Author Topic: AUTONOMOUS SHOOT PRODUCTION IN PAWPAW for saving buds to graft later &hardwood  (Read 794 times)

Francis_Eric

• 40 miles west of Chicago Aurora IL ZONE 5
    • View Profile
    • https://myspace.com/undisclosedforthetime/
first I have to ask I was told in order graft a wild pawpaw type
I have to find a good one fruiting put a  tag it,
and come back in spring when the sap isn't flowing to graft the new type?

IS that true ?
could I just clip the tree branch, now let it go dormant in the fridge, and graft in spring?

Seems like there have to be other techniques .
(I root cloned baby seedlings by breaking roots in half in humid zip lock bags)

Now for the below link If I can get a bud, and put it in some of that medium ,
and wait till after winter when the sap flows to graft (chip bud grafting or whatever with my alive bud)
that tissue culture seems complicated below , but walking all day carrying a heavy bag
 is not easy either just to have to go back, in the spring time , and get a dormant cutting...

I hope someone can explain the process easier
or know of a lab that can prepare it.

AUTONOMOUS SHOOT PRODUCTION IN PAWPAW (ASIMINA TRILOBA (L.) DUNAL)  ON PLANT GROWTH REGULATOR FREE MEDIA

http://kysu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Geneve2007.pdf

North American pawpaw [Asimina triloba (L.) Dunal] is a temperate climate member of the Annonaceae used as an ornamental and specialty tree fruit crop. Micropropagation could provide a clonal propagation method for plant production and contribute to germplasm preservation. A pawpaw culture was established that has produced shoot-bud clusters for over six years when maintained on a plant growth regulator (PGR) medium with BA (8.9 µM) + NAA (2.3 µM). Shoots on PGR medium failed to elongate beyond 2 cm compared to approximately 12% for shoots on PGR-free medium. Single shoot-buds subcultured three times to PGR-free medium continued to initiate between 5 to 7 shoot-buds per culture and shoot elongation remained at approximately 16%. This suggests that these pawpaw cultures had become habituated to autonomously produce shoots without cytokinin and auxin induction
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 07:08:09 AM by Francis_Eric »

Ansarac

• Beaumont, California, US Zone 9
    • View Profile
Re: AUTONOMOUS SHOOT PRODUCTION IN PAWPAW ---- for saving buds to graft later
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »
I am hearing lots of strong (!) opinions, from people who really can't retrace their steps.

The most thorough method would be to make the hard trek back.

Carefully record the results from each technique, the date, and your own growing conditions, in situ.

imho, dormancy was not the key concern in grafting. People believe that germs are at the least-vigorous, during cold weather.

So, are the plants.

In tree work, they are constantly sterilizing the tools, with ordinary, household chemicals, because everything doesn't wait for cold weather. 

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 06:56:22 AM »
I am hearing lots of strong (!) opinions, from people who really can't retrace their steps.

The most thorough method would be to make the hard trek back.

If I plan to be in the woods a week straight I better .
I bought  2 GPS , and wondering if any one knows a good model .

The last one I had I liked it showed the Altitude
was a little disappointed for the price it didn't say what Town I was by (but maybe it did)
I only tested it , and set the thing up since it said not to set it up  in civilization ,
 because of magnetic  interferences so not sure how else it may have preformed .

Anyone into that sort of thing could help as I am not so good with that type of technology .

I really hope if I collect some root samples, and add hormones I can get the clones that way
as not sure if I want to risk the cuttings gathered, and have to carry while out there.

Francis_Eric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 07:04:21 AM »
I did find one right out side pawpaw fest that had a Pineapple taste
My first wild pawpaw I found at least , it was 90 % seed, and small
Cliff England said may take a few generations to breed out .
(he sounded of which He wasn't as interested as he was I brought up the 90 percent seed.)

I should be able to re find that one at least since it is not far off the path someplace,
but if you ever watched John Candy in the wagon master That's like me I can never find my way
, but things kind of work out in the end  .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk