Author Topic: Any ideas if Africa Pride or Geffner tastes better?  (Read 3320 times)

Cookie0208

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Any ideas if Africa Pride or Geffner tastes better?
« on: August 31, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »
Hello, anyone here can tell me which tastes better? African Pride or Geffner? Man, I bought 3 Geffner and 3 African Pride from a nursery,and put all of it on the ground. Now that all these trees have fruits, and all 6 trees turn out to be AP 😭. Don't know what to do now..

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas if Africa Pride or Geffner tastes better?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »
Dig them up and give to your neighbors. They might plant next to your wall so you get half the tree.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 08:43:46 PM »
Buy your trees from a different nursery? :-[

Hopefully you really like the fruit? You can top work some of the ones you have for diversification.
Asking which tastes better is a loaded question, everyone has an opinion. There is another topic
going now about top working Annonas. There are so many good choices I would hate to have 6 of
one type?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:08:28 AM by achetadomestica »

Mikey

• San Diego, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 03:00:11 AM »
Buy your trees from a different nursery? :-[

Hopefully you really like the fruit? You can top work some of the ones you have for diversification.
Asking which tastes better is a loaded question, everyone has an opinion. There is another topic
going now about top working Annonas. There is so many good choices I would hate to have 6 of
one type?

I agree.  Why get so many of one or two things.  There are other annona that will live in San Jose.  If u don't want to dig them up then u should graft other variety on your trees.  Wait until spring time to graft your scions on the tree.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 08:56:19 AM »
The few comparisons I've seen put AP as better than Gefner, but that's going to be a matter of personal preference.

If they've been in ground long enough to be fruiting you would be doing yourself a great disservice by digging them out. That root establishment counts for a lot, and will mean better/faster growth if you topwork them to other varieties. Heck even if you bought budwood and paid someone to topwork them for you, you'd likely still come out paying less than buying all new trees.
Dom

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 12:31:34 PM »
I was only kidding about digging them up.

wayne23

• San Gabriel, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »
Hello, anyone here can tell me which tastes better? African Pride or Geffner? Man, I bought 3 Geffner and 3 African Pride from a nursery,and put all of it on the ground. Now that all these trees have fruits, and all 6 trees turn out to be AP 😭. Don't know what to do now..

I have the same problem.  My Geffner is bearing fruits and they look exactly like my AP.  really upset with the nursery who sold it to me  >:(.  My Geffner is still in container.  Perhaps I can try to sell it.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:24:25 PM by wayne23 »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »
I had  trees of both growing next to each other and AP has better tasting fruit but is less productive in my climate. Pinks mammoth is a good deal better than both and common in my area. Hillary white and Paxton prolific are the most expensive in the supermarkets and shops around Queensland.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 06:46:37 PM »
I had  trees of both growing next to each other and AP has better tasting fruit but is less productive in my climate. Pinks mammoth is a good deal better than both and common in my area. Hillary white and Paxton prolific are the most expensive in the supermarkets and shops around Queensland.

Mike, how would you compare the taste of Paxton Prolific and Pink's Mammoth?
Dom

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 09:35:17 AM »
Yes, Mike T, please comment on Paxton Prolific (bud sport) vs. Pinks Mammoth (original variety).  I read where the Paxtons said they tasted the same.  What is your experience???
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:47:28 AM by johnb51 »
John

Seanny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »
They tasted the same since Paxton is a branch on the PM?

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 12:07:25 PM »
They tasted the same since Paxton is a branch on the PM?

You would think.  But I know one annona expert who rates Pinks higher than Paxton.
John