Author Topic: Can I grow Muscadine Grape in here ?.  (Read 11308 times)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Can I grow Muscadine Grape in here ?.
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:21:05 AM »
Hi,

I did some research and found that Muscadine Grape taste very much like Jaboticaba (jaboti-Vine  :P). Anyway, I have seen people growing figs and grape in here and I was wondering If the requirement of Muscadine is similar to them.

Thanks
Moh'd

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
Re: Can I grow Muscadine Grape in here ?.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 07:39:47 AM »
They are a vine.  Treat the same as grapes.  They are big in the US south because many grape varieties get wiped out by Pierce's Disease, muscadines are not susceptible.  I prefer grapes to muscadines, but they can be good.

I wouldn't compare them to figs, different on so many levels.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:55:17 PM »
Hi,

I did some research and found that Muscadine Grape taste very much like Jaboticaba (jaboti-Vine  :P). Anyway, I have seen people growing figs and grape in here and I was wondering If the requirement of Muscadine is similar to them.

Thanks

I would say they have similarities to Jaboticaba, for sure. They don't need nearly as much water as jabo do. The muscadine is well suited to Florida where it's warmer year round than the rest of the U.S. I say you have nothing to lose trying them if you can grow grapes there.

Regards,

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 12:57:15 PM »
Muscadines have  a thick skin that helps resist fungus in the humid South (USA)    Your Arab  Gulf climates being dry can grow the more often seen thin skin grape varieties which (my opinion) are usually superior to muscadines. I have muscadines growing because it is humid, wet and hot here in south Florida.

Can you even buy muscadine grape vines there? What kind of grape plants-vines do you find at your local nurseries? Double check but those are the ones that should grow well where you are. All I know is that some Arab countries or parts of countries have good grape climates like Muscat///

Muscat (grape) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscat_(grape)

The Muscat family of grapes include over 200 grape varieties belonging to the Vitis vinifera species that have been used in wine production and as raisin and table ...

History ·
    Origins of the name ... ·
    Closely related varieties ·
    Key varieties
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:01:19 PM by zands »

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 04:21:53 AM »
They are a vine.  Treat the same as grapes.  They are big in the US south because many grape varieties get wiped out by Pierce's Disease, muscadines are not susceptible.  I prefer grapes to muscadines, but they can be good.

I wouldn't compare them to figs, different on so many levels.

Thanks for your input. I might give muscadine a try and see what happens.

Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 04:25:38 AM »
Hi,

Thanks

I would say they have similarities to Jaboticaba, for sure. They don't need nearly as much water as jabo do. The muscadine is well suited to Florida where it's warmer year round than the rest of the U.S. I say you have nothing to lose trying them if you can grow grapes there.

I heard the heat tolerance of muscadine are excellent.
Thanks.
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 04:59:42 AM »
Muscadines have  a thick skin that helps resist fungus in the humid South (USA)    Your Arab  Gulf climates being dry can grow the more often seen thin skin grape varieties which (my opinion) are usually superior to muscadines. I have muscadines growing because it is humid, wet and hot here in south Florida.

I have read that, Muscadine is more resistant to diseases. Did you try to grow the hybrid grape (European-grape X muscasdine) ?.

Can you even buy muscadine grape vines there? What kind of grape plants-vines do you find at your local nurseries? Double check but those are the ones that should grow well where you are. All I know is that some Arab countries or parts of countries have good grape climates like Muscat///

There is no chance I'll find muscadine grapes in here. I only saw two types of grapes, green and black of unknown Variety.

Muscat (grape) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscat_(grape)

The Muscat family of grapes include over 200 grape varieties belonging to the Vitis vinifera species that have been used in wine production and as raisin and table ...

History ·
    Origins of the name ... ·
    Closely related varieties ·
    Key varieties

In Arabic The word "Muscat", could mean The birth place or where it started and it's also the name of Oman's Capital city.  When I say "Muscat Ra'asaek" it means your birth place and When I say "Muscat AlGaith" it means where did the rain start from. So, Muscat grapes could mean the birthplace of grapes which should be in the Mediterranean or maybe Oman.

Thanks Zands.
Moh'd

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 07:43:33 AM »

I will always go for the black grape over green. They taste sweeter. I have eaten many memorable black grapes. Even red ones when darker red. But not green ones except for some California grown muscats. Do you think you might might plant some grapes?

Wesley Snipes-  "Always Bet on Black"  --- Passenger 57 (1992)

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 11:23:07 AM »

I will always go for the black grape over green. They taste sweeter. I have eaten many memorable black grapes. Even red ones when darker red. But not green ones except for some California grown muscats. Do you think you might might plant some grapes?

Wesley Snipes-  "Always Bet on Black"  --- Passenger 57 (1992)

Well, I'm not a sweet tooth person  :-X. I prefer a complex flavor rather than sweet  :P .  I will grow grapes. In fact I bought a few cuttings from Malta and I hope it arrives very soon.

BTW, I love Passenger 57, I also like demolition man and white men can't jump.

Thanks
Moh'd

chester copperpot

• Morehead City
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »
I have muscadines on my property. They're really easy to grow for me here, I am in zone 8b, which means that we rarely freeze and temperatures are often in the 90s Fahrenheit in the summer. Whats different here than in the UAE is that we're likely to have it a lot more humid.

But, I live on the coast, so I have very sandy soil, so that seems similar. The only difference is that you're possibly hotter and less humid. The heat is something that the muscadines like, but the lack of humidity may be the only source of problems for you.

I think that if you can grow figs, you can grow muscadines. I don't know how it works, but if customs would allow it, I am about to go and prune mine. I have several varieties and one of them is hybridized with a bunch grape.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2015, 01:52:10 PM »
My wife use to work in Dubai, She said it would get so hot and humid that it would squish you flat. 39C+ almost every day.

chester copperpot

• Morehead City
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2015, 02:05:53 PM »
That's a fair point. I was actually just thinking of my time in Jordan and Israel. Over there it seemed very dry and not humid. My mental map of the Middle East is much less accurate than I thought, because I was imagining the two regions were closer.

So, sorry, and thanks for helping me correct that.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2015, 03:01:37 PM »
Dubai is a tropical desert climate, probably closer to Sonoran desert (but with more humidity according to online references). EvilFruit I think you will be ok with the muscadine grapes adapting to your climate, I have read references to people in Arizona growing muscadine grapes. The issue you may have though is related to chill hours.

Some of the Caribbean islands have climates very similar to Dubai, especially the less rainfall islands like Anguilla. I would ask those in the Florida Keys on this forum if they are growing Muscadine grapes and getting decent crops (if so what variety). Then you should look for those varieties to grow.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 03:05:13 PM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 07:01:36 AM »
I have muscadines on my property. They're really easy to grow for me here, I am in zone 8b, which means that we rarely freeze and temperatures are often in the 90s Fahrenheit in the summer. Whats different here than in the UAE is that we're likely to have it a lot more humid.

But, I live on the coast, so I have very sandy soil, so that seems similar. The only difference is that you're possibly hotter and less humid. The heat is something that the muscadines like, but the lack of humidity may be the only source of problems for you.

I think that if you can grow figs, you can grow muscadines. I don't know how it works, but if customs would allow it, I am about to go and prune mine. I have several varieties and one of them is hybridized with a bunch grape.

In the summer, the humidity level goes really high, it's like living inside a green house, unbearable   :-X. It could also cause a problem if you have asthma.

I would love to have a few cuttings from different varieties. I can pay for priority shipping and I have never had any problem with customs.

Thanks
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 07:07:09 AM »
My wife use to work in Dubai, She said it would get so hot and humid that it would squish you flat. 39C+ almost every day.

She must be a teacher, right ?. She probably lived in Jumeirah about a one-hour drive from my place

Good luck in you marriage.
Moh'd

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 07:17:38 AM »
She is a teacher now but she worked for the national radio when she was there. She went there after the global crash in '08, and worked about a year.

You should try to find "triumph" Muscadines they fruit here in the keys with no chill.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 10:05:33 AM »
Dubai is a tropical desert climate, probably closer to Sonoran desert (but with more humidity according to online references). EvilFruit I think you will be ok with the muscadine grapes adapting to your climate, I have read references to people in Arizona growing muscadine grapes. The issue you may have though is related to chill hours.

Some of the Caribbean islands have climates very similar to Dubai, especially the less rainfall islands like Anguilla. I would ask those in the Florida Keys on this forum if they are growing Muscadine grapes and getting decent crops (if so what variety). Then you should look for those varieties to grow.

I'll try to find low or no-chill Muscadine. Unfortunately, I sent many emails to different nurseries in the USA and no one has replied except for one or two and they told me I have to pay for a Certificate (USDA ?) which is $250.  :o

I appreciate your input. Thanks
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:08:09 AM by EvilFruit »
Moh'd

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »
I would also like to try the Muscadine grapes here in Portugal... I believe our climate will be great for these grapes... and the most interesting characteristic for me is the disease resistance these grapes seem to have as it is impossible to grow regular grapes here without chemical treatments and I just don't have time to take care of it...

But I remember reading an article saying the Muscadines don't root well from winter cuttings like the regular grapes... I seem to remember that it was necessary to root them during summer time by tip layering or summer-cuttings... any comments or experience on this?
thanks in advance

chester copperpot

• Morehead City
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 10:03:37 PM »
I have had great success so far with all the varieties I have tried to root except one. I bought several varieties for a fence/trellis (I am actually kind of proud of it, it's a living fence) and just couldn't leave the excess that I had to prune off on arrival. I put them in pots. My mother-in-law saw a couple pots with "just a stick" in them and planted basil in one and lemongrass in another. Luckily, the one with the basil sent out a shoot through one of the pot drainage holes and the other one grew fine out of the lemongrass. I just used rootone and shoved them into the pots.

I did not have so much luck however, with the cuttings I got from a local vine that was purported to be 400 or more years old from one of the original failed colonies. I think the age of it had something to do with it, or just that I am a novice and took the cuttings when I happened to be in the area rather than when would be a good time to get it.

So, I would say that since my successes were from plants that were shipped to me (and therefore dormant) and not from the ones I cut in June or September, I would say that my experience is that dormant cuttings were more successful.

I have the Triumph cultivar. It grew rapidly and produced in its first year. It had a great juice but the skin was really peppery.

Let me research the rules for sending plant material abroad and see if it's something that can be done. I would like to help people out, but I don't want to violate any laws.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »
I grow Muscadines near my Kiwi vines. When I am giving a tour of the garden I always warn fellow gardeners as we near the trellises - If you want to plant Muscadines or Kiwis you need to always carry a pair of pruners with you. They need a hair cut every time you walk down the row. In the summer they can quickly overgrow the trellis. To me they are way too sweet. Eating four or more of them gives me a sugar headache. They don't taste like regular grapes. When I have purchased them in the past and grew them in pots while I waited for the space in the ground to get ready - they did okay in pots but were not super strong and they only made a few grapes.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »
I would also like to try the Muscadine grapes here in Portugal... I believe our climate will be great for these grapes... and the most interesting characteristic for me is the disease resistance these grapes seem to have as it is impossible to grow regular grapes here without chemical treatments and I just don't have time to take care of it...

But I remember reading an article saying the Muscadines don't root well from winter cuttings like the regular grapes... I seem to remember that it was necessary to root them during summer time by tip layering or summer-cuttings... any comments or experience on this?
thanks in advance

You can't root dormant muscadine cutting and I think the same thing could be said for blueberry . The cutting should be green in order to grow.
Moh'd

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »

thanks in advance
Keep in mind that disease resistance in the U.S. may not apply to you.

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2015, 01:34:39 PM »

thanks in advance

I'm far from being an expert on grape diseases, but from my experience the only grapes I can grow here that can grow and fruit well without any treatment is the "Fox Grape . Vitis labrusca" that I believe is also from U.S.... I'm considering that the Muscadines maybe have the same resistance... Am I wrong?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2015, 02:32:29 PM »

thanks in advance

I'm far from being an expert on grape diseases, but from my experience the only grapes I can grow here that can grow and fruit well without any treatment is the "Fox Grape . Vitis labrusca" that I believe is also from U.S.... I'm considering that the Muscadines maybe have the same resistance... Am I wrong?

American grapes are more disease tolerant to start with. The European grapes are highly selected, and lost the inherited wild disease resistance over time I believe. There are some good Euro x American hybrids out there (ex. Baco Noir, Marchal Foch, Cascade) used for wine. Bunch grapes may be another good option for you as well; http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg105
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2015, 02:41:31 PM »
Not an expert either.  Really an issue of what disease pressures you have relative to the disease resistance of the plant.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 02:19:29 PM »
I have had great success so far with all the varieties I have tried to root except one. I bought several varieties for a fence/trellis (I am actually kind of proud of it, it's a living fence) and just couldn't leave the excess that I had to prune off on arrival. I put them in pots. My mother-in-law saw a couple pots with "just a stick" in them and planted basil in one and lemongrass in another. Luckily, the one with the basil sent out a shoot through one of the pot drainage holes and the other one grew fine out of the lemongrass. I just used rootone and shoved them into the pots.

I did not have so much luck however, with the cuttings I got from a local vine that was purported to be 400 or more years old from one of the original failed colonies. I think the age of it had something to do with it, or just that I am a novice and took the cuttings when I happened to be in the area rather than when would be a good time to get it.

So, I would say that since my successes were from plants that were shipped to me (and therefore dormant) and not from the ones I cut in June or September, I would say that my experience is that dormant cuttings were more successful.

I have the Triumph cultivar. It grew rapidly and produced in its first year. It had a great juice but the skin was really peppery.

Let me research the rules for sending plant material abroad and see if it's something that can be done. I would like to help people out, but I don't want to violate any laws.

Please Keep us informed if you are able to ship Muscadine internationally.
Moh'd

plantrant

• texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2015, 08:11:34 AM »
Regarding the Triumph grapes being tangy-spicy, my 3 mature vines have that same issue in a big way. In a few weeks they will get topworked with dormant  cuttings from a much better variety. If existing muscadine vines are making unacceptable fruit, they can be grafted reliably by using cuttings that have 90 degree turns or forked joints where the all-important swollen nodes have tiny reserve buds that are barely visible. Since the cleft grafts heal slowly on the hard wood, the reserve buds will remain dormant for a long time until the sap eventually makes it's way to them through the healed wood, unlike straight cuttings with fat buds that too often bust out into leaves way too early and in a couple weeks just wither away.. The over-abundant sap will flood the cleft grafts unless a notch is cut into the rootstock vine below the graft area to bleed off the excess fluid before it reaches the graft. As long as the notch is wet each AM and the cleft is dry, healing can take place over several weeks. If the cleft is found to be wet during that period, just cut the notch a bit deeper and confirm the next AM if the flow has stopped flooding the graft because it resumed draining at the notch. Eventually both the notch and cleft will become dry, and the tiny buds will finally start growing out.