it grown outdoors, in full sun?

also was the fruit exceptionally sweet?

BTW. those seedlings I thought were hybrids were not!  they were just seedlings from a market in Belize!  they were collected by someone who brought them back to FL (a gringo  :D who tasted the fruit, but said it was amazing, and had never eaten annona fruit before)...I ended up getting two of these seedlings about 3 yrs after they were planted...one turned out red, the other yellow.  The red one was excellent (very surprising, being that the tree got quite cold in my greenhouse, and it was in a pot, and one of the first fruits harvested from the tree!  the yellow one was not quite as good, had more of a piney taste...but I'm eager to taste it again...maybe it will improve??

sorry i'm not much help when it comes to genetics.  :(
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 10:54:03 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2015, 11:19:01 PM »
Is that fruit from the seeds I sent you?  If so, here is the fruit the seeds came from. I only had the one fruit that year there is not much room for error.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5179.msg70578#msg70578
Brandon

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2015, 11:28:42 PM »
For some reason I was under the impression that reticulatas as were a bit more stable as far as appearance goes. Is it possible for a reticulata to have such a difference in color from one generation to the next without hybridizing with something else, for instance if the tree is pollinated by itself?
Life is good

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
Thank you for the great information, Har.

It's interesting how the two traits of red color and hardiness seem to be associated with each other. Maybe they are linked genes or close to each other on the same chromosome, thus inherited together. 

:) Your opinion is greatly appreciated! Your knowledge and vast experience in the field are an invaluable asset to amateurs like me. I am constantly learning something new from your posts.

P.S. I fruited my first 'Lisa' last year. My dad babied it all through out his visit in summer, but it only turned color and ripened after he went back home. He was absolutely overjoyed by how pretty it was in the pics I sent home. Thank you so much :)

You are on the right track.

Not only does redness seem to be recessive, except perhaps where humans have long selected for redness, but red-fruited Annonas also seem to be a little less hardy than green ones or yellow ones.

I never took a single course in genetics, so these opinions are from field observations and seed-house observations.

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2015, 03:18:23 PM »
Thank you Adam..:)

It was a very pale yellow. I grow most of my annonas in pots. It grows outside throughout the year, but in winter, as I don't have a greenhouse, they come in for winter protection (home or garage). This one had fruit hanging on it when I brought it in this last winter, so it got a special corner spot in the kitchen.  :P

So no direct sunlight on the fruit. Do you think that is why it's so pale?

It was not sweet at all, creamy but a bit on the bland side.

Sorry about that Adam, I must have misunderstood. You got lucky with that Kimber Red. I really think it's a winner..:) How is it doing this year? Any fruit hanging on? About the yellow... I think we should give them a few years and see if with maturity the fruit improves.

thanks for sharing.

i don't think I've ever seen a reticulata fruit as pale as yours!  it's very pretty.

BTW. those seedlings I thought were hybrids were not!  they were just seedlings from a market in Belize!  they were collected by someone who brought them back to FL (a gringo  :D who tasted the fruit, but said it was amazing, and had never eaten annona fruit before)...I ended up getting two of these seedlings about 3 yrs after they were planted...one turned out red, the other yellow.  The red one was excellent (very surprising, being that the tree got quite cold in my greenhouse, and it was in a pot, and one of the first fruits harvested from the tree!  the yellow one was not quite as good, had more of a piney taste...but I'm eager to taste it again...maybe it will improve??

:) No worries Adam, I'm just curious that all.

Zambezi

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2015, 03:47:56 PM »
Hey Brandon,

No, these were seeds I got before I found this great site.

The seedlings I have from your seeds are doing just fine. They will be 2 yrs old this year, so they may or may not flower this year, but most likely next year. How are your seedlings doing? Did you plant them out?

I actually butchered two twice in my attempts to graft them (I'm terrible at it! :) ). But reticulatas are really resilient; they keep bouncing back!

Now if my seedlings produce anything other than that beautiful fruit you have pictured, I'm coming for you!!

Hehehe  ;D I'm just kidding. In all seriousness, I don't doubt the integrity of your seeds. I'm still very grateful to you for sharing them with me.

Thank you so much, I owe you one.

Is that fruit from the seeds I sent you?  If so, here is the fruit the seeds came from. I only had the one fruit that year there is not much room for error.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5179.msg70578#msg70578

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2015, 05:26:21 PM »
Shakira,
thanks for sharing more info...I love hearing about your experiences.

yes the fruit is definitely pale (like me in the winter, when I spent too much time by the computer  :P )

it must be because it was not in the sunlight...but I really think it is very beautiful.

I also think the flavor was not up to par because it was not in full sunlight. (and possibly exposed to cold temps during fruit development?).

I wouldn't be surprised if it tastes totally different in the future!

no need to apologize for misunderstanding my post about the Kimber...it was my fault for improperly identifying it as a hybrid.  I've learned so much since then it seems.  This forum has been a valuable learning tool...and a fun social network!

:)

the kimber red is doing well, i need to pull it out of the greenhouse asap..and prune it up properly...it did not fruit last year...but this season, I'm going for the gusto, I'm hand pollinating, and babying the tree...I want some fruit!!!

the kimber yellow was sold to a dear friend, it's planted in the ground...(in a bit of a shady spot, but it looks very happy)...I'm eager to taste of it's fruits again...to see if there is an improvement....

i will never forget the first san pablo i tasted...it was beautiful...very large, with nice color, but flavor was bland...then a few years ago I got some san pablo fruit again, and it was 10x better....

so fruit quality can definitely be variable, probably depending on many factors, like the age of tree, exposure to sunlight,temps, soil, rainfall, etc.

Thank you Adam..:)

It was a very pale yellow. I grow most of my annonas in pots. It grows outside throughout the year, but in winter, as I don't have a greenhouse, they come in for winter protection (home or garage). This one had fruit hanging on it when I brought it in this last winter, so it got a special corner spot in the kitchen.  :P

So no direct sunlight on the fruit. Do you think that is why it's so pale?

It was not sweet at all, creamy but a bit on the bland side.

Sorry about that Adam, I must have misunderstood. You got lucky with that Kimber Red. I really think it's a winner..:) How is it doing this year? Any fruit hanging on? About the yellow... I think we should give them a few years and see if with maturity the fruit improves.

thanks for sharing.

:) No worries Adam, I'm just curious that all.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:29:11 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk