Author Topic: The first fruit plant (Jabo) I ever bought is fruiting!  (Read 1742 times)

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
The first fruit plant (Jabo) I ever bought is fruiting!
« on: August 04, 2016, 02:15:20 AM »
This jaboticaba was my first fruit plant I bought, which started my obsession. A little over 4 years later it's finally about to give me my first taste. An Unnamed variety I bought from Logees, a cutting that was about 6 inches tall when I got it. Unimpressive after all the posts I've read, but it has a special place in my collection.  ;D Seeing it fruit feels great.

"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
Re: The first fruit plant (Jabo) I ever bought is fruiting!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 03:48:46 AM »
Only 4 years? :)

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 04:18:34 AM »
Yeah, trunk is still pretty skinny, I was a little surprised.  I hadn't even noticed it flowered. I heard grafted didn't take as long. It's potted and not very tall. Oddly no fruit on the trunk like I would have expected, just a half dozen on super skinny branches.

"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

Cassio

• Brasil, São Paulo, Zone 11b, Köppen: Cfa/Cwa
    • View Profile
    • Frutas em Vasos
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 07:00:02 AM »
Remember that the base trunk (where you grafted the cutting) is still young and not in fruiting age.
As a side note, not all the jabos set fruits in the lower trunk. Some vars set fruits only in the branches. ;)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 11:14:32 AM »
Congratulations! It's very exciting to see progress, no matter how long it takes to get there! All the more so when it is a special plant that started your collection. :)  I still have a fondness for Bearss lemon trees, because the first plant I ever bought and fruited when I moved to SFL was one I bought at a local farm. The joy of having these plants finally fruit makes a lot of the time and money you put in to get there worth it...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk