Author Topic: When to harvest Geffner?  (Read 927 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
When to harvest Geffner?
« on: August 24, 2018, 07:50:20 AM »
My Geffners are getting decent sized, when do we typically harvest them in south FL?
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: When to harvest Geffner?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 08:22:06 AM »
I had a sugar apple lying on the ground this morning and a dream last night

Luckily I don't have any critters messing with them and I can let them ripen on the tree.
I check morning and night. The geffner has a subtle change of color and then it doesn't
take long. I have Lisa and they turn a pinkinsh color and then it doesn't take long. They also
start to soften and you can pick them and let them finish softening on the counter. Once they hit the
ground they are ready to eat and will spoil quickly. But look for the subtle color change and
the softening of the fruit. It's weird in the morning they are rock hard and next thing you
know they are soft. If you have noticed the color change pick the softest one and let it finish
on the counter. How many fruit do you have?

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: When to harvest Geffner?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 02:07:59 PM »
My tree is younger so I removed all but about 10. Tree is about 8’ tall when not loaded.

What month are they getting ripe? 

1 fell off and I didn’t see it and stepped on it LOL. I still ate the part my shoe didn’t touch of course.

Mine is losing some leaves right now. Is anyone else’s losing some leaves?  I just gave it about 2 lbs of citrus 6-4-6, I hope that wasn’t too much and not causing the leaf drop.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk