Author Topic: Avocado thread  (Read 183258 times)

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado thread
« Reply #500 on: April 14, 2019, 02:11:08 PM »
My 3 gallon holiday is pushing new leaves. It was transplanted from ground into rootbuilder last November and was dormant until now.

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 14, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
Cool.  Thanks for posting your Holiday Pic Hawk.  Yours seems more perky than mine, but it also shows the long stretchy branch runs that expose a bit too much young tree flesh without limited cover.  You might want to give those branches a painting to protect them if they're going to get scorching sunlight this summer.

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 14, 2019, 03:10:51 PM »
Yeah, it is coming back nicely. It was full of flowers with yellow leaves. I am debating between plain water based  latex paint and IV tree guard. But will paint the trunk and branches before June.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 15, 2019, 12:13:11 PM »
Ive got 2 of these holiday trees and both have the same issue.  Both trees have to be staked up to keep from falling over and both have weepy growth on top with exposed bark.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:19:00 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

zephian

• USA, CA, Yuba City Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 15, 2019, 01:25:53 PM »
Ive got 2 of these holiday trees and both have the same issue.  Both trees have to be staked up to keep from falling over and both have weepy growth on top with exposed bark.

How is the taste of the holiday? Mine is blooming heavily and is in a 15 gallon pot but I don't like how crooked the graft is...
-Kris

z_willus_d

• US, CA, Roseville, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 15, 2019, 03:41:22 PM »
Brad, I'm curious how old are your Holiday trees.  They seem to have some age on them.  Holiday is billed as a "Dwarf" avocado tree, but maybe its just crippled.  They do like to throw a lot of flowers (precocious). 

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 15, 2019, 04:26:17 PM »
I have only had the fruits that aborted after 12 months on the tree.  They were big giant watercados.  They need to hang for 18mo and then will be excellent.  My trees are still too small to hold fruit.  They are about 2-3 years old.
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 15, 2019, 04:32:14 PM »
Heres the other holiday teee, its a mess too, falling over to one side and bark exposed on top.  These are crappy trees. It was dumb for the nurseries to promote these.

I will give it a few more years of staking and painting bark and decide what to do with it.  Maybe the fruit will be amazing and it can stay.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:34:30 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 15, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »

[/quote]

My Brogdon is recently planted and has not grown any yet. It stopped dropping leaves a few weeks back and looks decent. Now its leaves have developed light spots all over.

Can someone help me diagnose? Thinking it could be something to do with watering, too much sun exposure, or anthracnose.

Thanks much.

Insect damage, fungi, nutritional issues?  Need more info.

This got buried a page back, does anyone have any idea what the leaf discoloration could be?

Appreciate it.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 10:44:29 PM by Yook »

Dylan SB

• Santa Barbara, CA 9B/10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 16, 2019, 12:01:09 AM »
I had something similar occur on my Reed Seedling tree last year about this time of year.  The tree outgrew it over the summer and it did not come back this year.I never did figure out what it was.  I was able to dig up a photo although it is not the best of quality.

My Brogdon is recently planted and has not grown any yet. It stopped dropping leaves a few weeks back and looks decent. Now its leaves have developed light spots all over.

Can someone help me diagnose? Thinking it could be something to do with watering, too much sun exposure, or anthracnose.

Thanks much.

This got buried a page back, does anyone have any idea what the leaf discoloration could be?

Appreciate it.
[/quote]

Dylan SB

• View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 16, 2019, 12:01:55 AM »
Here is the picture from previous post.

Dylan SB

• View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 16, 2019, 12:14:35 AM »
I thought I would share a picture of a graft that I did 2-3 weeks ago.  Unfortunately the rabbits ate most of my seedlings before I got a chance to try some grafts.  Buds from both are pushing out of the BuddyTape.  I have tried grafting before and they all had failed.  I watched some of the videos that Carlos has posted on YouTube and prepared some scions.   How long I should leave the BuddyTape on and the clothespin?  I remember seeing somewhere I think on these forms about the clothespin but don't remember where and when it should come off.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 16, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »
I thought I would share a picture of a graft that I did 2-3 weeks ago.  Unfortunately the rabbits ate most of my seedlings before I got a chance to try some grafts.  Buds from both are pushing out of the BuddyTape.  I have tried grafting before and they all had failed.  I watched some of the videos that Carlos has posted on YouTube and prepared some scions.   How long I should leave the BuddyTape on and the clothespin?  I remember seeing somewhere I think on these forms about the clothespin but don't remember where and when it should come off.

I use clothespins many times for their clamping effect and ease.  Leave the buddy tape on.   Here's clothespins on citrus, one over the T-Bud, one below it.

Recently did Pinkerton grafts with clothespins, cleft and side veneer, February 28.  Just upcanned this one to a RootTrapper Squat.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 16, 2019, 10:56:02 AM »
The clothes pins can come off after 2-3 weeks. 
Brad Spaugh

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 16, 2019, 11:09:51 AM »

Recently did Pinkerton grafts with clothespins, cleft and side veneer, February 28.  Just upcanned this one to a RootTrapper Squat.

Mark, when is a good time or when is a seedling ready to be grafted? One of my hass seedling is about 10" long and may be 2-3 months old, I forgot when I tossed the seed in a pot.

Dylan SB

• View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 16, 2019, 11:31:03 AM »
Mark, thanks for posting the pictures.  Your Pinkerton is looking good.

Brad, I will see if I can remove the clothespins this weekend.  I am hoping that they are not on too tightly and that I will break the union while trying to remove them.   

Yook

• USA, Florida, Orlando, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 16, 2019, 01:13:48 PM »
I had something similar occur on my Reed Seedling tree last year about this time of year.  The tree outgrew it over the summer and it did not come back this year.I never did figure out what it was.  I was able to dig up a photo although it is not the best of quality.

Thanks much.

Appreciate it.
[/quote]

By “it didn’t come back”, I hope you mean that the disease didn’t return and not that the tree died! Thanks for the feedback, I’ll give the tree some time.

Dylan SB

• View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 16, 2019, 05:27:59 PM »
The tree now has normal healthy leaves and I had not seen any new leaves with the odd coloration.

Thanks much.

Appreciate it.

By “it didn’t come back”, I hope you mean that the disease didn’t return and not that the tree died! Thanks for the feedback, I’ll give the tree some time.
[/quote]

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 22, 2019, 08:56:02 AM »
Mark, when is a good time or when is a seedling ready to be grafted? One of my hass seedling is about 10" long and may be 2-3 months old, I forgot when I tossed the seed in a pot.

My greatest success was back in 2012 when I did my initial grafts to Florida watercados.  Those seedlings were only about 2 months old then but very vigorous.  IMO the W. Indies X Guatemalan fruit makes the best rootstock.  It is vigorous and readily accepts scions.  Here's my Reed in 2012, side veneer graft to one of the "Slimcados".  It is now 13' tall, fat and full of unopened blossoms, blooming about 6 weeks late for some reason.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:58:14 AM by Mark in Texas »

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 22, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »
3 weeks ago, I transplanted a Reed avocado from a 15 gallon container. I bought it from Clausen in Bonsall.   This morning I noticed the young leaves are burning at the tips.  All the old leaves have fallen off.  Is this Reed going through transplant shock or just some nutrient deficiency?  The temperature has been warm recently in San Diego but hasn't been over 80F where I lived so I don't think it is sunburn.

-Jamex

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 22, 2019, 01:23:27 PM »
3 weeks ago, I transplanted a Reed avocado from a 15 gallon container. I bought it from Clausen in Bonsall.   This morning I noticed the young leaves are burning at the tips.  All the old leaves have fallen off.  Is this Reed going through transplant shock or just some nutrient deficiency?  The temperature has been warm recently in San Diego but hasn't been over 80F where I lived so I don't think it is sunburn.

-Jamex

Could be salt burn and/or high pH.  You might flush it with some low-salt water and give it some mild low pH fertilizer like a bucket of coffee grounds.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 22, 2019, 07:45:46 PM »
Usually tip damage like that is salt burn.  Did you already start fertilizing it?  Dont water too much either, just once a week is all it needs with this weather.
Brad Spaugh

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 23, 2019, 01:47:06 AM »
I haven't put on any fertilizer on it.  As far as watering, I think I've been under-watering it.  because I used a drip soaker hose and those thing don't put out much water.  That's why I'm removing it and just use my water hose.  One thing I notice is since I transplanted it, I've been losing all the old leaves.  Now on the tree, there are only 4 or 5 leaves remained from before the transplant.  The rest are new leaves.

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 23, 2019, 02:03:51 AM »
My Reed is dropping old leaves. It's normal this time of the year.

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 23, 2019, 08:41:53 AM »
It's not the old leaves I'm worrying about.  It's the tip burn/damage on the young leaves.
My Reed is dropping old leaves. It's normal this time of the year.