Author Topic: Longan toxicity??  (Read 1974 times)

TropicalFruitHunters

• USA, Columbus, OH, xxxxx Zone 5b
    • View Profile
    • Tropical Fruit Hunters
Longan toxicity??
« on: January 12, 2018, 01:38:48 PM »
Anybody know if plant and/or fruit is toxic to dogs or cats? I doubt that the fruit is and plant probably is not either...but, I promised someone I would check into this. Thanks.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Longan toxicity??
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:22:49 PM »
My feral cat ate one of the dropped fruits and defecated in the pot.
I'm no vet, but she seems to be ok. Not even sure if I want to dig her poop to see if the seed is there.

On another note, is it safe to eat from the tree if poop has been buried in it along with cat urine?
I dug out as much as I could, all the rain caused her to find alternate locations to do her business.
The longan pot is a kohala and 20 gallons, might be a pain in the ass to replace the soil, tree will also go into shock.

I'm guessing it's no different than rat fecal matter and urine in farms that grow our food, or lord knows what else is dropped on the fields and watered.

KarenRei

• Arctic Member
    • Reykjavík, Iceland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 02:37:34 PM »
Feces doesn't get sucked up roots; it doesn't work that way  ;)  The risk of fecal contamination of fields is that it gets onto the harvested portion.
Já, ég er að rækta suðrænar plöntur á Íslandi. Nei, ég er ekki klikkuð. Jæja, kannski...

PurpleAlligator

• USA, Miami, FL, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 03:46:42 PM »
My 8lb miniature pinscher eats longan fruits with no issues.

waxy

• San Jose, CA Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:19:39 PM »
Feces doesn't get sucked up roots; it doesn't work that way  ;)  The risk of fecal contamination of fields is that it gets onto the harvested portion.

That's good to know, I heard human matter is composted to make ultra grade fertilizer too.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:23:31 PM »

That's good to know, I heard human matter is composted to make ultra grade fertilizer too.

Kellogg's uses composted sewage sludge in most of their products

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
Longans appear to be safe. Lychee seeds can be toxic. They have been known to cause death in children (India) who ate them whole.

Study on Longan Seed Toxicity: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22902805

Dee (I can haz a) Mango

andrewq

• USA, Texas, Houston, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 11:50:19 PM »
Longans appear to be safe. Lychee seeds can be toxic. They have been known to cause death in children (India) who ate them whole.

Study on Longan Seed Toxicity: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22902805

they figured out the lychee thing was because starving kids were eating them on an empty stomach and getting low blood sugar.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(17)30035-9/fulltext