Author Topic: Avocado Runt Seedlings  (Read 1470 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Avocado Runt Seedlings
« on: May 12, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »
Approximately 15% of my young grafted avocado trees are clearly runts.  At one and a half years old, most of my trees are near 2 meters high, while the runts are not much bigger than when planted out a year ago (30 cm).    Are the runts caused by being too long in a plastic bag that inhibited taproot growth, or are they primarily genetic runts?

It's easy enough to replace them, but I'm curious to learn the cause.  It seems 'once a runt, always a runt' - no fertilizer seems to help.
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Ed of Somis

• Ventura Co, Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado Runt Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:25:13 PM »
j...unfortunately, I do not have the answer. If it is any solace...I have experienced weird "runts" as well. Some seedlings really make poor rootstocks. Then, other seedlings of the same variety really take off. I have been using my Bacon seeds quite a bit for rootstocks. I have decided it is better to just move on....and not fight it. Certainly, some varietals used to topwork the rootstocks are more aggressive than others. I keep having the same results with some of my desired varieties. I can't get a Nimlioh tree to graft and take off...to save my butt. I have read they can be shy growers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk