Author Topic: Are there any tropical fruit trees that will fruit indoors?  (Read 1864 times)

rynophiliac

• Mesa, AZ
    • View Profile
Are there any tropical fruit trees that will fruit indoors?
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
Hi all,

I have a two large pots (one 19" at the top and the other 25" at the top) and I'd like to have some nice large house plants that can bear fruit.  I have a couple dwarf trees still in nursery pots that I'm considering putting in the large containers but not sure if they will fruit indoors or not? The pots are so big that it would be difficult to move them outside so they would be indoors year round.  I'm trying to figure out if I would get these to fruit indoors or not. The trees I'm considering putting in these containers is a pickering mango, wurtz avocado and a dwarf hawaiian starfruit.  Does anyone have any experience getting these to fruit indoors?

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any tropical fruit trees that will fruit indoors?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:02:49 PM »
The trees you mentioned will all fruit in pots, the key is adequate light and container size. With my smaller trees (Not producing fruit) a sunny window is enough but next year I'll be investing in supplemental light.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 10:13:07 PM »
Mango and avocado require a lot of light to develop fruit. Highly doubtful they would ever work indoors without grow lamps.
Jeff  :-)

rynophiliac

• Mesa, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 10:35:41 PM »
The trees you mentioned will all fruit in pots, the key is adequate light and container size. With my smaller trees (Not producing fruit) a sunny window is enough but next year I'll be investing in supplemental light.

What about putting the pot by a southern window?  It should get quite a bit of light

Andrew78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »
A southern exposure is best but still, not sure if it would be enough. My mango trees only bloomed when I could put them outside late spring, early summer. I invested in supplemental lighting, and now I get blooms and growth flushes on all my tropical fruit trees. If your in Mesa Arizona, just placing them outdoors during warm/hot temps should get them to flower and fruit :) Good luck!!

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 02:54:34 AM »

What about putting the pot by a southern window?  It should get quite a bit of light

Think of how small of a percentage of the sky sphere your southern window gets, and thus what percentage of the sun's energy (direct fraction, indirect fraction).  Now multiply by ~0,85 for double pane glass (assuming it's kept clean) for those losses.

Unless they're panoramic, south windows are best classified as partial shade.  You need a plant that will fruit in partial shade.  Heck, even with panoramic windows its more like "light shade"

Now, that said, I actually have some coffee that fruits from a *north* window.  But remember that this is Iceland; in the summer the sun rises and sets in the north.  ;)  (In the winter it gets supplemental lighting).  And trust me, the yield isn't spectacular  ;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:23:55 AM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

Andrew78

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 05:28:04 PM »
From my experience in NY state, sour citrus..ie. lemons, calondins, will flower and fruit indoors. I have been trying and trying to get tropical fruit trees to flower and fruit indoors. The only time I ever had a mango bloom indoors was when I had it under a 750 watt HPS light. I lost that tree sadly but now I keep all my tropical under 1000 watt HPS and that has seemed to make a huge difference, I have several citrus that are blooming and also with maturing fruits. My Maha Chanok mango is flushing new growth, but I know it's from th3 supplemental light I'm providing.

Empoweredandfree

• FL zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 07:09:29 PM »

Think of how small of a percentage of the sky sphere your southern window gets, and thus what percentage of the sun's energy (direct fraction, indirect fraction).  Now multiply by ~0,85 for double pane glass (assuming it's kept clean) for those losses.

Unless they're panoramic, south windows are best classified as partial shade.  You need a plant that will fruit in partial shade.  Heck, even with panoramic windows its more like "light shade"

Now, that said, I actually have some coffee that fruits from a *north* window.  But remember that this is Iceland; in the summer the sun rises and sets in the north.  ;)  (In the winter it gets supplemental lighting).  And trust me, the yield isn't spectacular  ;)

Yes, growing in pots is a lot of work, expense and little reward. Much respect for your accomplishments, no matter how small in Iceland!!!

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »

Yes, growing in pots is a lot of work, expense and little reward. Much respect for your accomplishments, no matter how small in Iceland!!!

Recently moved two more trees out next to it (main purpose: freeing up some space in the grow room).  Sorry, parrot, you no longer get a window view  ;)   The extra trees are now into larger pots, and I'm working on fixing some nutrient deficiencies in them. Also plan to do a heavy pruning on my main fruiting coffee tree.  Who knows, maybe two years from now I'll advance from "a small coffee cup per year" to "a pot of coffee to share with friends"  ;)  hehe.  This year I'm trying the "let the cherry dry with the bean still in it, then remove it" technique; I've heard that it imparts a fruity flavour to the coffee.

Still need to figure out how to get my acerola to be predictable in its fruiting.  At least I've got the "pruning = flowering" trick down, and kind of have a handle on the cycling of soil moisture as a trigger.  But I still haven't figured out how it decides when it wants to set fruit and when it doesn't (I hand pollinate).

I used to get physalis nonstop, but haven't gotten any for years.  I know the poor thing is horribly rootbound, but I don't want it taking up any more space, so I think it's just given up and decided "I think I'll just do the whole "leaf" thing nonstop now, thanks"  ;)  Maybe I'll give in and give it a bigger pot to see what it does... can't imagine what that rootball looks like..

I have a vasconcella pubescens that I can't stop from flowering.  But I've only got the one, and it's dioecious, so....  :Þ

I really want to get my monstera and my annona scleroderma to flower.  I'd think both would be big enough.  I recently spread some superphosphate around as a hint  ;)  My larger tamarind might be big enough to give it a go too, maybe, if I can convince it that it's happy enough  ;)

Still, it's always one step forward and one step back.  For example, I added a new 1000W grow light a couple months ago.  Still could use more light, but it's a more "normal" situation.  Great!  Except then I discovered, hey, now that you actually have some places that are outright bright, you have to pay attention to cases of excess light, not merely insufficient light.   Badly burned a salak and a garcinia. The salak might not make it.  :Þ  Also lost a couple plants recently learning a hard lesson about how much some plants hate ammonium fertilizers  :Þ  Note to Karen: lower pH with *sulfur*, not *ammonium fertilizers*.

But hey... good excuse for new seeds, right?  ;)

On the upside, I found a place I didn't think existed here: a company that imports and sells predatory insects!  My first batch of "pets" will be arriving tomorrow.  Goodbye, spider mites!  Goodbye, fungus gnats!  ;)  (Wish I could find a good place to buy bulk pollen so I could feed the mite predators once they've exhausted their food supply...)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 07:50:30 PM by KarenRei »
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk