Author Topic: Where to buy 0-0-50 fertilizer cheap?  (Read 9594 times)

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Where to buy 0-0-50 fertilizer cheap?
« on: June 26, 2013, 09:02:56 PM »
Hey guys any specific places in south florida or over the internet to purchase the fertilizer. I plan on adding some in the coming mango season for next year.

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy 0-0-50 fertilizer cheap?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:15:25 PM »
how big is the bag and how much is it?

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
how big is the bag and how much is it?

50lbs x $27 last time I was there to get some

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:38:40 PM »
when is the best time to apply this fertilizer? december - feb or while its flowering?

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 10:31:29 PM »
I've purchased 0-0-50 from a seller on Ebay, Kelp4Less.  Fast delivery and good prices.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 08:27:30 AM »
when is the best time to apply this fertilizer? december - feb or while its flowering?

for mangoes any time (it will not burn) but most do it after the harvest

AFAIK straight K   0-0-50 is for older fruiting trees and 8-3-9 (or similar) is best for trees that are younger and not fruiting or have been fruiting just a few years

You can buy a 50lb bag but if your trees are mostly young you might not use it much for a while. But nothing wrong with having a bag of 0 0 50 sitting in your garage. Plus maybe a friend will buy some off of you

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 11:21:46 PM »
Pompano Beach is a bit too far away for me. I hope I can find K 0-0-50 at one of the bix box warehouse stores at a good price.

Zands, thanks for your advice, I plan to fertizize my older lychee and mango trees with it in November.

I'm now looking forward to seeing the effect will be on fruit quality and production next year.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 06:18:55 AM »
Pompano Beach is a bit too far away for me. I hope I can find K 0-0-50 at one of the bix box warehouse stores at a good price.

Zands, thanks for your advice, I plan to fertizize my older lychee and mango trees with it in November.

I'm now looking forward to seeing the effect will be on fruit quality and production next year.

My largest mango trees get hlaf 8-3-9  and half of the straight potassium 0-0-50. I really must buy some more 0 0 50 and just go 100% with this for my largest 3 mango trees. Partly because more N will just make them grow larger faster and they are large enough for my property size. More N just means more often pruning

But the smaller mango trees/small lychee/ small guava/ fig/ others get only 8-3-9

Miami has better fertilizer sources than Broward. Ask Carlos where to get 0-0-50. I think it is at Diamond-r supply in Homestead http://www.diamond-r.com/locations.htm#homestead

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 11:48:27 PM »
Zands, I've recently become aware, from you and others, how important this 0-0-50 fertilizer is, in order to get good fruit production.

I like your fertilizing technique and the how-to common sense explanation.

Thanks for the heads up on where to get 0-0-50 and for all the useful info.

'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 11:57:43 PM »
I've bought 0-0-50 fertilizer from Winfields in the past, it was 50 lbs I bought it a year ago, so I don't remember the price, but I think it was around $30.  They have a locations in Boynton Beach and Miami.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 01:20:14 AM »
Mr. Clean, thanks for the expanding the options on where to get 0-0-50. November will be here in about four months and it's not too early to plan where to get this fert'.

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 08:19:05 AM »
Curious, being in a different soil/clime, I find it amazing that your soils are that low in K.  Anyhoo, you have one of the best distributors right there in your state - Harrell's.  They sell potassium sulphate in 50 lb. bags.  I buy there Polyon and love it, so do my trees.  :)
http://www.harrells.com/products/item/200065/0-0-50-sulphate-of-potash-reg-50-lb

Although rather pricey for in ground apps, you can't beat Jack's Citrus FeED,   20-10-20.

mangorific

• USA, FL, Loxahatchee, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 08:26:09 PM »
Sorry to bump an old thread but I wanted to thank zands for pointing out Universal Enterprises Supply and to provide a few additional details that may help others.

Universal Supply's website mentions they are wholesale but they actually allow regular consumers to stop in. Cash or credit card is fine. A 50lb bag of 0-0-51 was $32 + tax and a 50lb bag of 8-3-9 was $18 + tax. Pictures of their respective labels are below -

They told me I was buying the last bag of 0-0-51, so call ahead to confirm availability of whatever you're looking for.

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »
good to know, hope to pick up some soon to fertilize for the next season.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 11:45:34 AM »
I've purchased 0-0-50 from a seller on Ebay, Kelp4Less.  Fast delivery and good prices.

I can recommend this site as well - good prices and great service. Just did an order with them.
EDIT - they have an eBay store and a standalone website, kelp4less.com.

y0rascal

• Davie, FL, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 03:15:01 PM »
maybe im seeing something wrong but at the kelp4less when checking on a 20lb bag they are asking for over $130.00, i don't see how these are good prices when a 50lb bag is obtained for $32.00.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 03:16:59 PM »
Yikes - not sure. .. I was getting very small amounts because I only have one small mango tree.  Maybe their bulk sizes are not cost effective (especially considering shipping.)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 06:25:34 PM »
...and I wanted to ask - How often would one use 0-0-50 in a season?
Just once after fruits are through and that's it?

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 06:46:47 PM »
...and I wanted to ask - How often would one use 0-0-50 in a season?
Just once after fruits are through and that's it?

Gary

After harvest is what people say but Fairchild says 3 times a year which is probably better. Potassium will not burn so you cannot overdo it like nitrogen. Not that you want to waste it.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/tropicalfruitprogram/jackfruit/growing-a-mango-tree/

Ten Easy Steps to the Perfect Home Garden Mango

1. Choose a healthy tree: A 2-gal container is a good size. A small tree will establish quicker and grow better roots to resist hurricanes. 

2. Planting the tree: Select an area where the tree gets sufficient sunlight for good production.

3. Water the tree until established – 1 to 3 months. Do not irrigate after establishment – as irrigation will increase disease and lower fruit quality.   (Mangofang and other desert denizens need to irrigate)

4. Fertilize lightly with low analysis fertilizers. We recommend that no nitrogen fertilizers be applied. (I disagree. Use good NPK fertilizer with minors on young trees. Once they really get fruiting then just potassium unless you want a larger tree. Fairchild promotes the philosophy of smaller bushy trees) Fertilize when your tree is active. Do not fertilize during the winter time. We use a 0-0-50 formulation, sprinkled lightly below the drip-line of the canopy three times per year. Fertilize 3 times per year with foliar micronutrients that include magnesium, zinc, and manganese.

5. Tipping: Begin tipping in the first year and continue for the life of the tree. Trees should be tipped every 20 inches. (20 inches folks!!!)

(more at link)

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 11:15:01 PM »
I was like, where's that fertilizer thread that I saw a few months ago? So, I'm really glad it's been brought back. It seems the time is now to get some 0-0-50 fertilizer and apply it now to my mature fruit trees. The plan is to get loads of fruit next year, thanks everybody.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 04:53:42 PM »
I new to mangos. But once they past the juvenile state I plant to feed them just potassium nitrate 13-0-46 and supplement with nutritional minor elements. And every 2-3 years add some organic phosphate.
Pot Nit is a bit more expensive but is a higher quality of potassium at least for avocados and would imagine other fruit trees will appreciate the quality. 
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 06:57:25 AM »
. . .

5. Tipping: Begin tipping in the first year and continue for the life of the tree. Trees should be tipped every 20 inches. (20 inches folks!!!)

zands, when you write "Trees should be tipped every 20 inches", do you mean the branch should be cut back 20 inches?  I was under the impression that just nipping off the tip 2 or 3 inches would suffice.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
...good question Carbo - I'm thinking like u - it's a small cutback every 20 inches to get it to branch, and not 20" cut off the branch itself.  I would have a  bunch of dwarfs if I did that....   >:(

gary